Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Quiz time, AR in AR-15 or 10 etc, what does it stand for and give facts to defend

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by tacticalgunner, Aug 2, 2013.

1. tacticalgunner

tacticalgunner Wilsonville The Man, The Myth, The Legend Bronze Supporter

I read a ton of web pages, forums, and it's consistently different opinions, So what does AR stand for?

2. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Armalite Rifle

3. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

YUP, that's what it stands for.

Brutus Out

4. tacticalgunner

That's what I thought to, but I have read other things too, so I can't find anything to back that answer.

5. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

6. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

deadeye - I agree that the AR is ArmaLite rifle and don't dispute the information from that link - I will say that most universities will not accept wikipedia as an acceptable source for reference material. Not sure why but here is another source: Facts | Modern Sporting Rifle

7. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Most universities "I" don't accept as a reference standard or credible source of education. Have you seen what comes out of some of these supposed higher education cesspools lately?

Stomper, orygun, H2O MAN and 3 others like this.
  8. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

LOL - can't argue that. Far too many people with masters degrees that wouldn't last a week in the wild with a tent, water supply, and a 22 with a brick of ammo...

H2O MAN and (deleted member) like this.
  9. tacticalgunner

I read a huge artical that was done in the 50's it looks like from Armalite saying that the AR abbriviation is actually for "aluminum reciever" That is what they say the AR is for. I have looked all over for that can't find it now. Hmm, oh well, just a topic of discussion. Atleast no one has said "assault rifle"

10. Page.k

Page.k Seattle Active Member

AR is ArmaLite rifle, but now that I think about it "aluminum reciever" maybe correct. The AR-17 is a shotgun with an aluminum reciever, but the stamped steel construction of the AR-18 says no. Aluminum was the big thing at the time for aircraft parts and they started off as a part of Fairchild. The current "Armalite" is not the same as the Armalite that started naming most if not all guns "AR-" maybe it's for a shorter company's name(ARmaLite)?
    ArmaLite AR-17 Shotgun

11. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

With Wikipedia, you have to look at the sources. They use a link to Armalite's history on the company website. I didn't read through a 16 page pdf but if Armalite says the reasoning behind the naming of their product, I would consider that to be credible.