JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm getting all my ducks in a row to get my CHL in Oregon (Washington county) and I'm wondering about some things before I do this.

I know that the law says if you are convicted of a felony in the past 4 years you are automatically denied but does this go for misdemeanors?

I ask because about 3 years ago I got pulled over on my motorcycle and was ticketed for Driving while suspended (long story don't ask.) I went to court and explained to the judge I wasn't aware it was suspended and he informed me its my responsibility to be aware of these things and wouldn't even reduce the ticket. (this is considered a misdemeanor is it not?)

So will this bar me from being able to get my CHL? I had some other traffic issues when I was younger as well but that's been a long time past and never anything of a serious nature.

Thanks in advance

Forum member "rallysoob" had the same angst as you for "traffic issues"... do some research on the interweb to see if DWS is a misdemeanor "crime", or in this case was a "traffic infraction"... as far as I can tell if it IS a misdemeanor crime, you'll have to wait for another year until FOUR years has passed. ;)

Here is the result of a a quick Google search by typing: "driving while suspended in oregon, crime or infraction?"

Driving while Suspended
Infraction 811.175 (1) (a) Driving while suspended.

Misdemeanor 811.182. Driving when suspended for recklessly endangering another, menacing or criminal mischief while driving; suspended for perjury or making false affidavit; suspended for refusing to take a breath test or blowing higher than .08%; suspended for being an habitual offender; being suspended for a crime punishable as felony, hit and run, reckless driving, attempting to elude, DUII.

Felony. If suspension resulted from conviction for Murder, Manslaughter, Criminal Negligent Homicide or Assault with an automobile.

Often a felony can be reduced to a misdemeanor or a misdemeanor can reduced to an infraction. Because of the seriousness of a conviction on your driving record, and the inconvenience of have your licence suspended again, you should consult with an attorney before simply pleading guilty or no contest.

Hope that helps!!!

I had just received my CHL about 2 weeks ago and I have the worst driving record I know of, you should be good... I have had 2 dws in the last 3 yrs. Not proud of it, but relevant. Your ability to protect yourself should not be hindered by your driving record imo and I guess the sheriffs dep felt the same way. good luck

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top