Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Question about Oregon/Washington sales tax on a carbine

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Fordcragar, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Fordcragar

Fordcragar Renton, Washington Active Member

I'm a resident of Washington and have been thinking about buying a used carbine, either in Washington or Oregon. At least I think that I will be able to buy one in Oregon, if I'm not a resident, let me know if this isn't true.

Anyway, buying a used carbine from a private party, during the transfer is a sales tax collected in the State of Washington at the FFL? I would imagine if you were to buy it from a LGS they would charge you the tax. Then if I were to buy a carbine from a private party in Oregon, can it be transferred to me in Oregon at a FFL, if I am not a resident?

2. The Nothing

The Nothing PDX Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

No sales tax in Oregon (except pot)
    And, yes you could buy here

206thsense, Stomper and Sgt Nambu like this.
  3. drstrangelove

drstrangelove Vancouver, WA Active Member

As long as the private seller gives a copy of their drivers license to the WA FFL, no sales tax is collected because there was never a transfer of ownership to the FFL's books; it was directly transferred to you, and the DL proves to the state the source of the gun, and it's tax exempt status.

4. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

The only FFL transfer you'd need on an out of state purchase to an FFL in your home state is a purchase is on handguns.

Brutus57 likes this.
  5. Fordcragar

I knew that hand guns would be a different procedure, where I couldn't buy one out of state unless it transferred to a FFL in my state. Then I would be on the hook for sales tax too.

6. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Yes you would, did that a number of moths ago.

Brutus Out

7. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

By no means are we suggesting ways to avoid paying legally due taxes!

I know.... some things you just can't keep a straight face while you're saying it. :s0140:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    Koda, Joe13, Fordcragar and 1 other person like this.
  8. Fordcragar

I would never try to avoid paying taxes. I also know what you mean about the straight face thingy too. :s0140:

Joe13 and Stomper like this.
  9. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Is your gas and time worth the drive?

Unless your buying $2k+ guns then your probably better off at the Cabelas in Lacy.

10. Fordcragar

It depends if you were to find something elsewhere it might be. We have friends in Oregon and sometimes will make the trip and include other things. We were there last week on business and did some shopping too.

Joe13 likes this.
  11. TCOV

TCOV OLYMPIC PENINSULA Active Member

There is no tax on a firearm purchased from a private party of any state by a Washington resident. The handgun must be transferred by a ffl in Washington but no tax is due.