JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have the Hornady head space comparator. Looking at maybe getting the "Bullet" comparator. Is that body the same for both bullet and head space comparators? I read some but it didn't say.

The headspace & bullet comparators fit into the same red cylindrical piece that clamps onto your caliper jaws. You'll likely have to re zero each time you switch.

Good job guys, thanks.

It was passing thought to get one of these. The red "thing' is cheap, it's the collets that cost. For what they are.

Unless you're shooting bench rest and have a rifle capable of one hole groups you're probably wasting time and money. But of course it's your time and money.

Yes I understand. I use that on a regular basis to keep me from going to far into the rabbit hole.

The reason I was thinking about this was my recent faux pas of not confirming the, new to me round I loaded, would fit in the chamber. The tool looked like a bit of fun to play with. Not a necessity though.

If it fits in this it will fit your rifle. And it requires no adjustment.

I must be missing something. I have COAL, trim to/max length data, and the headspace comparator, and a chamber to drop sized/un-sized cases into. And the chamber to check loaded rounds for fit. $39.00 seems like too much money to put out for every you load. And it doesn't tell you if your particular bullet will fit the barrel without hitting the lands!

The bullet comparator is to get an accurate length measurement off the 'O' give of the bullet not the tip.
Since match bullets like Sierra March Kings vary in length due to the hollow point design.

And it doesn't tell you if your particular bullet will fit the barrel without hitting the lands!
That's why each cartridge has a recommended overall length in the book. All you need do is ink up the bullet with a black marker and chamber it, if the bullet gets marked from the lands you will know it. As well as being difficult to close the bolt normally. Generally speaking as long as you're not using the heaviest and longest bullets you should not have a problem.

The bullet comparator is to get a accurate length measurement off the 'O' give of the bullet not the tip.
Since match bullets like Sierra March Kings vary in length due to the hollow point design.
I got that finally. You also use it in conjunction, or instead of...
https://www.hornady.com/modified-cases#!/
I'm not at that point. Looks like a fun toy though! :D

Unless you're shooting bench rest and have a rifle capable of one hole groups you're probably wasting time and money. But of course it's your time and money.
I respectfully disagree, but that's what makes America great!

I use the tool to find distance to the lands in most of my rifle loads. Groups can be shrank to a good degree by playing with bullet seating depth.

Even those cheap non-bench rest Savage rifles you can buy for under $400.

I use the tool to find distance to the lands in most of my rifle loads. Groups can be shrank to a good degree by playing with bullet seating depth.

Even those cheap non-bench rest Savage rifles you can buy for under $400.
This.

I've got a $500 savage shooting .3" groups thus far. Used the bullet comparator to find my lands and I usually back off .002 when loading.

Hoping I can get it to .25" which would be nuts considering the bullet diameter is .243

My philosophy is to tailor my loads to what works and what it necessary. I've seen plenty of people sighting in their rifle (I work a range several times a year and usually see 30 people or more) that will shoot better than quarter sized groups with good ammunition. The majority shoot not that good.

My philosophy is to tailor my loads to what works and what it necessary. I've seen plenty of people sighting in their rifle (I work a range several times a year and usually see 30 people or more) that will shoot better than quarter sized groups with good ammunition. The majority shoot not that good.
Can't say I disagree with any of that.

What brought this question on was loading for this Winchester 94. A plain old Berry's 150 gr flat point. That's what the gun wants! Book data, three different sources, gave OAL way long, at 2.550". Won't chamber rounds. I pulled bullets/dumped powder, processed the brass and made a dummy round. Turns out I had to shorten OAL to 2.470". Best I can figure, without a bullet comparator, I've got around .003"-.005" off the lands.

As usual, I appreciate you guys here.

What brought this question on was loading for this Winchester 94. A plain old Berry's 150 gr flat point. That's what the gun wants! Book data, three different sources, gave OAL way long, at 2.550". Won't chamber rounds. I pulled bullets/dumped powder, processed the brass and made a dummy round. Turns out I had to shorten OAL to 2.470". Best I can figure, without a bullet comparator, I've got around .003"-.005" off the lands.

As usual, I appreciate you guys here.
That's the thing, with different flat point bullets, youll get different ogives. Most don't own a proper ogive set so data publishers use OAL instead of length to ogive. In this reason, owning a bullet comparator is useful outside the spectrum of precision use.

That's the thing, with different flat point bullets, youll get different ogives. Most don't own a proper ogive set so data publishers use OAL instead of length to ogive. In this reason, owning a bullet comparator is useful outside the spectrum of precision use.
That's what I like about this hand loading. Making my own way. I didn't have factory ammo to start with this time. I'll not be getting the comparator now. Seems if I were to do that I'd need to get the OAL gauge and modified cases too. Not going down that rabbit hole at this time.

That's what I like about this hand loading. Making my own way. I didn't have factory ammo to start with this time. I'll not be getting the comparator now. Seems if I were to do that I'd need to get the OAL gauge and modified cases too. Not going down that rabbit hole at this time.
You can make your own modified cases as well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top