JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...and that's the rub.

You're set, currently, for what you deem your families wants & needs are. Fantastic!

We are as well, however not for many years.

Several years. I'd like to have enough on hand, at pricing I can afford, to be comfortable out towards many years. For what we enjoy (wants). Without such turning into needs in the future, at pricing I don't want to pay, or can't afford then.

Some folks are far less fortunate than the both of us. For any number of reasons.

Some folks haven't been thru shortages/blights, and are just starting out.

Folks whom have been thru blight cycles & hadn't planned accordingly whom COULD HAVE, then byach&moan about hoarding/price gouging/price fixing/market manipulation & on & on & on.

Have no one to blame other than themselves.
At EVERY panic shortage there is a LOT of complaining by the grasshoppers. Its the fault of the retailers, the "hoarders" and a few others. Never the fault of the people who are angry because they again refused to learn from history. :s0092:

So am I too understand it's all right to buy up all the plywood and generators in town before a hurricane comes through and then sell for a 300% mark up after the hurricane destroys half the city? Anything goes pretty much?

Oh, and blame the new price on the town folk.

So am I too understand it's all right to buy up all the plywood and generators in town before a hurricane comes through and then sell for a 300% mark up after the hurricane destroys half the city? Anything goes pretty much?

We sadly do not live in a perfect world. What would you have the "law makers" do for this? Pass laws against it? Be careful what you ask for. I do not live in a place where we have the big storms but, have heard some places that do have some kind of laws about this stuff. Again though asking for gov to get involved seldom goes anything like people think it will. Get gov involved and it tends to turn into crap. :(

We sadly do not live in a perfect world. What would you have the "law makers" do for this? Pass laws against it? Be careful what you ask for. I do not live in a place where we have the big storms but, have heard some places that do have some kind of laws about this stuff. Again though asking for gov to get involved seldom goes anything like people think it will. Get gov involved and it tends to turn into crap. :(
I believe there already are price fixing laws on the books covering essentials during declared emergencies.

If there aren't, I don't think there should be any added.

Folks whom holler on about price gougers and such during ammunition/component blights "something should be done"!!! Are preaching communism, and have no idea what they are asking, nor what the blatantly obvious (to non communist folks) pitfalls of those laws & regulations would behold.

Simple example being the recently proposed anti-2A bulk ammunition FEDERAL law. Dumb bubblegums...

The post I made earlier about a Strategic Primer Reserve would actually be more like lots of people buying up plywood in sunny weather, when the mill is producing a surplus, prices are low and everyone is comfortable. As we all know, that's the time to stock up. The shelves are full and there's plenty to go around. You're not shorting anyone; in fact you're helping keep the mill going so nobody gets laid off.

Then, if LOTS of people have excess plywood in their garages, when the storm comes they can share with their neighbors if they want to, or sell for a profit, or just keep for their own use as they see fit. If lots of people have surplus to sell then prices won't get so crazy.

Personally I see nothing wrong ethically with selling your own property for what the market will bear. I do believe it's unethical to clear off the shelves during a panic just to flip for a fat profit, but when it's something you acquired during the good times, that's your own business whether you want to sell it or not.

I know that's a dead horse that's been beaten for too long; people will be people and human nature's not going to change. I just think that with all the talk of scalpers clearing the shelves during the lean times, and how despicable that is, some people forget that it's actually a good and helpful thing to stock up plenty during the good times.

The post I made earlier about a Strategic Primer Reserve would actually be more like lots of people buying up plywood in sunny weather, when the mill is producing a surplus, prices are low and everyone is comfortable. As we all know, that's the time to stock up. The shelves are full and there's plenty to go around. You're not shorting anyone; in fact you're helping keep the mill going so nobody gets laid off.

Then, if LOTS of people have excess plywood in their garages, when the storm comes they can share with their neighbors if they want to, or sell for a profit, or just keep for their own use as they see fit. If lots of people have surplus to sell then prices won't get so crazy.

Personally I see nothing wrong ethically with selling your own property for what the market will bear. I do believe it's unethical to clear off the shelves during a panic just to flip for a fat profit, but when it's something you acquired during the good times, that's your own business whether you want to sell it or not.

I know that's a dead horse that's been beaten for too long; people will be people and human nature's not going to change. I just think that with all the talk of scalpers clearing the shelves during the lean times, and how despicable that is, some people forget that it's actually a good and helpful thing to stock up plenty during the good times.
My mind set is I'd buy up way more than I'd ever use and then when the supply was gone I'd sell at close to what I paid. I consider the firearms community a band of brothers in a way. And that's the feeling I got being new to firearms and finding this site. I wouldn't bubblegum my brothers over. We may need each other down the line. If that makes me an oddball? Well, then I'm an oddball!

Last Edited:
BiMart today (Medford, the main street store) had Fiocchi small rifle primers. $8.99/sleeve of 150 (same as sportsman's).

Bought 1 brick, rang up at $84.99. Must be a discount on brick purchase? So under my $.06/primer price.

There was one open brick left, dunno if it was complete or not.

No Fiocchi small pistol. A few sleeves of CCI. $10.99/sleeve, IIRC. Lady working the gun counter said they should get another order in next thursday, however didn't know for sure what primers/quantity she would be getting. Said they've been sending pretty randomly.

BiMart today (Medford, the main street store) had Fiocchi small rifle primers. $8.99/sleeve of 150 (same as sportsman's).

Bought 1 brick, rang up at $84.99. Must be a discount on brick purchase? So under my $.06/primer price.

There was one open brick left, dunno if it was complete or not.

No Fiocchi small pistol. A few sleeves of CCI. $10.99/sleeve, IIRC. Lady working the gun counter said they should get another order in next thursday, however didn't know for sure what primers/quantity she would be getting. Said they've been sending pretty randomly.
The Fiocchi bricks are cheaper than the Sleeves at bimart. I have heard that some of the bimarts have also been getting LR primers in but not many only a few Bricks worth at a time.

Since I don't live where they have these storms that is the thing I have LONG wondered about. If I had a home there I would certainly have pieces already made for each window. Cut them to size I needed, oil them and put them away. Every time I see the news of people who live there racing out to buy the wood it leaves me wondering why? Surely there must be many people who after one board up keep the stuff and are ready for the next? WTF do the others do after the storm passes? Throw the stuff away after they take it off the house?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

My mind set is I'd buy up way more than I'd ever use and then when the supply was gone I'd sell at close to what I paid. I consider the firearms community a band of brothers in a way. And that's the feeling I got being new to firearms and finding this site. I wouldn't bubblegum my brothers over. We may need each other down the line. If that makes me an oddball? Well, then I'm an oddball!
That would be great BUT, everything would be gone in seconds unless you had enough to corner the market. The grass hoppers would gladly buy all you sold and there would be a huge line of others wanting some too. I have been SORELY tempted a few times to unload some of my stuff when we have one of these panics going on and there is HUGE cash laying there. Only reason I do not is I love to shoot. So I want it for me. If I knew for sure when I could get more I would have zero problems making bank off it. When the great mag ban was scheduled to sunset I did make a LOT off selling off my lifetime supply of mags. That one was a gamble. If GW had put the ban back on I would have been kicking myself as I was buying some of those back. The money I made selling them bothered me none. People wanted what I had at a price I could not say no too. Now in the midst of some panic if some new shooter came along? I would have, and I have, given them some ammo. For the ones who just refuse to learn from history? Sorry, not my problem.

I consider the firearms community a band of brothers in a way. And that's the feeling I got being new to firearms and finding this site. I wouldn't bubblegum my brothers over.
Yes and no, in my opinion. Community is what you make of it, and there are good and bad in every community. I've met some of the best people in the "gun community", but I've also met some real jerks.

Over time you get to know who your friends are, who you can count on and trust, and that's your "brotherhood" that's not going to take advantage of you. Lots of gun owners are just people who own guns.

If hard times come and you find yourself with extra supplies, be it primers or plywood, you'd be foolish to sell it at cost on the open market. The next guy's just going to buy what you have to flip it for a quick profit. You'd want to take care of your own first, offer it to those you know and trust,. I've passed along ammo and such to friends and acquaintances for cheap or free, when it seems right.

On the other hand, there are plenty of wheeler-dealers in the gun community who would take advantage of their own grandmother and laugh all the way to the bank. I don't like dealing with that type.

Today, Skagit Arms in Burlington, WA had bricks and sleeves of Federal 210 large rifle primers, $100 a brick; $11 a sleeve. Fellas, it's my opinion that the days of $30 bricks of primers are over.

Yes and no, in my opinion. Community is what you make of it, and there are good and bad in every community. I've met some of the best people in the "gun community", but I've also met some real jerks.
Agreed. I've met some real dicks who were gun people.

I agree..
I don't think I have seen any other community of people who will as frequently let strangers use an expensive item they own (a firearm). Often at the range I have had individuals ask if I would care to shoot their firearm (I make the same offer in return). I have also made purchases of reloading supplies a few times in our classifieds where the seller shipped the item even prior to receiving payment, simply trusting the character of a fellow gun owner.
I very much appreciate the "old school / traditional" aspect of interacting with these types of individuals...
On the other hand, there some "sketchy" individuals who are attracted to firearms that you will not encounter if your hobby is a gardening club or swimming at the local pool.

Yeah at that price, local primers are cheaper to get. Sad to see that the price of primers have stopped at is $90-$140 per brick. As long as the shortage continues, I don't think we'll see prices drop again.
Sad part is that the only reason I can see for prices being this high is largely because of the resale market. People were buying them for $20-$40 and reselling them for $90-$180 and they wanted that profit margin instead of letting the resale market have it. Even with cost of materials and labor, prices should be around $30-$60 per 1k.
Sadly I don't see the shortage ending as it's created higher profits for them and it will keep prices high. But that's my view on the situation.

Yes, I agree. Last week 150 count sleeve of Fiocchi small rifle primers was $9.99. Today it was $12.99. Salem store.
Same in Everett, WA store. The sheet at the back counter said the old price. When I checked out, it showed the new price. Which I shrugged at and paid.

Sadly I don't see the shortage ending as it's created higher profits for them and it will keep prices high. But that's my view on the situation.
The only thing that will bring prices back down is when primers quit moving off the shelves. So long as wars overseas cause massive expenditures of ammunition, this doesn't seem likely. Which reinforces panic buying and hoarding. Which continues to support higher prices. When I saw those bricks of Federal 210's today for $100, I was tempted to buy one. But then I stopped, thought about it, and decided I really didn't need them for contemplated future needs. I was only tempted because they've been so hard to find lately. So I passed on a brick, but I did buy three sleeves, just because.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews