JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wet brine my Turkey with fresh Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, pepper corns garlic onion and some apple juice. I then stuff it with stuffing, rub it down with butter, pour wine over it and roast it in the convection oven.

Into a hot fire to singe the skin till it bubbles and gets slightly crisp and dry, put in smoker for at least 12 hours. When ready to cook inject garlic, rosemary, tyme, pepper, and a little coriander. Stuff with orange, apple, and onion and bag in deep pan with potatoes, onions and carrots, put bird in oven up side down and bake till almost done, flip bird over and baste with white wine, pepper, salt and butter often until done! Save drippings and devide into thirds. Mix up for gravy and take the last third for the stufffing. We always do our stuffing with smoked baby oysters and sauteed mushrooms mixed in with the drippings! :cool:

Turkey log from that Qu... company actually tastes like turkey. My daughter eats it and we stock up on a few in October cuz they are hard to find come turkey day.

That must be Quorn? I've tried their meatless stuff before - it's okay, but I can't stomach it in large quantities. But for a meatless option, if there are no other choices, it works.

Into a hot fire to singe the skin till it bubbles and gets slightly crisp and dry, put in smoker for at least 12 hours. When ready to cook inject garlic, rosemary, tyme, pepper, and a little coriander. Stuff with orange, apple, and onion and bag in deep pan with potatoes, onions and carrots, put bird in oven up side down and bake till almost done, flip bird over and baste with white wine, pepper, salt and butter often until done! Save drippings and devide into thirds. Mix up for gravy and take the last third for the stufffing. We always do our stuffing with smoked baby oysters and sauteed mushrooms mixed in with the drippings! :cool:

Sounds almost good enough for me to blow off the family and crash your party ;):p

Come on down, will be plenty to go around!:D:p:D
Bring pie!:):):)

Actually made one today - a new one for me - buttermilk pie. Apparently all the rage in the south. Never had it before. Can't wait to try it.

DB841A9F-E314-47FF-BA05-5153B3EBA131.jpeg

Memories ... subjective ... personal ...

I do not know about letting ANY turkey set out for any length of time before wacking it up. But then again we are used to killing and cooking well done and serving wild turkeys and nobody died 30 years later from worms and stuff. We also tended to go overboard with quickly placing the still quite warm carcass back into the refrigerator somewhat overwhelming the poor old machine.

Our carving knife IS a 1858 or so Calvary Saber. Razor sharp. Used by the family in the South. The blade deserves some time off.

Yeah the old wild bird was gamy and tough. So what. We made it up with all of the removes. Plus all the good red. Plus all the port. Plus all the hard stuff. Lots and lots. Oh ... in our family during Thanksgiving and Christmas, the men do all the work. Yep. The ladies of all ages just dressed up in fancy dresses and acted superior and pompous. We men dressed up as servitors and served.

We are all planned to meet sometimes before Christmas. Twenty, (20) so far. Kissing cousins I have not seen in years. Humm. :)

You aught to see the kitchen AFTER we served up the big meal. We planned. We purchased. We prepared. We cooked. We served. We cleaned up afterwards. Much fun. Very good memories. The ladies wore fancy dress clothes. We served the ladies everything they needed. I mean EVERYTHING. We call it psychodrama. We play roll. Anyway, it is how our family does it all.

Respectfully. :)

I've always wanted to do this as it sounds so damn good to me but my family says no way.

Most of my family won't eat it - they like Stove Top o_O I make it for myself and the few folks that prefer it over the boxed stuff. Always some good leftovers - which are great for breakfast - just top some of the stuffing with a fried egg and you've got a fine breakfast!

Memories ... subjective ... personal ...

I do not know about letting ANY turkey set out for any length of time before wacking it up. But then again we are used to killing and cooking well done and serving wild turkeys and nobody died 30 years later from worms and stuff. We also tended to go overboard with quickly placing the still quite warm carcass back into the refrigerator somewhat overwhelming the poor old machine.

Our carving knife IS a 1858 or so Calvary Saber. Razor sharp. Used by the family in the South. The blade deserves some time off.

Yeah the old wild bird was gamy and tough. So what. We made it up with all of the removes. Plus all the good red. Plus all the port. Plus all the hard stuff. Lots and lots. Oh ... in our family during Thanksgiving and Christmas, the men do all the work. Yep. The ladies of all ages just dressed up in fancy dresses and acted superior and pompous. We men dressed up as servitors and served.

We are all planned to meet sometimes before Christmas. Twenty, (20) so far. Kissing cousins I have not seen in years. Humm. :)

You aught to see the kitchen AFTER we served up the big meal. We planned. We purchased. We prepared. We cooked. We served. We cleaned up afterwards. Much fun. Very good memories. The ladies wore fancy dress clothes. We served the ladies everything they needed. I mean EVERYTHING. We call it psychodrama. We play roll. Anyway, it is how our family does it all.

Respectfully. :)

I've never tried wild turkey (the bird or the booze ;)), though I've heard wild turkey is a very different flavor from domestic turkey.

Most of my family won't eat it - they like Stove Top o_O I make it for myself and the few folks that prefer it over the boxed stuff. Always some good leftovers - which are great for breakfast - just top some of the stuffing with a fried egg and you've got a fine breakfast!

That does sound good for breakfast, I would love to use a spicy sausage. My family likes the traditional stuffing that my Mom has made for years.

She uses the Franz stuffing mix (Croutons) apples, celery, onions, seasoning and the secret ingredient from my Great Grandma is some Sprite soda. My Mom and I always cook together as I love to help out and cook.
I have begged her for years to let me add sausage but I always get shot down.:D

That does sound good for breakfast, I would love to use a spicy sausage. My family likes the traditional stuffing that my Mom has made for years.

She uses the Franz stuffing mix (Croutons) apples, celery, onions, seasoning and the secret ingredient from my Great Grandma is some Sprite soda. My Mom and I always cook together as I love to help out and cook.
I have begged her for years to let me add sausage but I always get shot down.:D

My wife's family has an old recipe that goes back 4 generations - they love it, I can barely tolerate it. It's like a big lump of wet bread with sage flavoring. The flavor is good, the texture is off-putting to me. I started bringing my stuffing years ago (with their permission of course) and they serve them side by side. Seems to be the folks that are blood relatives of their family love the old family recipe, the married in folks like me, seem to gravitate to my stuffing. About 50/50 split.

Nice. I make a cornbread and sausage stuffing - just don't stuff it in the bird.
When it comes to stuffing/dressing, my favorite in my Mat. grandma's wild game stuffing. It can be made with cornbread or just regular dry bread.
It's pretty standard but calls for plenty of sauteed onion and celery, and browned breakfast sausage. Then add diced apple that has been quick caramelized in a hot skillet, and chopped hard boiled eggs. Pour plenty of melted butter over the dry bread cubes and do the final moistening with chicken broth. The butter helps the bread from turning into that gooey glob.
With a little turkey gravy it's a meal in itself. And the sweet-tartness of the apple compliments the sausage like nothing else.

Actually made one today - a new one for me - buttermilk pie. Apparently all the rage in the south. Never had it before. Can't wait to try it.

View attachment 407353
I just heard about Buttermilk pie last night, (I thought I knew southern cooking!) and I have a neighbor that's making one.
I can't wait to try it either!!
That one looks to die for BTW,...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews