JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering if anyone else had a background check come back denied and how long it took to rectify? I can only assume that it's an error, I literally just got my C&R FFL license and don't have a criminal history. Just anxious to pick up my new pistol and shoot it! I was given a number to call, but it only gets me to a voicemail.

You were "Denied" OR "Delayed"? It sounds like delayed to me, if you were given a number. As I understand all kind of things can cause a delay....you have a common name, or same name as a bad guy somewhere in the country, or? Like my wife maybe? She had a minor indiscretion with LE 29 years previous, that had been completely forgotten. For her all was cleared up within a month and she's had no problems purchasing firearms since. The wife called the number, left her number and there was a conversation with a nice lady regarding the background check. With times being what they are, many thousands more people getting CCPs and buying fire arms there may be more of a wait.

Mike

Actual "Denial" is pretty ironclad, unless it's due to expired driver's license (which can't be used as valid ID for the check) or suspended DL (same). In these cases, a trip to the DMV will straighten things out quickly.

You may consult an attorney to look into it. Lost rights can be regained with legal help, in some cases.

"Delay" is completely different. Those are usually resolved inside of 30 days, though I know of a guy who has been on Delay from 10/2012 to present.

I was told I was denied specifically. The FFL mentioned if it had been an address or something like that, they would have advised her the specifics, but that they won't on a denial. I did include my social, and as I said before, I just recently got my C&R FFL. So I know all my information is updated. The number given to me is just a message line, which is kind of annoying since it gives me the impression that I won't be able to speak directly to anyone to get it clarified.

I wouldn't think I would need an attorney, I've never been arrested, no court cases etc. Just trying to figure out if there is something more I should be doing to correct this as opposed to just waiting for a callback from a voicemail line.

" I wouldn't think I would need an attorney, I've never been arrested, no court cases etc. Just trying to figure out if there is something more I should be doing to correct this as opposed to just waiting for a callback from a voicemail line. "

What action have you taken so far? You need to respond to a denial. I don't know how Oregon handles background checks but in Washington they are done through the federal system. If you get a denial that you don't think you deserve then there is an appeal process and the dealer has to give you the paperwork to start the process. I would guess Oregon would have a similar process. You do not need an attorney at this time and one would be of no use in the initial appeal process. The federal appeal has a kind of quick short form process that is usually useless but worth a shot. The rest of the process is a "pita" and will cost you a little money for LE dept. fingerprints and weeks or months to resolve. I have successfully appealed 2 or 3 denials and the dealer then has to remove your denial from his records, even if there is no sale. You need to just follow the system and get your record cleared. The record now shows you as a "prohibited person". In the end it is usually a screw up on their end. Good luck.
And I had a WA CPL when this happened.

You are right, I'm downloading the federal forms now. The only thing the state of Oregon offers is this stupid message line.

Regarding the Utah CHL, as I said previously, I recently got a C&R FFL, I would think the ATF would have gone through my records when that was done and notified me of any issues there may be.

Just to confirm, you're calling the challenge line: 503-373-1808.

Here is the OSP eligibility list: <broken link removed>

Sounds like a very frustrating situation. Hopefully, it gets resolved quickly.

Yeah, that's the line. It's only a message line. No people on the other end.

Yeah, I know I don't have anything that would disqualify me. I've bought two firearms in the past couple of months with no problems and acquired the FFL. I don't even have a speeding ticket in the past five years. Very frustrating and the more I read online about this, the more it looks like it's going to take a while to get straightened out.

I gave you my experience in WA where ffls us the federal NICS call for background calls. In OR do ffls use the federal NICS or OSP for background calls? I don't know but bring this up so you'll appeal to the correct agency. Your ffl who got the denial for your purchase should have proper instructions for an appeal and will give you the transaction number of your attempted purchase. Don't jump around trying to do your own process, just follow the instructions given you. If it involves a phone message procedure then you will just have to deal with it. Not following instructions with these agencies will get you nowhere.

Actual "Denial" is pretty ironclad, unless it's due to expired driver's license (which can't be used as valid ID for the check) or suspended DL (same). In these cases, a trip to the DMV will straighten things out quickly.

These days you need to dig out your Birth Certificate before going to the Oregon DMV.

You are right, FICS is the oregon setup and it's state controlled. The only means of appeal is leave a voicemail. Bummer.

Incidentally, while you are allowed to challenge an appeal directly with NCIS, they require the transaction number associated with the denial. The Oregon system does not, however, issue a transaction number in the event of a denial. Which seems rather odd that they don't have a way of tracking such instances that anyone else can document.

Come on guys, this is Oregon.

It takes days for the rider to deliver your message to an office, another couple of weeks for someone to ride to the capitol and check the official records in the BOOKS and then they have to ride back to their office so they can dispatch yet another rider to deliver the letter to you.

You're acting as if it's the 20th century or something.

I know it's frustrating but with the lack of modern technology, we get what we get.

Seems like someone should look at your recent legal purchases and your being granted an FFL ought to tell an intelligent person there's a simple mistake somewhere.

Hope you keep us updated.

I ran into some trouble when applying for my WA CPL, apparently there's a guy with the same name and DOB that had multiple felonies. I gave them my SS# and cleared everything up. I also ran into trouble while applying for some loans, as there's another guy, same name and DOB as me, that owes the IRS like 25 grand, and he lives 2-3 miles from me. Never had issues with BGCs on firearms though, good luck!

Come on guys, this is Oregon.

It takes days for the rider to deliver your message to an office, another couple of weeks for someone to ride to the capitol and check the official records in the BOOKS and then they have to ride back to their office so they can dispatch yet another rider to deliver the letter to you.

You're acting as if it's the 20th century or something.

I know it's frustrating but with the lack of modern technology, we get what we get.

Seems like someone should look at your recent legal purchases and your being granted an FFL ought to tell an intelligent person there's a simple mistake somewhere.

Hope you keep us updated.

.???

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews