JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going for quail myself this weekend, taking my 16-gauge double, #8 shot. The barrels are ICB first with Modified second. There are grouse in the woods on the same property, so I've got some 1-3-8 mixed loads for that if I get around to it.

Last year I took a couple with 12 gauge, 7&1/2, at probably 20 yards. They were tasty. It inspired me to grow some Cotournix japonica (Japanese Quail) this year for eggs and meat. Turns out I like Calipepla californica (Valley Quail) meat better!

This year I'll probably use the 20 gauge - it is lighter to carry around, and certainly plenty enough for these little birds.

20 gauge is enough for bigger birds, too.
I kicked a cock pheasant going full trot as it ducked between a couple of firs with one shot from a 511 SxS that was setup like Tinker Pearce's.
1 oz. W-W D&P #6 loads. Good stuff. =)

20 gauge is enough for bigger birds, too.
I kicked a cock pheasant going full trot as it ducked between a couple of firs with one shot from a 511 SxS that was setup like Tinker Pearce's.
1 oz. W-W D&P #6 loads. Good stuff. =)
20 gauge is fine.......but the ammo is more expensive and not as versatile. In Skeet shooting, they move from a 12 to a 20 (and smaller) to add difficulty on the course. I have a 20 X 6.5-57 on a Merkel drilling. Very nice little gun but haven't shot it in years. I don't need any additional difficulty. E69CF5F7-AF1B-4F6D-B219-FC7929375AE7.jpeg

I'll agree that 12 gauge has more load variations available, but I can buy Federal Game Shok's all day long for the same price, regardless if 12 or 20 ga.
Tag on my Winchester boxes says $4.79.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads