JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What you have to clean a AK that's it I'm sending mine back I was told you don't have to clean them damm and I like this gun now you tell me I have clean it too

All of the AKs I have seen have chrome bores. They can accommodate corrosive ammo without rusting. I have no clue what the brown stuff is. I would try contacting the manufacturer or distributor by e-mail and ask them.

I hate to tell you but not all AKs are chrome lined. Yugoslav M70s and a few others for the most part have never been and most of the American made barrels are not as well unless you spend a lot extra.

As far as lacquer melting well it does not truly melt but it gets gummy and sticky in full auto or major mag dumps and was mainly an issue with 5.56 and not 7.62x39.

The angle of the 5.56 chamber is much less than the 7.62 so after full auto/fast multiple mag dumps if a round was left in the chamber and allowed to cool the lacquer would stick to the chamber wall and act as glue then when fired it had an issue of ripping the case head off. I had it happen more than once back in the day.

That is the reason they went to the Teflon coating.

Even though AKs are gas piston and most of the gasses will be let out the front there still are some residual gasses and power dumped into the trigger group when the bolt opens and the empty case is extracted. So if you go and shoot a couple mags full or more you will most likely get some gunk dumped around the trigger group.

My guess it that is what your are seeing.

Last Edited:
All of the AKs I have seen have chrome bores. They can accommodate corrosive ammo without rusting. I have no clue what the brown stuff is. I would try contacting the manufacturer or distributor by e-mail and ask them.

It's not from the gun. I'm fairly certain it's coming from the wolf polyformance ammo now. I shot the same ammo from my micro draco and had the same brown residue

But I didn't shoot anything from my Ruger and had the same brown residue...
Took me like 15 patches to get it cleared...
Not to discredit, just saying.

But I didn't shoot anything from my Ruger and had the same brown residue...
Took me like 15 patches to get it cleared...
Not to discredit, just saying.

Yeah I can dig it. Could also possibly be its 2 different things with similar appearances. Looks like the cosmoline I cleaned out of my wasr too, but its not. Who knows though. I wish I had a genius scientist friend who could run tests on it lol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top