JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a Lyman single stage press that has a strange quirk. If say I am bringing the ram up I can feel resistance more and more and instead of stopping at a reasonable point it continues and then it "goes over" like going over a hump in feeling, then it stops. Its hard to explain but it just doesn't feel right.
Is this what is meant by sprung?

Last Edited:
im just curious is this your first press? i think your feeling the ram connect with the die then cam over.again i apologize if im incorrect on being your first press.if that is the case back the die off till you feel it barely cam over,shouldnt be hard to raise the ram all the way up.if im wrong there, try some oil on the ram they get pretty sticky after some use or when new. best of luck

You don't say if your press in new/used, or with a die/shell holder in place or not?

I was thinking lube too. If I'm going to decap/size a bunch I always give the ram a good cleaning/relube, clean and relube again before starting, pivot pins too.

Mike

On my other presses if I'm resizing there is a point where the ram won't travel any further, but this press when I've resized all the way it then feels like its 'jumping over' a hump and then stops like its in a groove.

After reading some threads on other forums about" camming over" I believe this is what I am experiencing, this seems to be a complicated thing in itself, I'd appreciate input.

Last Edited:
i think you should try backing your die out a little at a time till you can barely feel the cam over.i do this by keeping the die loose,one hand on the ram handle one on the die just keep contacting the shell holder to the die while backing the die out till you can feel just a little bump.this should only happen with the sizing die.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top