JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It was my understanding that the blue recipe Colt had used back in the day was a closely guarded secret, known by a few old timers, that has since died with the employees that had it.

Even if that is not the case, the amount of work needed to get a matchless mirror finish and keep it while it goes through the finish/bluing process is probably too cost prohibitive for them to consider.

Too bad. As much as I think Colts are complicated mouse trap mechanisms of a gun, there are very few guns with a prettier finish than the old school Colt bluing...
The Colt blue is not a chemical blue. It is a fire blue. The metal is carefully polished first and then heated to exactly the right temperature. The trick is to do the heating uniformly and to control the temperature exactly.

I don't believe any of the Pythons were ever fire blued. Colt had moved to a chemical process by he time they started python production. I suppose I could be wrong though...

Stopped in at Sporting Systems yesterday. They told me they had two, both already sold. They had two more coming in and those were already pre-sold. They said they were taking phone numbers and of course cash. Looks like the rush is on! We'll see if it's sustainable.

Thrilled they're reintroducing these. I had seen some other "new" Colts in the shop recently. I kinda guessed this would happen. And it's smart to do it.

However, at ~$1500 they're pricing themselves into a niche market and low sales figures. Maybe that's the goal. Dunno.

But the only buyers are going to be nostolgic folks who want one for their safe queen. I can't see many folks buying for actual use. Then again, maybe that's the way the revolver has gone for most people, anyway.

$600-800, I'm buyer.

$1000. I'd have to hard-think on it. I've passed on a LOT of $1000 Pythons over the years.

North of a $1000 I'd pass. I don't need a 6 shooter safe queen that badly, and I suspect most others don't either.

When was this thing released? I'm thinking of getting one too if I can find one..
Already released, out to vendors now, 1000's apparently, more being built all the time, so apparently they're popular and continue to be made.

I've heard, on good authority, that they're as smooth and nice to shoot as the originals.

Does the new Python have the same lockwork as the old one, or as the new guns?
Anybody know?
Having worked on the old guns, I know they were a real PITA to tune, fit, repair, etc.
It's not likely that the artisanship to replicate that build quality is still to be found.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top