JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
deadeye - I agree that the AR is ArmaLite rifle and don't dispute the information from that link - I will say that most universities will not accept wikipedia as an acceptable source for reference material. Not sure why but here is another source: Facts | Modern Sporting Rifle

Most universities "I" don't accept as a reference standard or credible source of education. Have you seen what comes out of some of these supposed higher education cesspools lately?

I read a huge artical that was done in the 50's it looks like from Armalite saying that the AR abbriviation is actually for "aluminum reciever" That is what they say the AR is for. I have looked all over for that can't find it now. Hmm, oh well, just a topic of discussion. Atleast no one has said "assault rifle"

AR is ArmaLite rifle, but now that I think about it "aluminum reciever" maybe correct. The AR-17 is a shotgun with an aluminum reciever, but the stamped steel construction of the AR-18 says no. Aluminum was the big thing at the time for aircraft parts and they started off as a part of Fairchild. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_(aircraft_manufacturer)The current "Armalite" is not the same as the Armalite that started naming most if not all guns "AR-" maybe it's for a shorter company's name(ARmaLite)?
ArmaLite AR-17 Shotgun

deadeye - I agree that the AR is ArmaLite rifle and don't dispute the information from that link - I will say that most universities will not accept wikipedia as an acceptable source for reference material. Not sure why but here is another source: Facts | Modern Sporting Rifle

With Wikipedia, you have to look at the sources. They use a link to Armalite's history on the company website. I didn't read through a 16 page pdf but if Armalite says the reasoning behind the naming of their product, I would consider that to be credible.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top