JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah like I said before there has been absolutely no surface rust, everything looks brand new, just when I was cleaning it the brownish residue came up. I'm hoping it's just what DSAPT9 said, that it's just grime from the jacket and or powder, and not in fact anything rust related

Here's what worked for me. Sounds counter intuitive but it works. Run a few Windex soaked patches down the barrel followed by clean patches until dry. This takes care of any salt residue which is brown. Next use good old Hoppe's #9 as you normally would. A light oiling afterwards and you're good to go. Have fun.

Last Edited:
I preferred wolf over other brands when I had SKS's.

Never had any issues.

Had a SKS? Must have been a sad day when you parted .. I never seen any issues on any of my SKS's key was keep clean. Then clean some more. In the world of AK & SKS why they work awesome as a firearms go the reliability factor goes up id say 20% when they are clean !

Had a SKS? Must have been a sad day when you parted .. I never seen any issues on any of my SKS's key was keep clean. Then clean some more. In the world of AK & SKS why they work awesome as a firearms go the reliability factor goes up id say 20% when they are clean !

No job, no money....

I may or may not have cried a little that day:oops::rolleyes::eek:

I used to shot a lot of steel cased wolf, surplus steel, and various others out of my SKS and Vepr in 54r when I owned them. Some corrosive, some not. Either way, and trust me it was weird for me at first, I first cleaned those guns with water. That's right, water. Ran water down the barrel first with a hose. It would rinse away the weird residues from the salts, if corrosive, and powders they use. Then I'd dry them out and clean per usual.

Just a few thoughts.

Only thing I can think of is that residue is either something from the powder or bullets used. Or rust from the barrel itself. May even be something as simple as a reaction the cotton patch is having to the solvent.

I used to shot a lot of steel cased wolf, surplus steel, and various others out of my SKS and Vepr in 54r when I owned them. Some corrosive, some not. Either way, and trust me it was weird for me at first, I first cleaned those guns with water. That's right, water. Ran water down the barrel first with a hose. It would rinse away the weird residues from the salts, if corrosive, and powders they use. Then I'd dry them out and clean per usual.

Just a few thoughts.

Only thing I can think of is that residue is either something from the powder or bullets used. Or rust from the barrel itself. May even be something as simple as a reaction the cotton patch is having to the solvent.
This is why God made pressure washers.

I am fairly new to the AK platform, have only been using them for about a year. I was shooting inside so I was forced to use brass cased arsenal ammo in the past. I'm now shooting outdoors and have been shooting a mixture of different steel cased ammo. On my last trip I was shooting a lot of wolf polyformance ammo. When cleaning right after shooting I noticed a lot of the patches were coming up brown colored after I got rid of all of the black carbon. I have no experience with rust on any of my firearms so I'm not sure what I was looking at. There was absolutely no visible surface rust on any parts of the gun, but the patches were coming up really brown. Is this just due to the ammo being dirty, or is this rust on my gun from shooting this kind of ammo? like I said absolutely no visible surface rust, just brown cleaning patches. Sorry for the lack of pictures, I should have thought to take some. Next time I go I'll be sure to take some. I'm fairly OCD and want to care for my guns properly. I've been using ballistol to clean post shooting. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to put my worries to rest.

All of the AKs I have seen have chrome bores. They can accommodate corrosive ammo without rusting. I have no clue what the brown stuff is. I would try contacting the manufacturer or distributor by e-mail and ask them.

Silly question, have you recently blued anything in the rifle that may have left some residue and leaving a tad rust ?
Id think Copper as well seen that before. Thats my guesses.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top