JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This year we had to put our beloved Tiger Cat to sleep at the Vets office. We found him before he was even weaned at a dumpster site in Tennessee. He was not even weaned and we believe that he had been born there but possibly coyotes had killed his mother a siblings. Anyway, we had tried to give the kitten away on the way back to Indiana to no avail. Anyway our animals are part of the family! He was 18 years old and had two strokes on a Saturday. And we made him as comfortable as possible until Monday morning when we took him to the vet to be euthanized. He died in my wife's arms peacefully, as tears flowed and we left. He was cremated and we have his picture on a little box with his ashes. He never believed he was a cat since he grew up with my Labs. Actually minded better on most occasions! :) There will never be another one like our Tiger!
Sniper 03

Weird how some threads bring on numerous responses, it's got to be saying something. I've done the vet put down thing a few times with our dogs and one cat. My wife and I go together, and damn, do we ever cry a lot. The first time the vet carefully explained about the pre-shot, a relaxer, and then the real thing. I bought into it and watched my pooch close her eyes, saw her breathing almost instantly stop, and not a quiver or shake at all. It seemed like peace, that's all, just peace.

I have lost count of how many dogs I have had to put down over the years ( in addition to my own, I used to rescue strays from indian reservations ) , some I had to shoot and some done by Veterinarian. A couple of year ago I met my wife who is a Veterinarian and runs an in home pet euthanasia service, I might be a little biased, but this seems to be the best way to do it. They get the ease of injection, in the place they are most comfortable, with their family (two footed and four) present, way more peaceful for everyone involved.

I have lost count of how many dogs I have had to put down over the years ( in addition to my own, I used to rescue strays from indian reservations ) , some I had to shoot and some done by Veterinarian. A couple of year ago I met my wife who is a Veterinarian and runs an in home pet euthanasia service, I might be a little biased, but this seems to be the best way to do it. They get the ease of injection, in the place they are most comfortable, with their family (two footed and four) present, way more peaceful for everyone involved.

I'm not sure, but I think it may have been your wife who helped me with my yellow lab. I agree, its the most considerate thing you can do for your pet. My dog Chip just went sleep in front of the fireplace just as he had done hundreds of times before. I promised him I wouldnt take him back to the vets office after the last visit when the vet told me there was nothing more they could do. Chip hated the vets office and I think this was the best I could do by him.

I'm not sure, but I think it may have been your wife who helped me with my yellow lab. I agree, its the most considerate thing you can do for your pet. My dog Chip just went sleep in front of the fireplace just as he had done hundreds of times before. I promised him I wouldnt take him back to the vets office after the last visit when the vet told me there was nothing more they could do. Chip hated the vets office and I think this was the best I could do by him.
Hi Crohnos, I am glad you were able to do that for him. My condolences on your loss.

I've raised bluetick hounds for a lot of years. Last January, our foundation female, Molly, turned up with bone cancer. She gave us a lot of great dogs over the years. She's buried on the property now. I was watching her lifelong mate, Boomer, this morning, and I couldn't help but wonder if he was thinking of her as he sat with his back to me in the warm sun, staring off into the woods.

She went peacefully with her head in my wife's lap at our vet's office. In the past I've put down dogs and other animals that needed it myself. It's never easy. This wasn't easy. I'm down to one dog now, and when Boomer is gone I'm not sure I want another. I get too attached.
16174969_10154879278284326_3095937391817951429_n.jpg 20756_224843174325_8124519_n.jpg

Blaming the gun for doing what is required to end suffering and bring the animal peace? There's something wrong with that. I had to shoot my Sammy (red point shorthaired Siamese cat) with my H&R .22 revolver. I cried for five days but never associated the revolver with his failed kidneys. Had I not shot him, he would have suffered for yet another five days before he died a miserable death.

There are times that you simply do what is needed to alleviate the pain and suffering of someone that you dearly love. Death is a part of life and I have dealt with it with the passing of four children and a wife. Everything else pales in comparison.

Trust me on this one.

Thiere is a service now that will come to your house and do it and take your pet to creamatorium all for a very affordable fee , you can also choose to purchase and urn and keep ashes, I have so when I die they will put all my dogs ashes in casket with me . I like that idea

Thiere is a service now that will come to your house and do it and take your pet to creamatorium all for a very affordable fee , you can also choose to purchase and urn and keep ashes, I have so when I die they will put all my dogs ashes in casket with me . I like that idea

I never thought of having my dog's ashes either mixed with mine, or buried with me. Thank you for saying what you said, I really like your line of thinking.

I can't imagine life without our dogs, we think we train them, they let us think that, but really, we know who is training who :)

when Boomer is gone I'm not sure I want another. I get too attached.

I have thought about this many times. I have come to the conclusion that we will never be with out a dog so I am going to go get a puppy either this spring or next. Our dogs are like our kids Its going to be a bad month when the current one passes on.

My wife owns Compassionate Care here in the Portland area. It's only home pet euthanasia. She has helped thousands of Pets and Owners putting pets down at home, 24/7. We also own a pet crematory so the vets take your pet with them and arrange all of the after care.

My wife owns Compassionate Care here in the Portland area. It's only home pet euthanasia. She has helped thousands of Pets and Owners putting pets down at home, 24/7. We also own a pet crematory so the vets take your pet with them and arrange all of the after care.

She has helped us - a huge thumbs up for this service. It's the only way to go.

I'm glad this thread was revived, actually.

I have personally put down a family pet. Had a cat growing up as a kid that got old and sick. Frankly I didn't want to take her to a cold exam room and have that be her last memory, so I took her outside in the yard that she was familiar with and put her down with a .22lr to the back of the head. This was 20+ years ago. And I'm now in the same position. This time is a little different, as the cat is my wife's from before we met and to be honest it's not friendly and hisses at me from time to time just walking by her. She's now gotten pretty old and is starting to have failing health. So it looks like I may have to do it again. I'm more hoping she will just pass in the night soon.

I'm glad this thread was revived, actually.

I have personally put down a family pet. Had a cat growing up as a kid that got old and sick. Frankly I didn't want to take her to a cold exam room and have that be her last memory, so I took her outside in the yard that she was familiar with and put her down with a .22lr to the back of the head. This was 20+ years ago. And I'm now in the same position. This time is a little different, as the cat is my wife's from before we met and to be honest it's not friendly and hisses at me from time to time just walking by her. She's now gotten pretty old and is starting to have failing health. So it looks like I may have to do it again. I'm more hoping she will just pass in the night soon.

I understand how it feels. It is difficult, but it is often the best way. It is quick and relatively painless.

I understand how it feels. It is difficult, but it is often the best way. It is quick and relatively painless.

I agree. Plenty of folks hunt and talk about a clean, humane kill. To me, my pets deserve nothing less when the time comes. Shoot, all of us humans should be so lucky.........

I agree. Plenty of folks hunt and talk about a clean, humane kill. To me, my pets deserve nothing less when the time comes. Shoot, all of us humans should be so lucky.........

I watched my wife Mary die a slow, lingering, death. Trust me, I would rather have it come quickly. No exaggeration at all. I have literally BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.

I've had to put a few animals out of their misery...only one I've ever had a hard time doing it to was a young pup that was on its way out. All others have been easy with no "emotional" issues. I think differently about pets as most people though...

Last Edited:
Just had to put my Red Bone Coon hound to sleep, when I was younger these things did not seem to bother me as bad but as I get older seems like the tears sure flow easily. She was a great dog, slept on the end of my daughters bed for 14 years. We spoiled her more than we should have but she re payed us in spades. Gonna miss that hound greatly and now my Lab seems a little lost but I am sure she will move on also. Damn Dogs become such a part of the family it is incredible. When I was a kid growing up on the farm dogs came and went, never seemed to phase me but this one seemed to get to me. RIP Carma Coon dog.:(

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top