JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys first post here. I am a California resident and I would possibly like to buy a gun at an Oregon gun show this upcoming weekend. I was thinking about buying a handgun(I don't know if that makes a difference). I know in California you have to prove your residency by showing utility bill or something of that sort, but that doesn't seem very realistic at a gun show. So do I have to be a state resident in order to purchase a handgun at a gun show?

Thanks,
John

Every retailer I have been to post signs stating "Absolutely No Sales to California Residents". I think gun show rules are the same.

Not to mention I believe in California you need to take a safety course or some kind to get a handgun purchase card.

So, if a dealer would be willing to do it, they would have to contact a dealer in California. Ship it there. Then you would have to drive back and purchase it from that dealer.

But Cali may have other laws in place.

IE Not much of a chance you are going to be able to purchase a handgun (or rifle really) from a Gun Show in Oregon if you are a California resident.

Not sure if troll.
It's a valid question. Just one which has no positive outcome for the OP. I can feel for them though. It must be a pain in the backside to have to deal with CA gun laws. One reason why I will never ever go there again, even on vacation, until they made it so that visitors can carry, which is as likely to happen as Diane Feinstein falling off the Golden Gate Bridge tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies guys. That is unfortunate you can't buy a firearm from a dealer, but what about from a private party? I am going with my friend who is an Oregon resident. If he were to buy a gun there and I was to purchase it after from him, would that be perfectly legal?

Thanks for the replies guys. That is unfortunate you can't buy a firearm from a dealer, but what about from a private party? I am going with my friend who is an Oregon resident. If he were to buy a gun there and I was to purchase it after from him, would that be perfectly legal?

No. Interstate commerce in firearms without a license will get you lots of time at the gray bar hotel. It wouldn't end well for your straw purchaser either.

If you want to buy a firearm in Oregon, you would have to find a dealer who has a license to sell in both Oregon and California, or have the firearm shipped to a dealer in California where you can pick it up. Regardless of which of the two methods is done, the sale would have to comply with all local laws where you are a resident.

Any other method will get you, your friend and the dealer in a heapload of trouble.

elsie

It's a federal felony. Move to what is left of America, like I did

Are you sure you aren't moving to Oregon (becoming a resident) when you come here this weekend? If so, then you would be an Oregonian. You can always change your mind in the future and move back to California.

Seriously, though. How long would a guy have to be in Oregon to be considered a "resident"?

Seriously, though. How long would a guy have to be in Oregon to be considered a "resident"?

Long enough to decide to take up residency and get a driver's license or ID card and/or get some utilities set up in his name at his residence in OR and recieve the bill through the mail at that residence, IIRC.

Trying to skirt the law, especially when the current administration is cracking down on "illegal gun traffic," is probably not a great idea.

While I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt and think he's being serious....

Is there anyone out there above the age of 12 who doesn't know this kind of stuff (skirting the law and trying to find short cuts) is illegal? If so, they must have been hiding under a rock or something....or working for a newspaper trying to find a good story about gun nuts on forums...

Is there anyone out there above the age of 12 who doesn't know this kind of stuff (skirting the law and trying to find short cuts) is illegal? If so, they must have been hiding under a rock or something....or working for a newspaper trying to find a good story about gun nuts on forums...

I agree. The OP seems fishy to me too. Really smells like a troll.

While I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt and think he's being serious....

That was my point earlier.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top