JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in the market for my first GPS. I'm not a hunter, but I do enjoy hiking and exploring. And I think I might start doing a little geocaching as well. I'm looking for whatever everyone is looking for: The Best GPS, for the lowest price.

I've done some research online, and I've "tried" to ask some people in the stores the differences, but they don't ever seem to know anything other than what is printed on the card in front of the unit.

Me: "What's the difference between these two?"

Clerk: "Uh.. that one's got Expandable Memory"

Thanks Einstein, it says that on the label.

Basically I want to GeoCach, And go out in the woods exploring. I did learn that there are maps you can buy/download that show you whether you are on public or private lands and I think that is cool.

My research has brought me to this model.

Garmin eTrex Venture HC GPS Receiver

Which seems pretty good. Overall 4 stars with over 300 reviews. That seems pretty good. But there sure are a lot of sub par reviews on it.

These are supposed to be the upgraded versions of the eTrex, but they too get sub 4 star reviews. Plus I can't see a whole of difference between them. Kinda feel like Brian Regan's bit on refrigerators.

Garmin eTrex 20 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator

Garmin eTrex 10 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator

Any suggestions or thoughts? I'd prefer to stay under $200 and the lower the better of course.

thank you

Depending on how "out in the woods" you want to get most smart phones have pretty good maps and coverage. Nice thing with these is they update on their own. Just a thought.

I have a 60csx that I use when out on wildland fires. I like the color screen but I will NOT have a GPS without an active compass again. In my old one you had to move for the "compass" to work. With active compass it works standing still like a regular compass. I do keep a Silva in my pocket too for when you need the real thing.

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 76C and i find it quite capable. Worth a look imo. I know you want to stay under $200 but (really) and most likely you'll sooner want more from your GPS and end up spending more in the long run and this is just a shade over $200 Amazon.com: Garmin GPSMAP 76Cx Handheld GPS: Electronics. Just my opinion.

That being said, the eTrex20 looks ok.

Good Luck!

Does that model require the purchase of additional maps?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top