JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How many .357 revolvers does a guy need to shoot targets with?

When i shoot targets its not really about hey, shooting paper is fun, its about keeping in practice with my weapon. So buying a gun just so i have to practice with it, when im not going to actually use it? Just doesnt make sense to me. Seems illogical. But you do you.
Again, you just explained your only reason for firearms, is to carry; your shooting targets for practise, to stay sharp for carrying is great.

If that's all you want from a firearm, that's great, but many of people enjoy firearms for all the other uses too.

To list just a few other reasons, you don't have to get them, your interest in firearms may really be limited to just carrying proficiency.

* Experiencing different ergonomics (handling/reaction/use/etc.)
* Their visual appeal
* Target shooting (not limited to paper)
* Hunting
* Gun-smithing (mechanical curiosity, repair, modification, upgrades etc.)
* Collecting
* 'Murica

That first point, covers a huge multitude of things.
Let's list why i would want this Python, my personal reasons.

1) I like the look of it.
2) I don't have a 4 inch revolver.
3) I want another brand (collecting).
4) It'll be fun and different to my 6 inch .357
5) It'll be different to shoot anything Vs my other revolvers/firearms.

Many people love firearms, and they all love them to different degrees and for different functions - Some more of those functions than others, it just so happens that you appear to only have a relatively singular interest in them.
That is great, but i hope this helps to highlight why others might have an interest in more than just a carry gun, and why they might want more than one .357.

I didn't care primarily for the caliber on the python. I could have bought a Desert eagle 50AE instead or a 500mag, but I really like the looks of the python. And its also an iconic firearm in Hollywood!Im more drawn to the high caliber stuff and The Desert Eagle is still on my list, I like the engeneering of the thing but it would never cross my mind to carry one. That seems uncomfortable lol. Same with the 6" Python.

Someone said:
"What I'm really wondering is if the trigger is going to be like an original Python?"
Probably better. Doing an action job on the old ones involved heating and bending the trigger where it engages the strut to reduce stacking. This involved a opening a can of worms with all the other stuff it affected. I did this on Det Spl once and converted it to DAO. It was a lot of trouble.
The new ones have to be made by workers who don't have the skills they did 50 years ago, so the action and finish have to be compatible with production by lesser skilled people.
Someone else said:
"How many .357 revolvers does a guy need to shoot targets with?"
As many as he/she wants.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Trigger is really smooth actually. No stacking or anything, i can predict pretty good when it breaks in DA. Never shot an old one but I'd say the trigger is WOW

How many .357 revolvers does a guy need to shoot targets with?

When i shoot targets its not really about hey, shooting paper is fun, its about keeping in practice with my weapon. So buying a gun just so i have to practice with it, when im not going to actually use it? Just doesnt make sense to me. Seems illogical. But you do you.

No offense intended, but you might want to rethink your logic. That sounds a bit like those who say why do you need an "assault gun"? You can't hunt with it. Why does anyone need a sports car? An economy car is a better commuter. Jay Leno must be an absolute lunatic, with all those dozens of cars that he rarely uses...

Why would anyone ever buy a $70k pickup truck? An older, cheaper one does the job just fine, and $70k is an unbelievable waste of money. (This one is actually my own personal opinion, but I don't push it on other people. To each their own, you know.)

My 2020 Python had to be sent back to the factory for both light trigger strikes and the cylinder issue. I felt the service rep at Colt was very guarded and almost rude on the phone. Hopefully this will get sorted, but Colt needs work on their communication skills. YMMV

I actually noticed something on mine. The cylinder really locks up tight and you need to really push it closed so that the latch goes all the way forward. If I just lightly close it, the latch will not go 100 forward and that makes it hang up. I don't feel like thats a defect but rather very tight tolerances. I have definately noticed that the gun runs better after its "broken in" a little. I shot probably 5 or 6thousand rounds through it already and had a few hangups and light strikes at first. Tried different primers and while federal match primers are the most reliable to me, it still ignites cci primers just fine. The most problems I had were with winchester primers actually, now and then I get a light strike with thoae in DA but its rare now.

Just my 2cents.

I actually noticed something on mine. The cylinder really locks up tight and you need to really push it closed so that the latch goes all the way forward. If I just lightly close it, the latch will not go 100 forward and that makes it hang up. I don't feel like thats a defect but rather very tight tolerances. I have definately noticed that the gun runs better after its "broken in" a little. I shot probably 5 or 6thousand rounds through it already and had a few hangups and light strikes at first. Tried different primers and while federal match primers are the most reliable to me, it still ignites cci primers just fine. The most problems I had were with winchester primers actually, now and then I get a light strike with thoae in DA but its rare now.

Just my 2cents.
Do you have an early build one? Colt know exactly which serial numbers they need to tweak to fix their early production problems.

Yes. Pretty early actually. My serial is something like 002001, do t remember exactly
Almost guaranteed they will have that on their list then - maybe contact them and have them make the list of fixes they're performing on the early models.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top