JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Steel case runs fine in all my ARs (granted I don't have any $3k ARs), so if it runs and is cheap why not? If I am just going out to have fun or shoot with buddies, why pay more per round than I have to? I have to admit though, I think my favorite gun to shoot right now is my moderized AK47 Vepr in 7.62x39. Shoots so nice, and cheap to feed. My ARs sit in the safe a lot now.

Also, I will let you in on a little seacret when going to the woods..........picking up your "brass" is super easy if you shoot steel case. Just bring a magnet on a stick.

View attachment 1183972
Harbit Freight sells one with a pull tab thingy. Makes removing them a breeze.
1650767140811.jpeg

Noob buys expensive gun, runs crap ammo through it, it doesn't perform that well, gets immediately disappointed and blames gun, attempts to sell gun to recoup some of the loss loses a little but gets some money back - passes savings in to others.

I'm ok with this.

My AK prefers steel case ammo. Never had any problems shooting that polymer coated Wolf in my AR either. But I'm just a n00b.

My AK prefers steel case ammo. Never had any problems shooting that polymer coated Wolf in my AR either. But I'm just a n00b.
Pretty sure they are not talking about AK's For purposes of talking about steel case use, considering how those rifles are (for the most part) designed from the beginning to use steel cased ammo.

Did dude clean and lube his AR before taking it out? My DDM4V5 and V11 work just perfectly fine with steel-cased ammo, though I don't habitually shoot more'n a hundred rounds of it at any one range session.

Also, I've not seen a lot of gun newbies going the steel-cased rifle ammo route; seems more of them tend to over-spend on pricier ammo they don't need. Saw a guy, clearly a noob, at SW, pass on the Frontier, American Eagle and WWB bulk stuff and bought some freakin' Hornady (I think) match ammo....

Saw a guy, clearly a noob, at SW, pass on the Frontier, American Eagle and WWB bulk stuff and bought some freakin' Hornady (I think) match ammo....
Not suprising considering there are a lot of folk that buy a firearm, maybe shoot it a couple times... but basically just stash it in the closet hardly ever to see the light of day again. "Peace of mind" satisified....

Did dude clean and lube his AR before taking it out? My DDM4V5 and V11 work just perfectly fine with steel-cased ammo, though I don't habitually shoot more'n a hundred rounds of it at any one range session.

Also, I've not seen a lot of gun newbies going the steel-cased rifle ammo route; seems more of them tend to over-spend on pricier ammo they don't need. Saw a guy, clearly a noob, at SW, pass on the Frontier, American Eagle and WWB bulk stuff and bought some freakin' Hornady (I think) match ammo....
Likely not, a lot of them don't even know about the lubrication aspect, or the cleaning.

Many times now, we are regulated to what ammo is on hand. I've had to ask what type of ammo it is. My BiMart has some zinc coated steel case I got just to try. Has to be better than Winchester WB.

I'm a 99% brass shooter but over time have collected a little bit of steel except for 7.62x39. For some reason it's ok to use it in my AR47.

I was a Newbie in the late 90's and I NEVER bought or used/shot any steel cased ammunition in any of my firearms ever.

I never bought remanufactured ammunition.

I am NOT knocking people who choose to buy or shoot what they choose to do when I say this.

I only went by what my GUN books said and what I was told by some famous gun people and OTHER experienced gun men.

I always used good factory ammunition (Top name brands.) and I tried out several brands, types and grains to see which one worked the best for any RF or CF caliber firearm too.

My late husband did the same thing. My late husband and I did not reload but we were thinking about getting INTO IT before his cancer discovery and death. He ONLY owned 2 firearm calibers too - 357Magnum and 22lr. On purpose.

I do not reload now and I did not reload in the past.

My MT husband does NOT use steel cases and he buys good NAME BRAND brass to reload with. He is picky about his brass too. When he has picked up some brass in the PAST at his range, once fired brass (From factory ammo.) from when the Feds, state or county practiced at our range... he would keep some or PASS IT ON.

He does NOT pick up that much brass NOW or much any longer except for HIS OWN BRASS but he used to do that a LOT. A lot - he always LOOKED around. OMG - did he look for good BRASS! Grin.

Right now, he kind of quit doing that or he PICKS IT UP for someone else to use. A couple of close friends who could use it.

When he got out of 9mm firearms totally, me too, he LEFT some good once fired factory brass ON THE RANGE GROUND so that some other needy person could FIND IT, pick it up and reload it. So that made some reloader VERY happy.

When he has bought FACTORY ammunition - he bought BRASS cased ammunition.

Right now, he is sticking to specific BRASS brands for specific firearms. So when he shot up some factory ammunition - he gave the once fired FACTORY AMMO brass to some of his friends, AGAIN, as in the past and he will continue to do that as he shoots up some more of his factory ammunition - a small amount on hand.

I was helping him rotate, double check and count some RF ammo on Saturday and we double checked his CF FACTORY ammo too. He has a small amount of 45acp and 30-30 Winchester on hand. Plus his Christmas gift of .380 factory ammo. He does NOT reload for his .380 Glock pistol and he does NOT plan on doing that as he said from the gitgo when he decided to get that pistol in that caliber.

The other day, he showed me some strange case that he brought home from the range just to SHOW IT TO ME. He saw it when he was picking up his OWN BRASS.

That odd STEEL case was deformed and split funny and it was NOT his brass case. But he was trying to explain it to me and he said that he had NEVER seen a case LOOK like that and he has been reloading since the EARLY 70's. I looked at it and listened to him. When he was done, we threw it in the garbage can.

Cate
PS: I never owned an AR 15 rifle or wanted one. I have only shot a few in my life too.

I only bought and owned ONE semi automatic rifle in my entire life which was a sweet Made in CT Marlin Papoose with the blue bag. Former rifle. My late husband never owned one either. We were NOT against them but we were not INTO them.

My MT husband only owned one sweet Made in Maine plain Bushmaster. He was not INTO them although in the past he did own a few other semi automatic rifles in his life. He was ALWAYS into bolt action and lever action rifles much MORE.

ADDED more.

Last Edited:
Someone mentioned the RUGER Mini 14 here on this thread.

My late friend - one of my gun and political BEST friends (A Nam Vet like my late husband and he died within a week or so of my late husband's own death.) in CO who is dead now owned one of those rifles and it had a wood stock.

I was out in CO on BLM land with friends. I shot B's Mini 14 and it was the FIRST CF rifle that I ever shot in my life too.

He loaded his own ammunition and he used BRASS cases too.

He was BIG into OLDER Winchester rifles and did tons of shotgun matches too. He used to go hunting a lot and was born and raised on the Western Slope as he called it.

I never bought or owned a CF rifle of my own until I moved to MT. The first one was in a 30-30 Win caliber.

Old Lady Cate

When a SKS could be had for $49.99, I bought one for each of the kids, and a couple of tin cans of surplus ammo for each. I was not real impressed with the SKS till I fed them some new comersial ammo, and realized "Hey these will really shoot.' We never again shot another surplus round.
When I sold the last SKS, I gave the guy a case of two spam cans with it. DR

Well, is it because it's cheap?

It certainly isn't more available, or at least in my experience.

Doesn't always have to be steel case either. Cheap remanufactured ammo also seems to come up a lot.

I'm confused at the concept and logic. It's not like this happens with cheap guns either, ironically those usually run steel case! No it's usually someone who just dropped 1k on a nice AR or a nice pistol and is like, mer gun don't werk!

I don't get it.
`Because its cheap`

Lock-Stock-and-Two-Smoking-Barrels.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR