JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a direct account with Hodgdon Powder, and just got the 2024 OEM price list.

Everything has gone up, with most being over 25% and higher...so expect the cost to rise at the pump.

Just a few examples...

231 - up 14%

Titegroup - up 29%

Ramshot TAC - up 25 - 38% depending where it's coming from

IMR 4831 - up 35%

IMR 4895 - up 35%

The email that came with the price sheet...

Steve,
Attached is your 2024 OEM pricing.
With the current global nitrocellulose shortage causing a smokeless propellant shortage, we have curtailed the OEM channel.
This can change if the situation improves.
There are opportunities on certain products that are in low demand. Let me know what you are looking for and in what quantity and I can advise availability.

Oof. Any word on H1000 price increase?
$58.23per lb for h1000 from Hodgdon direct, not counting s&h.
  • The max order quantity of any powder SKU is 5 and we will only accept one order, per customer, per calendar month with a maximum weight of 48lbs.
Don't think I've seen them place this kind of restriction before.

I believe it, I don't think I've even seen this kind of shortage even when we at war fully with supplying allies in the middle east.
I was getting a lot of my powder out of Belgium, that stopped back in May of last year.

Am guessing here...but with the middle east heating up, and the ongoing Ukraine thingy...it was bound to happen.

Am comparing availability of powder and primers compared to 2020 (election and Covid debacle), and we're about 4 months ahead of schedule on primers getting a bit short, and 8 months ahead on powder.

I was getting a lot of my powder out of Belgium, that stopped back in May of last year.

Am guessing here...but with the middle east heating up, and the ongoing Ukraine thingy...it was bound to happen.

Am comparing availability of powder and primers compared to 2020 (election and Covid debacle), and we're about 4 months ahead of schedule on primers getting a bit short, and 8 months ahead on powder.
I expect that people are going to panic buy and pay whatever just to get it and most likely hoard it or try to resale it for a crazy amount.
I had to look up what nitrocellulose was and it seems like it's just nitric acid and cellulose, both things we have a lot of state side if not mistaken, so how are we short on it?

UkraineWar, Israeli war, and now a war in Iran is in the making. The world is going to war and it takes a lot of powder so this is just the start of high prices in my opinion.

I wasn't aware that there was a nitrocellulose shortage. Does this mean that Vihtavitouri powder will become the cheaper purchase, since they produce their own nitrocellulose (or so I've been told)? I've always liked their powder but it has always, in the past, been the more expensive choice.

I wasn't aware that there was a nitrocellulose shortage. Does this mean that Vihtavitouri powder will become the cheaper purchase, since they produce their own nitrocellulose (or so I've been told)? I've always liked their powder but it has always, in the past, been the more expensive choice.
Right now alot powder are 300 to almost 500 for 8lb, VV was still 350, but I believe VV is made in a non nato country so it doesn't have a shortage

Right now alot powder are 300 to almost 500 for 8lb, VV was still 350, but I believe VV is made in a non nato country so it doesn't have a shortage
Finland just joined NATO. Remains to be seen if Vihtavuori powder prices follow the recent price increases of the brands Hodgdon controls.

and pay whatever just to get it and most likely hoard it or try to resale it for a crazy amount.
I often wonder how much is 'out there' (and has been) hoarded for a LONG time.

I would venture to say the terminal price point has been reached and there ain't much of a margin for scalpers to sell at now. I mean is anyone going to pay $100 a lb for powder? (assuming scalper margins)

I often wonder how much is 'out there' (and has been) hoarded for a LONG time.

I would venture to say the terminal price point has been reached and there ain't much of a margin for scalpers to sell at now. I mean is anyone going to pay $100 a lb for powder? (assuming scalper margins)
I would suspect if things were to go in a bad direction for the good ole USA, $100/lb could be seen as fair market value. People will pay more when supplies dry up and demand remains high. That's why we're seeing powder/primer pricing we're seeing now. Twelve to eighteen months ago we couldn't imagine these prices. I can see it going higher as things degrade around the globe.

It's not cheap to shell Yemen either, just another potential source of propellant consumption…

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top