JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going for quail myself this weekend, taking my 16-gauge double, #8 shot. The barrels are ICB first with Modified second. There are grouse in the woods on the same property, so I've got some 1-3-8 mixed loads for that if I get around to it.

Last year I took a couple with 12 gauge, 7&1/2, at probably 20 yards. They were tasty. It inspired me to grow some Cotournix japonica (Japanese Quail) this year for eggs and meat. Turns out I like Calipepla californica (Valley Quail) meat better!

This year I'll probably use the 20 gauge - it is lighter to carry around, and certainly plenty enough for these little birds.

20 gauge is enough for bigger birds, too.
I kicked a cock pheasant going full trot as it ducked between a couple of firs with one shot from a 511 SxS that was setup like Tinker Pearce's.
1 oz. W-W D&P #6 loads. Good stuff. =)

20 gauge is enough for bigger birds, too.
I kicked a cock pheasant going full trot as it ducked between a couple of firs with one shot from a 511 SxS that was setup like Tinker Pearce's.
1 oz. W-W D&P #6 loads. Good stuff. =)
20 gauge is fine.......but the ammo is more expensive and not as versatile. In Skeet shooting, they move from a 12 to a 20 (and smaller) to add difficulty on the course. I have a 20 X 6.5-57 on a Merkel drilling. Very nice little gun but haven't shot it in years. I don't need any additional difficulty. E69CF5F7-AF1B-4F6D-B219-FC7929375AE7.jpeg

I'll agree that 12 gauge has more load variations available, but I can buy Federal Game Shok's all day long for the same price, regardless if 12 or 20 ga.
Tag on my Winchester boxes says $4.79.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top