JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You would be surprised at the number of non-gun owning Americans who think that you can just walk in and buy a full-auto AK-47. Non-confrontational education is the key to normalizing firearms in today's society.

I would like to state that this was an actual question. I am not very familiar as you guys are with gun laws so some of my questions might have seemed absurd. I don't see why it is has to be so difficult to buy a firearm when it is my constitutional right to own one. It is annoying when they create more laws to stop the criminals from committing gun related crimes, but in reality it only effects the people who follow the laws, like myself and you guys. Anyways I would like to thank you guys for clearing up some of my questions, I think some of you guys forgot the point of why a forum exists.

I would like to state that this was an actual question. I am not very familiar as you guys are with gun laws so some of my questions might have seemed absurd. I don't see why it is has to be so difficult to buy a firearm when it is my constitutional right to own one. It is annoying when they create more laws to stop the criminals from committing gun related crimes, but in reality it only effects the people who follow the laws, like myself and you guys. Anyways I would like to thank you guys for clearing up some of my questions, I think some of you guys forgot the point of why a forum exists.

If ye be for real, matey, try to realize we have enemies who drop in regularly to tweak us. By thunder, here be monsters, matey

And BTW you have no rights that you are not willing to die for..and Cali is lost for now.. only a Reconquista by hard core patriots can restore it

It's fine. I understand how forums work and how some people have nothing better to do but try to get responses from other guys on the internet. I be part of your gallion my mateys...

It's fine. I understand how forums work and how some people have nothing better to do but try to get responses from other guys on the internet. I be part of your gallion my mateys...

Well, welcome anyway and here's to either getting out of your current state or that your state will become reasonable (not likely so the first option is probably better if you want improvements in gun rights). I may end up moving if the Oregon legislature goes off the deep end like Connecticut, Colorado, or Maryland. I hope that doesn't happen but I think it surprised a lot of people in all of those places what the politicians rammed through using emotion over brains.

It is difficult to understand because few of the gun laws make sense. We get this question in the Memphis area (or any state border area) frequently. I live east of Memphis and I'm 10 miles from the arena that holds the gun shows in Memphis, I can buy, or sell all the standard fare (dont want to give the impression that i can go to a gun show and walk out with a fully automatic weapon). I'm 5 miles from the Mississippi border and 20 miles from the gun show location in Mississippi, where I can not buy or sell the standard fare. As others have stated, I could buy from a licensed dealer at the MS gun show and have it shipped 5 miles across the border to a TN FFL, pay the NICS and the transfer fee and be on my merry way, BUT i can not purchase from a MS resident. Now if I move across the border to MS (5 miles) and take all my firearms with me, get residency now the reverse of above is true. I can still carry concealed in either state. Does this make sense? probably not, but that is the law.

Makes about as much sense as not being able to purchase a BIG GULP in NewYork.

Last Edited:
It is difficult to understand because few of the gun laws make sense. We get this question in the Memphis area (or any state border area) frequently. I live east of Memphis and I'm 10 miles from the arena that holds the gun shows in Memphis, I can buy, or sell all the standard fare (dont want to give the impression that i can go to a gun show and walk out with a fully automatic weapon). I'm 5 miles from the Mississippi border and 20 miles from the gun show location in Mississippi, where I can not buy or sell the standard fare. As others have stated, I could buy from a licensed dealer at the MS gun show and have it shipped 5 miles across the border to a TN FFL, pay the NICS and the transfer fee and be on my merry way, BUT i can not purchase from a MS resident. Now if I move across the border to MS (5 miles) and take all my firearms with me, get residency now the reverse of above is true. I can still carry concealed in either state. Does this make sense? probably not, but that is the law.

Makes about as much sense as not being able to purchase a BIG GULP in NewYork.

Yeah, it's idiotic. You could buy a rifle from a dealer assuming it doesn't break state law.

I also think convenience stores and other things were excluded from Darth Bloomberg's soda ban.

Thanks for the replies guys. That is unfortunate you can't buy a firearm from a dealer, but what about from a private party? I am going with my friend who is an Oregon resident. If he were to buy a gun there and I was to purchase it after from him, would that be perfectly legal?

Eric Holder will run straw purchases for you.

Mail the request to the Fast and Furious branch of the Department of Justice in Washington, DC.

Hey guys first post here. I am a California resident and I would possibly like to buy a gun at an Oregon gun show this upcoming weekend. I was thinking about buying a handgun(I don't know if that makes a difference). I know in California you have to prove your residency by showing utility bill or something of that sort, but that doesn't seem very realistic at a gun show. So do I have to be a state resident in order to purchase a handgun at a gun show?

Thanks,
John

Your post SCREAMS fishing expedition..

I digress...

Just buy a gun in California.

Walk into JR guns in Livermore ( or ANY local gunshop )and tell them you need to take the HSC test, if you were smart enough to drive there you can pass it. My non gun owning wife passed it and got a 100%, she didn't read the book before. You will get this nifty little card when the gun store guy grades it, keep it in your wallet. the card says CADOJ HSC, I burned mine and giggled like a maniac when I crossed the border heading North in the Penske.

Go out to your car and grab your DMV registration for the residency requirement. Come back in. Put that , your money, and your CADL on the counter. Point out the Colt Commander, or variant in the case and say I would like that one. ( 1911s make a lot of sense in CA for two reasons. 1. It's a damn fine fighting pistol. 2. You don't have to get depressed when buying neutered mags for the damn thing from midwayusa )

Don't be afraid of revolvers as well. My 686 plus was my go to for quite a while. I always felt well armed. A high capacity pistol made little sense to me with a 10 round magazine shoved in.

Pay the man behind the counter, fill out your 4473 and DROS then leave. Hopefully you clear the DROS check, if not you will get a call shortly into the cooling off period.

Come back in 10 24 hour periods. If you look sheepish the guy behind the counter MAY ask you how to load / unload the weapon. Watch a YouTube vid so you are familiar and look like a pro, bet he doesn't even ask. Grab gun and leave.

Done.

You just bought a handgun in the golden state.

Lastly,

Move to one of these counties and get a Carry Permit.

<broken link removed>

Why would you drive into oregon for this ? You CAN be a gun owner down there, I was. Yes, gun owner life is easier in the North but it's FAR from impossible down there. You will be in and out of the gun store in 20 minutes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top