JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a resident of Washington and have been thinking about buying a used carbine, either in Washington or Oregon. At least I think that I will be able to buy one in Oregon, if I'm not a resident, let me know if this isn't true.

Anyway, buying a used carbine from a private party, during the transfer is a sales tax collected in the State of Washington at the FFL? I would imagine if you were to buy it from a LGS they would charge you the tax. Then if I were to buy a carbine from a private party in Oregon, can it be transferred to me in Oregon at a FFL, if I am not a resident?

As long as the private seller gives a copy of their drivers license to the WA FFL, no sales tax is collected because there was never a transfer of ownership to the FFL's books; it was directly transferred to you, and the DL proves to the state the source of the gun, and it's tax exempt status.

I knew that hand guns would be a different procedure, where I couldn't buy one out of state unless it transferred to a FFL in my state. Then I would be on the hook for sales tax too.

It depends if you were to find something elsewhere it might be. We have friends in Oregon and sometimes will make the trip and include other things. We were there last week on business and did some shopping too.
There is no tax on a firearm purchased from a private party of any state by a Washington resident. The handgun must be transferred by a ffl in Washington but no tax is due.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top