JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What a beautiful dog. Losing these family members is always a heartbreaker. My condolences.

I've raised bluetick hounds for years. I've retired from following hounds though, and my hounds have retired too. Molly and Boomer were mates for 10 years. They gave us a lot of beautiful pups.
DSC00879.jpg

Here's Mt. Hoods Blue Sky, one of those pups: SkyWinNationalsCropped2.jpg

Last year we lost Molly to old age. She turned up with a limp which was diagnosed as bone cancer. She was in a lot of pain. She went to sleep with her head in my wife's lap. Boomer is still with us. I took some pics of him today, thinking he won't be with us too much longer. He's still an awesome hound dog, built like a tank and smarter than his owner. When he's gone it'll be the end of a way of life for me. Losing these dogs is like losing kids.
Boomer - 20.jpg DSC00896.jpg

they insisted he have a rabies shot even though she is registered and up to date.

In most (probably all) states, rabies vaccination is required by law, so if your pet was overdue, it was probably recommended for that reason. If the rabies was current and it was still recommended, then that's a different story.

I had purposely avoided this thread because I knew that sometime in the near future I would be making a hard choice about my faithful black lab and I didn't really want to dwell on it. When I woke this morning I didn't know that "sometime" was going to be today.

I just returned from the vet's office. Last night my lab wasn't acting right. He was having difficulty keeping his hind legs under him and was having a hard time getting up from his bed. Appetite was still good, no fever, and still doing his business outside. He had suffered arthritis in his hind legs for a couple years now and I had retired him two years earlier at age 10 from hunting and relegated him to a life of leisure inside our house, but last night seemed different from his usual stiff joints.

This morning I let him outside at 4:30 and he didn't make it back inside. He collapsed in the yard. I picked him up and brought him back inside to his bed where he then vomited.

A few hours later found me at the vet office staring at an x-ray while the doctor pointed out more spots of lung cancer than I could easily count. My dog was lying on the exam table head down and not moving except for the perpetual tail wag that he had for his entire life.

My wife and oldest son were with me and we decided as a family that there was only one choice. We held him as the doctor administered the lethal dose. I put my hand on his chest and felt his final breath and his heart go quiet.
20140111_081204.jpg
20131201_090741.jpg

I had purposely avoided this thread because I knew that sometime in the near future I would be making a hard choice about my faithful black lab and I didn't really want to dwell on it. When I woke this morning I didn't know that "sometime" was going to be today.

I just returned from the vet's office. Last night my lab wasn't acting right. He was having difficulty keeping his hind legs under him and was having a hard time getting up from his bed. Appetite was still good, no fever, and still doing his business outside. He had suffered arthritis in his hind legs for a couple years now and I had retired him two years earlier at age 10 from hunting and relegated him to a life of leisure inside our house, but last night seemed different from his usual stiff joints.

This morning I let him outside at 4:30 and he didn't make it back inside. He collapsed in the yard. I picked him up and brought him back inside to his bed where he then vomited.

A few hours later found me at the vet office staring at an x-ray while the doctor pointed out more spots of lung cancer than I could easily count. My dog was lying on the exam table head down and not moving except for the perpetual tail wag that he had for his entire life.

My wife and oldest son were with me and we decided as a family that there was only one choice. We held him as the doctor administered the lethal dose. I put my hand on his chest and felt his final breath and his heart go quiet.
View attachment 401030
View attachment 401031

So sorry to hear that. I've been through it myself, it's a tough decision to make, though the most compassionate decision. My condolences to you and your family on your loss.

View attachment 401030
View attachment 401031
Always a tough day and decision.
Looks like you had a great dog and lots of memories ... While I'm not glad your boy is gone... I am happy that you had a good life together.
Condolences to you and your family.
Andy

View attachment 401030
View attachment 401031
There's simply no words for when you lose such a companion... stay strong, rejoice in the gets times that were shared and the rich life he had...

Sorry for your loss Newhalemguy. Our dogs are family. We lost our lab shepard in November 2015 and then our Aussie /pit mix last September. Big hole in our lives with out a dog for over a year now. The wife is not ready for a dog again yet and with moving in a year, probably makes sense. Losing these last two dogs has been the hardest of all of them over the years. 20171028_193338.jpg

We have a couple of grand dogs and one is over for a sleep over tonight. She had a hard day following me around today on the tractor and some other yard work. She is a sable coat GSD and one of the smartest dogs I have ever encountered, but most GSD's are.

I have another dilema....and this one actually ties together this thread and firearms.

My father was a houndsman. He ran Treeing Walkers until he retired. He passed away three years ago and when he did I inherited all of his firearms.

One of those firearms was a Browning Nomad .22lr pistol. That pistol was his preferred "tool" for dispatching bobcat, bear, and coon....and also sending a great many dogs to their final resting place, including family pets and hounds that didn't make "the cut" whether it was their time to go or not. Just so everyone knows, I shed more tears today for my dog than I did for my father. It's complicated.

So the pistol......I can't look at it without remembering what it was used for. However it is technically a family heirloom/firearm. I could sell it or I could give it to one of my sons without telling them the full history associated with it. My first inclination is to dump it and start over with a new firearm.

E

So the pistol......I can't look at it without remembering what it was used for. However it is technically a family heirloom/firearm. I could sell it or I could give it to one of my sons without telling them the full history associated with it. My first inclination is to dump it and start over with a new firearm.

Do whatever will give you the most closure and personal peace, and don't think for a moment otherwise.

I have another dilema....and this one actually ties together this thread and firearms.

My father was a houndsman. He ran Treeing Walkers until he retired. He passed away three years ago and when he did I inherited all of his firearms.

One of those firearms was a Browning Nomad .22lr pistol. That pistol was his preferred "tool" for dispatching bobcat, bear, and coon....and also sending a great many dogs to their final resting place, including family pets and hounds that didn't make "the cut" whether it was their time to go or not. Just so everyone knows, I shed more tears today for my dog than I did for my father. It's complicated.

E

Well guy, maybe you need to pass the old Nomad on for your own piece of mind! Anyone in the family a suitable candidate? I do get your point here, and it is complicated! I had a very complicated and at times turbulent relationship with my dad!
Other thought is don't make a decision while on an emotional roller coaster! It'll keep! Do your grieving first. :)

Well guy, maybe you need to pass the old Nomad on for your own piece of mind! Anyone in the family a suitable candidate? I do get your point here, and it is complicated! I had a very complicated and at times turbulent relationship with my dad!
Other thought is don't make a decision while on an emotional roller coaster! It'll keep! Do your grieving first. :)

Well even before yesterday's events I was strongly considering sending it down the road. This morning I've decided that I'm consigning it out at the LGS.

E

I may as well get this out here, amongst people who will understand! When I was in the eighth grade we studied a current events article about evil veterinarians who, instead of euthanizing people's pets, knocked them out, revived them and sold them for research! I was efngg horrified! I still want these betards to be resurrected so I can strangle each and every one! :mad:
I didn't trust a vet to do right by my animals until I was about 50yrs old! A center fire HP in the back of the head does the job and the animal is down in a millisecond! Much harder on me, but again, doing right by my friend.
LOL!!! What with this chemo, a couple of times this week I've thought about getting the cat to KMN!!! o_O

View attachment 401030
View attachment 401031

I am so sorry for your loss. I get it completely. I had a similar experience 4 years ago with my yellow lab "mutt" that I rescued from an agency. He was my faithful companion every day and loved me even when the wife was pizzed at me for whatever reason. He too went outside and collapsed and i had to carry him in. I had known the time was coming due to cancer and had the number of a vet who would come to the house and take care of what needed to be done in his familar surroundings. I stayed with him until it was over and then cried like a baby.... truth be told, I still water up thinking about him :(:oops:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top