JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,
Does anyone have a suggestion for a load to use with 170 grain cast bullets that is reasonably accurate and functions the action? I have a good stock of LaserCast 30/30 flat nose bullets and would like to fire them in a Garand (stock 30-06). A friend of mine thinks he got reloads with IMR 4198 to function his Garand with similar bullets, but it was 30 years ago and he has lost the load data.
I realize I won't get anywhere near the accuracy with a flat-nose bullet that I will with a spitzer, I'm looking for something that printed inside say 5" at 100 yards. Getting trigger time with inexpensive loads that stay on paper is my priority. I'm open to suggestions with other bullet weights that will at least get me in the ballpark. Thanks in advance.

Cast bullets are generally a no-no on Garands, as well as anything but 4895 powder (with a few exceptions).

One option for inexpensive reloads is to use surplus 4895 & pulldown 150gr ball. check out <broken link removed> for some ideas.

I personally like to use factory blemished 168gr custom comps with 4895 powder for the Garand.

I save my 170gr cast lead for Gallery loads thru 03's -- trying out TrailBoss and getting some good results. Others have used Unique, and 2400 with good results.

Mark W, the commenters at that THR link recommended against cast at first, but were way more positive when the guy mentioned he would use gas checks. I should have mentioned that myself. My 170s are gas check type. The guy originating the thread later said he got good accuracy with 35 gr 4895, which sounds like a pretty heavy load for cast. Looks like cast bullets WITH G.C. are ok, I will give them a try and see what groups I get.

SAR, commenter "parashooter" on <broken link removed> gave a very thorough response & others suggested loads. I bookmarked that thread.

Thanks again!

I have shot Garands for many years in competition. I shutter at the thought of sending a cast bullet down the barrel!! You are going to plug up the gas system.
When shooting the Garand with reloads or factory ammo is important not to exceed the gas port pressure or you risk bending your OP rod. Even factory ammo may not be correct. When reloading for the Garand you want to select a slow burning powder. IMR 4895, IMR 4064, AA2520. My favorite load is 168 Sierrra Match Kings with 46 grains of IMR 4064, LC brass. For cheaper bullets I have had good success with Remington 150 Pointed soft point. This is a flat bottom bullet that I load longer out past the cranuler. You can buy them in bulk at Midway.

As fun as this sounds... cast in garands only works as a straight pull bolt action. Most of the people on the castboolits forum are doing it this way, and have in some way altered the gas system to make it work this way even with full power ammo.

If you want cheap bullets, PRVI makes a 150gr FMJ-FB that is a spot on copy of M2 ball bullets, load that up with your 4895 and you're pretty much shooting an original M2 Ball load.

My question was probably already answered here. But I just want to see if there is any more ammunition, new production ammo, that I can safely use in my 54 Garand. PRVI and is there anything else? Or what bullet weight and powder load ishould look for?
Thanks guys.

Hornady makes a match grade Garand load. VERY expensive. Federal-American Eagle has a Garand safe load as well at a reasonable price.

The best deal right now, is to get M2 spec loads via CMP.

Hornady makes a match grade Garand load. VERY expensive. Federal-American Eagle has a Garand safe load as well at a reasonable price.

The best deal right now, is to get M2 spec loads via CMP.

Yeah. i actually ordered mine at the same time with Garand and i got garand a month ago and ammo is still in process.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top