JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I went to the tire shop to get some wheel weights they said that they would sell me some. They had a bucket full , it may have weighed about 100 pounds and they were wanting $20.00 for it. I don't know how much other junk was in it, I did see some valve stems. I was wondering what would be a fair price for wheel weights

I used to buy 5 gallon buckets for $15-$20 before the local tires shops stopped selling them. What does 50lbs of lead sell for in your area? Most places I've seen it's over a buck a pound, in gun shops it's closer to 3. When I'm shooting my cannons I go through a lot of lead, I'd pay $20 for a five gallon bucket of wheel weights in a heart beat and ask if they had any more.

I am not for sure what they are selling for in this area. The place that wanted to sell them was Big O Tire. I stopped at a little mom & pop place and they gave me about 40 pounds. They said that in about two weeks the will have more. I am trying to get as many as I can. I think before too long they will stop making lead wheel weights

There is a tire shop that works on a lot of trucks so I hope I can get some from them. Wheel weights for trucks should be pretty big. Some of the big tire companies have contracts with people that recycles wheel weights and will sell you any.

That is the reason I didn't buy them. It looked like there was a lot of junk in there. I think that I can get quiet a lot of free weights. When that drys up then I will look into buying them. I am not for sure what they would sell for at a salvage yard.

Another source of good lead is if you know someone in the construction/remod/demo biz. X-ray rooms are lined with several layers of sheet lead. if you dont want to deal with some of the nasty wheel weights. But then you have to mix it...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-calculators&p=1149507&viewfull=1#post1149507

That is an alloy calculator. You put in your known alloys and it calculates your BHN FOR YOU.

I also know a gentleman that will swap you pound for pound your zinc for his range lead ingots. He likes to do a medium flat rate box at a time which is 40 lbs. Max weight limit. I sent him 80 pounds on Tuesday I'll have my 80 pounds back today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Not to hijack this thread but I scored close to 300lbs of sheet lead, melted and poured into ingots. They seem much softer than the same size ingots from wheel weights. I have lots of Linotype to mix in but not sure what ratio to harden it up a little.

Download the calculator from the link I posted above and play with it to get the alloy numbers you want. But to get to Lyman #2 about 12 BHN you need 10 pounds of pure lead and 5 pounds of Linotype air cooled from the mold. If you water drop your BHN will go up a bit with using the lino in your alloy. If you oven temper then water qwench your hardness will go up to mid to upper 20's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top