JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Comparators are just that. They are used to give comparative measurements and are not an absolute. They are far more accurate than measuring base to tip of bullet.

That being said, I use Sinclair hex nut comparators.

That's what I like about this hand loading. Making my own way. I didn't have factory ammo to start with this time. I'll not be getting the comparator now. Seems if I were to do that I'd need to get the OAL gauge and modified cases too. Not going down that rabbit hole at this time.
There's no need for an OAL gauge when using bullet comparators. Besides comparing bullets the comparator is just another way to verify the bullets are seating properly. Doesn't matter if the OAL of the cartridge is mag length, touching the lands, or something in between.

I've started using comparators in the last couple months so the best way to explain might be to describe how I've started using them.

Pre-Comparator
Load the first 3-5 cartridges. Measure OAL of each and compare to what I wrote down in my "recipe". Knowing bullet lengths might vary 0.005-0.010 due to tip deformities I try to see if there's a consensus of 2-3 cartridges which match my recipe value. Adjust die and repeat until measured value matches recipe value. Load away.

With Comparator
Load the first one, maybe two cartridges. Measure using the comparator and compare to what I wrote down in my "recipe". Because variation between bullets on this aspect is very small I can get away with testing only one, maybe two cartridges. Adjust die and repeat until measured value matches recipe comparator value. As a sanity check measure the OAL just once. Load away.

The key question is: Do I use a micrometer style seating die? If the answer is "no" chances are you're probably not worried about tiny fluctuations in seating depths. So a comparator is not adding anything of real value. But if the answer is "yes" then a comparator compliments a fine-adjustment die to really nail down consistency.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top