JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am planning on moving from Oregon to California. Since I am unwilling and unable to take most of my guns either b/c they aren't California compliant or I simply don't want to register them, I am planning on storing them at my parents house.

I have been poking around looking at gun safes vs gun cabinets and curious about for long term storage, no idea when I will be back in gun friendly state again, what are the legal ramifications of storing guns in a gun cabinet vs gun safe. Say someone were to break into it and steal the guns and commit a crime, could I be held liable for I stored them in a cabinet?

Your question is probably a good reason to buy a safe; which would be harder to steal or break into. That is why I bought one. I didn't want to go down the possible liability road. Your parents might feel the same.

Direct answer to your question; no difference, they could be 'stored' in the back of the closet and it won't make any difference if someone steals them.

I'll add though, you should have something to store them in, that you can control the environment, i'm just talking about keeping them in good working order without corrosion. Cabinet or safe is best for this, the latter normally 'sealing' more than a cabinet, therefore better suited.

Direct answer to your question; no difference, they could be 'stored' in the back of the closet and it won't make any difference if someone steals them.

I'll add though, you should have something to store them in, that you can control the environment, i'm just talking about keeping them in good working order without corrosion. Cabinet or safe is best for this, the latter normally 'sealing' more than a cabinet, therefore better suited.

^^ what he said.

Your best bet: buy a good fireproof safe with a plate steel door ($1000+ probably) and a mechanical lock and hide it in the back of an upstairs closet, ie. someplace warm and dry, not a basement or garage. Bolt it to the floor, and put a goldenrod (super small heater made for gun safes) in it.

Legal wise: don't post about it online due to SB941. :(

My suggestion is don't move! :p:D But if you have to buy a really good safe with a dehumidifier in it. Protect your investment and give your parents peace of mind at the same time.

Your best bet: buy a good fireproof safe with a plate steel door ($1000+ probably) and a mechanical lock and hide it in the back of an upstairs closet, ie. someplace warm and dry, not a basement or garage. Bolt it to the floor, and put a goldenrod (super small heater made for gun safes) in it.

Legal wise: don't post about it online due to SB941. :(

Family can hold guns for you under that law I believe.

I would only do a safe, a decent one, one that can be bolted down, if possible. Any safe, cabinet, etc. can be broken into with enough time and the right tools, but a good safe will make that really hard, perhaps hard enough that many wouldn't even try.

You do need to be careful with where the safe would be placed - as noted by several others already, if it's going into an unheated space, like a garage, basement, etc, then rust could be a huge issue for long-term storage. You definitely will need to consider some kind of dehumidifier, probably something like a Goldenrod that won't require your family to periodically recharge a different type of dehumidifier. You'd hate to come back home some day and find a bunch of rusty guns in your safe.

A safe and a pair of golden rods,they don't use much electricity.
And what Andy said.
I have stored 3 older guns in Bore Stores at my sister's place under a bed,for about 3 years without any problems. That was in Wa.
But that was 3 guns not a bunch.
A safe with the rods will keep you happier while away too;)
Peace of mind

BTW if it's just to store them and no one is going to be borrowing any you can get a smaller safe than you might get at your own place. Just get those silicone socks to keep from banging them together.
Might save you a few bucks for now?

BTW if it's just to store them and no one is going to be borrowing any you can get a smaller safe than you might get at your own place. Just get those silicone socks to keep from banging them together.
Might save you a few bucks for now?

Or a job box with a heavy duty lock and you can drill holes and fill with rubber grommet or silicone goo to get your power for the golden rods.

Would go into a garage just fine as long as it doesn't get damp in there - but you could always put a small dehumidifier in it and drill a hole for the drain hose and it should be fine anywhere.

Go look at all the safe crackers on youtube.

I am going more in the direction of gun cabinets these days. Maybe multiples, some hidden. Enough to stop a smash and grab thief, and hardly any worse than a big expensive safe for those people with the tools and time to break into them.

Go look at all the safe crackers on youtube.

I am going more in the direction of gun cabinets these days. Maybe multiples, some hidden. Enough to stop a smash and grab thief, and hardly any worse than a big expensive safe for those people with the tools and time to break into them.

It might be funny to have a visible, cheap one filled with cheap toy cap pistols and rifles. Once they waste their time breaking in, they've got squat to show for it - maybe even have a security camera inside, facing the door, ready to get a nice full frontal face shot.

Thanks for the replies. The guns are going to be vacuum sealed, the property is in a nice neighborhood and not worried about them being stolen. But in the off chance something should happen, I do want to know if there is a difference under the law of storing them in a safe or cabinet.

think I found a inexpensive safe, not top of the line but really trying to operate on a budget atm while Im paying down some debt.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top