JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't have pets, so I never face the problem. But I don't get that vets are "more humane"? What could be more humane than a bullet to the brain - your pet being alive one second and dead the next? Most humans won't have a death that easy.

I don't have pets, so I never face the problem. But I don't get that vets are "more humane"? What could be more humane than a bullet to the brain - your pet being alive one second and dead the next? Most humans won't have a death that easy.
I think you answered your own question in your first sentence.

Friends have taken care of their own pets. I never thought of them as inhumane.

I suspect it's all about whether the pet owner can mentally deal with it, more than which way is cruel.

^this. When you live with a pet you want to make sure it doesn't suffer when it dies and you want to be there with it. Many people would have a hard time shooting their companion in the head and having the thought that they might mess up after they have been by their side at all times. So part of it is more humane for the owner not having the potential guilt of knowing you shot your own pet.

Just had to put my Red Bone Coon hound to sleep, when I was younger these things did not seem to bother me as bad but as I get older seems like the tears sure flow easily. She was a great dog, slept on the end of my daughters bed for 14 years. We spoiled her more than we should have but she re payed us in spades. Gonna miss that hound greatly and now my Lab seems a little lost but I am sure she will move on also. Damn Dogs become such a part of the family it is incredible. When I was a kid growing up on the farm dogs came and went, never seemed to phase me but this one seemed to get to me. RIP Carma Coon dog.:(
Coonhounds get inside your head and heart.

Differentiating between people and animals shouldn't be a problem. Regardless of what people think, animals have but the spirit with what we, as humans, endow them.

Humans were/are made in the image of God, not lesser animals. This is how it is.

We must deal, and live, with this.

I think for alot of pet owners their pets are like a family member and while I agree ending their suffering is the correct thing to do, I would no take Grandma out back and put a bullet in the back of her head just because she was on her way out.
Personally, I take them to the vet and pay to have them just go on that long sleep.

As its been said before though, its all about what is best for both the owner and the pet. No disparage to those who can do it themselves.

I have no problem differentiating between the two, but when that hound laid there with her front legs crossed like a lady and looked at you with those big Doe eyes you could not help but let her into your heart. She was loyal and acted like a princess, her intelligence and stubbornness was amazing. Never had a dog like her and probably never will again.

I have not had to be personally responsible for this duty, but I know the day is coming.

I discussed this with a veterinarian once and they strongly suggested that you (owner) should be there when the injection is given. The vet said that when the owners choose to leave before the injection, the left behind pet always looks for them.

I figure I should be there for the pets sake when it happens. I don't know how I would feel about myself if I left a loved pet to meet its end alone or among strangers.

This. People need to man up for this. I love my cats, but if they were in pain or suffering and medical care could not fix them, I'd have a few moments with them and be there when they are put down, petting and comforting them, while I shed tears for them. They are like my kids to me. I've taken lot's of pictures and videos to remember them by for when that day comes. No more loving pets.

This is part of the "responsibility" of pet ownership. With the happiness and joy, comes the pain. the "circle of life" and all that. Life is never all hearts, flowers, and unicorn farts. I'm not unfeeling at all. On the contrary, I have dealt with quite a bit of animal and human death. Having seen it all, I have learned that nothing is easy. NOTHING!

It is all part and parcel of life.

Wish we could obtain the same shot and do it ourselves at home or in a favorite outdoor place. I paid the money ro have someone come to the house and do it on our terms.
My long time hunting lab enjoyed a last meal of sauteed duck and a bowl of ice cream. It went well... I'd do it again. I buried her myself on the banks of the lower Columbia where she retrieved ao many birds. Now she hunts every day.

Gee...I don't know. Maybe its the blood pouring from the head wound or watching the death convulsions of your friend who was alive a moment earlier.

A bullet to the brain may be quick, but it is far from gentle.

E

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top