JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I removed the anvil from a live primer and tested it in a firearm for firing pin indentation what are the chances I would still get a pop from the primer mix going off?
Internet inquiry results:

My 1st guess was no ignition, but seeing as I had no proof I went down to the basement and removed an anvil. The 1st thing that happens is primer powder fell out of the first one the second some stayed in and no boom boom.
oh yeah did you count and and see if there were only 999 rounds???? default_goof.gif
Edited August 24, 2011 by johnhurd

Spray it with WD-40. Or water....

If I removed the anvil from a live primer and tested it in a firearm for firing pin indentation what are the chances I would still get a pop from the primer mix going off?
I assume you are testing an unknown quantity, either the firing pin/ firing pin spring/ hammer spring, or the primer.
Either way I would think you want to make sure it goes bang consistently.
If the noise is not too objectionable I would fire the primer complete with anvil.
FWIW

I wondered the same thing some years back when I was chasing light primer strikes, but I ended up just rolling up a towel and putting the end of the barrel in it. Ultimately my issue was primers not seated properly.🤦‍♂️

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top