JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just heard about Buttermilk pie last night, (I thought I knew southern cooking!) and I have a neighbor that's making one.
I can't wait to try it either!!
That one looks to die for BTW,...

I've been told it tastes a lot like Crème brûlée - if that's true, it should be mighty tasty!

I'm on a diet and I have already lost over 30lbs so this holiday season is going to be very hard for me. I was by no means huge at 6ft 230 at my heaviest this summer and I am now at about 192, the temptation is going to be hard!

Agreed, smaller birds are easier to cook evenly, but with some know-how even a big turkey can be cooked properly.

I have yet to try it with a turkey yet (I have done it with a whole chicken) but spatchcocking the turkey is supposed to give great results, without the threat of overcooking. I may just try it one of these days.

Spatchcocked turkey:

View attachment 407277

Funny you mention this, it's exactly what I'm trying this year (also happens to be my first year cooking a turkey). I prepped it yesterday with a dry brine of salt and baking powder, letting it sit for 24 hours before it goes in.

IMG_6662[1].JPG IMG_6664[1].JPG

I used to give mine a cigarette, brandy, and blindfold and tell him he's going to a better place.

Now, I stuff and roast a few Cornish hens, and tell them they shouldn't smoke or drink.
That way....They kill themselves.

After I've made sure they have been properly prepared to meet their fate, they get stuffed, and roasted the usual way. I enjoy the smells of cooking as much as the meal.

Last Edited:
I was watching Gordon Ramsay (ya, I know, eff off) make a xmas turkey and followed most of his recipe. Stuff the innereds with lots of veggies, clarified butter for basting and cover it with bacon for the last half of baking. Its supposed to rest now as long as it roasted. My wife has already smacked me for touching it before she gets photographic evidence.

fILmVOT.jpg

Easy, I smear a paste of brown sugar, honey and mustard and bake it in the oven. My ham that is. I don't do turkey.

Funny you mention this, it's exactly what I'm trying this year (also happens to be my first year cooking a turkey). I prepped it yesterday with a dry brine of salt and baking powder, letting it sit for 24 hours before it goes in.

View attachment 407449 View attachment 407450
That be a knock kneed turkey by my definition. Let us know how the "virgin bird" turned out. All the particulars would be sweet.

So I mentioned my brother was doing the turkey this year. I had some side dishes I was responsible for. As we got close to dinner, he asked if I would mind carving the turkey as I'm pretty good at it and he doesn't feel as comfortable with it.

I always start by removing both breasts by carving down the breast bone and cutting up from below so as to remove the entire breast - makes for very easy slicing and a nice presentation.

I pulled the foil off the rested turkey and something didn't look quite right. The wings and drumsticks just seemed off for some reason. And the breasts looked smaller than I'm used to seeing on a big bird. Not thinking too much of it, I started feeling for the ridge on the breast bone and something just didn't feel right. The more I felt around, the more it felt like a spine. I took another closer look and asked my brother "did you cook this turkey upside down?" he responded with a certain "no". I then asked him if he was sure, the next response wasn't as certain. I grabbed the bird and flipped it over - there they were - two big, beautiful breasts! (Yeah, I know what thread that's going in...;)) He had cooked the turkey upside down unknowingly.

So other than the deep, deep rack marks in the breasts and the completely non-crispy skin, the meet was very good, nice and juicy. I know some folks intentionally cook breast down for part of the roasting time, but you always flip it over so the skin gets nice and crispy. Anyway, we had a good laugh about it as he shared the story of how he couldn't get the turkey to sit right in the rack and couldn't get the wings to sit properly. Made for a fun time :D

We are having a late Thanksgiving on Saturday (tomorrow). I started smoking Turkey several years ago and was told by the family I can never go back to oven roasting.

I don't know.... Its so hard to wrap the Turkey just right for smoking... Too tight and you can't get a good fire going to inhale...too loose and it's just gone in a flash :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top