Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Purchasing a firearm at a gun show as a non-state resident.

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by razzz, Apr 10, 2013.

1. razzz

razzz CA New Member

Hey guys first post here. I am a California resident and I would possibly like to buy a gun at an Oregon gun show this upcoming weekend. I was thinking about buying a handgun(I don't know if that makes a difference). I know in California you have to prove your residency by showing utility bill or something of that sort, but that doesn't seem very realistic at a gun show. So do I have to be a state resident in order to purchase a handgun at a gun show?

Thanks,
    John

2. nwbobber

nwbobber Longview, Wa. Active Member

I believe if you find something you want in Oregon, a Oregon FFL holder has to ship it to an FFL in CA, and you pick it up in your home state. Probably not worth it.

3. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Every retailer I have been to post signs stating "Absolutely No Sales to California Residents". I think gun show rules are the same.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Not to mention I believe in California you need to take a safety course or some kind to get a handgun purchase card.

So, if a dealer would be willing to do it, they would have to contact a dealer in California. Ship it there. Then you would have to drive back and purchase it from that dealer.

But Cali may have other laws in place.

IE Not much of a chance you are going to be able to purchase a handgun (or rifle really) from a Gun Show in Oregon if you are a California resident.

5. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Not sure if troll.

JAFO, duane black, Nutty4Guns and 3 others like this.
  6. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

It's a valid question. Just one which has no positive outcome for the OP. I can feel for them though. It must be a pain in the backside to have to deal with CA gun laws. One reason why I will never ever go there again, even on vacation, until they made it so that visitors can carry, which is as likely to happen as Diane Feinstein falling off the Golden Gate Bridge tomorrow.

7. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

Half Dome. We wouldn't want any chances of surviving the fall in to the water...

8. razzz

razzz CA New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. That is unfortunate you can't buy a firearm from a dealer, but what about from a private party? I am going with my friend who is an Oregon resident. If he were to buy a gun there and I was to purchase it after from him, would that be perfectly legal?

9. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

No. Interstate commerce in firearms without a license will get you lots of time at the gray bar hotel. It wouldn't end well for your straw purchaser either.

10. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

If you want to buy a firearm in Oregon, you would have to find a dealer who has a license to sell in both Oregon and California, or have the firearm shipped to a dealer in California where you can pick it up. Regardless of which of the two methods is done, the sale would have to comply with all local laws where you are a resident.

Any other method will get you, your friend and the dealer in a heapload of trouble.

elsie

11. razzz

razzz CA New Member

Alright thanks guys. I guess I will just have have to go through the California process of buying a gun.

12. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

It's a federal felony. Move to what is left of America, like I did

13. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

Yep, that would be the case. Don't envy you a bit and hope that Oregon remains free, although it is going to be a fight to keep it that way.

14. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

Are you sure you aren't moving to Oregon (becoming a resident) when you come here this weekend? If so, then you would be an Oregonian. You can always change your mind in the future and move back to California.

Seriously, though. How long would a guy have to be in Oregon to be considered a "resident"?

15. JAFO

Long enough to decide to take up residency and get a driver's license or ID card and/or get some utilities set up in his name at his residence in OR and recieve the bill through the mail at that residence, IIRC.

Trying to skirt the law, especially when the current administration is cracking down on "illegal gun traffic," is probably not a great idea.

16. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

While I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt and think he's being serious....

Is there anyone out there above the age of 12 who doesn't know this kind of stuff (skirting the law and trying to find short cuts) is illegal? If so, they must have been hiding under a rock or something....or working for a newspaper trying to find a good story about gun nuts on forums...

mosinguy1, Nutty4Guns, Redcap and 5 others like this.
  17. JAFO

Tell me how that holds up in court.

18. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

19. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

I agree. The OP seems fishy to me too. Really smells like a troll.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

That was my point earlier.