JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
9mm range pickups stamped "A USA". I have the hardest time getting the primers to pop out. I've lovered the stem in the sizing die so much it almost touches the bottom of the case inside. And the primer popper must be sticking 1/2" below the case.

What am I missing?

round your decapping pin a little. some primers grab a little tighter. it happens a lot.

Certain manufacturers are more susceptible than others I've found. I think heavily crimped primers are a big part of the problem.

round your decapping pin a little. some primers grab a little tighter. it happens a lot.
Great idea! I've been having a bunch of trouble on my Dillon with rcbs dies. I do a full stroke, nothing feels different but the primer is still there. Gets annoying at times

Now I'm thinking - I did replace the decap pin and I have never really paid attention to the thickness of those. I'm mostly reloading using large primers.....

Now I'm thinking - I did replace the decap pin and I have never really paid attention to the thickness of those. I'm mostly reloading using large primers.....
RCBS dies use two different sizes of de-capping pins. Since you've replaced it, I'm pretty certain you have the right size pin in the die or else...& I'm guessing here, the pin would pull out of the die.

Dan

I had some 9mm range brass with a red coloration around the primer pocket... could not get the primers out... must be those crimped primer pockets. Threw them all out! Not worth the trouble!!!

I had some 9mm range brass with a red coloration around the primer pocket... could not get the primers out... must be those crimped primer pockets. Threw them all out! Not worth the trouble!!!
Red is usually a sealant. Doesn't mean it's not crimped too though.

"Primer pull-back" I think this is called. I had issues with it on .223/5.56mm. Especially if there was a grit of corncob media stuck in the flash hole. The tip of the decapping pin would grip onto the primer and draw it partially back into the pocket. Dyjital suggested rounding it. I went the other way and found that grinding it more to a point gave the pin less purchase. Whatever works. Could also be that a new pin isn't as smooth as a used one that has a less grippy surface.

9mm range pickups stamped "A USA". I have the hardest time getting the primers to pop out. I've lovered the stem in the sizing die so much it almost touches the bottom of the case inside. And the primer popper must be sticking 1/2" below the case.

What am I missing?

Weird, I had the same problem with some range pickups the other day. Same thing but on a few .223 cases, it was like the primers were extra long so I adjusted the decapper rod deeper and still didn't punch it out. I had to pull the shell holder ant use a small flat tip screwdriver to pry it the rest of the way out. I didn't look at the headstamp either, puzzling to say the least when on robot mode recapping hundreds at a time....o_Oo_Oo_O

I really noticed it using the Dillon XL650. Don't recall ever having this issue on the ammomaster2000. Could be just coincidence.

I'll have to check to see what die I've got in the Dillon. I believe it's a Dillon die.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top