JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I posted a thread on this very subject a few months ago. I do got a broad range of responses but for the most part an open bottle of powder is worth about $1.50 per ounce.
That being said I just had a gentleman buy 5 of the 8 open containers of powder I was gifted in a lot from a widow of a reloader. I saw where he had stored them and know they were in optimal condition.
If I had not seen that they were stored correctly, they would have been emptied a while back, I'm not risking anything to do with faulty reloading components.
I am taking your advice but as a buyer. I posted an ad in classifieds looking to buy powder (including partials) for up to $1.50 an ounce. I realize many here consider the open containers "lawn fertilizer" but given todays retail environment I am willing to take some calculated risk.

Edit: I am offering primer trade option too. Valuing primers for powder trade ratio will go something like this:

First I determine what I would pay in cash for powder being offered. Second I would find out what the primers would cost to immediately replace.
The math might look like this.
10oz of powder being offered to me. I would pay $1 an oz in cash. Primers replacement cost is $50 per thousand or 5 cents per primer. That would mean I would trade 200 primers for the 10ozs of powder.

Hows that for machinations.

Last Edited:
Good luck - it might end up costing you more than you think even if they were giving the powder away
I put my wallet on one side of the balance scale this morning and my risk tolerance on the other side. The risk tolerance won out. I may need that remote triggering device sooner rather than later.

Fellow I knew for many years was a big time reloading fan. He went in with friends to buy bulk powder and they split it up with him putting it in marked containers. After he died I bought some of these containers from the estate and haven't had a bit of problem using the powder.

So I know the value of an open container I use the cost per lb today and divide it by 7,000, the number of grains per lb. If all things check out then I buy it if it's a bargin.

Open container of powder...?

Speaking only for myself...
I would use it , only if it came from a trusted source.
I inherited some cans of GOEX Black Powder that were opened or old...but I knew and trusted the man where they came from.

With that said...I had a friend get a can of "Black Powder" , that was re-filled with smokeless ...the can was bought at a yard sale.
Luckily no harm was done.
Andy

Just a thought here with partial containers of powders....

Maybe gift them to friends , so they can try a given brand or type , then they don't have to buy a can of something that won't work for their firearm....this assumes that your friends trust you...:eek: :D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads