JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I was visiting my son in south Texas we went to a recycling center and found some lead. With the pencil test it was HB and three other small pieces were softer they were still harder than pure lead I am hoping to drop the softer lead in water when I cast and that will make them hard enough I paid $1.00 pound. Melting it down sure was lot faster then using wheel weights.

$1/lb is about right for lead. "Spot" lead prices are right about $1/lb right now so you did good.
As we know, WW's contain a lot of steel clips, who knows.. 15% by weight? and require labor, risk, time etc. to render so I'd say WW's should cost like $.50/lb.

Oh, and if I understand correctly, it's the antimony that affects water quenching and water quenching doesn't really "harden" bullets, it just speeds up the process.. I forget what it is but let's say you cast WW's of the same batch at the same time and quench some and not the others, the quenched ones will be harder right then but in like a month (?) or so, they will both be the same.

Zinc will contaminate your lead. You can cast with zinc but it has to be a completely different operation with no cross contamination.. loads are completely different as well

Does anyone know roughly what the bhn is for 15-1 lead to tin?

"
Basic Rules for Harding Lead-
For every 1% additional tin, Brinell hardness increases 0.3.
For every 1% additional antimony, Brinell hardness increases 0.9.
For a simple equation,
Brinell = 8.60 + ( 0.29 * Tin ) + ( 0.92 * Antimony )
"

I got that from castboolits/rotometals

Not that you all dont already know this, but I didnt realize how bad it was. Talked to a used tire guy last week. He said that the tires shops all switch to steel weights 2 years ago. Been getting lead off used tires for the last two years but its now just about drying up. Also, The EPA has shut down the last lead smelting plant in the usa.

<broken link removed>

The above article had been discussed in length over at castboolits.gunloads.com for quite awhile. Like over a year ago. For some of us its old news and all those who wanted to fan the flames of fear have been suppressed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Also it doesn't seem to be affecting prices on the market: Kitco - Spot Lead Historical Charts and Graphs - Lead charts - Industrial metals
Lead is at its lowest point in the last 30 days and is still lower than it was in the two previous years. Obama has put through restrictions via the EPA on environmental contaminents and has pushed to sell them and as much scrap metal as they can to China. Look at the fight right now over shipping coal from the Dakotas thru Seattle to China. Seem kinda odd that Obama is against coal and now we are selling as much of our american sourced coal that we can pull from the earth to China for pennies on the dollar, same with all of our scrap metal? Also seem odd that China is getting all these great prices and they are the single highest investors in our national debt? We owe 17% of our national debt soley to China.
I've talked to other bullet casters over on CB.GL.com and they've gone to scrap yards to buy scrap lead and have been told, "No, that lead is under contract and will be sent to China, we cannot sell you ANY scrap metal, it's all going over seas."

Maybe you can offer them cash and there wouldn't be any records of them selling you some. When I bought some in Texas they only took cash That maybe what they are doing

Been in the works for a few years and figured it has been discussed. I only joined boolits last summer so I missed that convo. It pains me to see us sell our own resources including coal and oil to china. China is a black hole for these resources right now.

I tried a swap or cash only deal here at a scrap yard and they told me no. I was going to trade them brass for lead. They told me t they are required to keep track of all sales so, buying my brass is one transaction, and selling me scrap lead is another. But she was very stern that all sales and scrap had to be tracked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads