JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Prepping is more applicable to a natural disaster occurring than some end of the civilized world armagedon scenario. In the Pacific Northwest that probably means earthquakes or related geologic activity.
While the much anticipated "big one" could be the most destructive of possibilities in our region, it has been the run of the mill winter storm that has been the most frequent type of event in which we have found our preps useful. Having emergency light and heat, plenty of food, propane for cooking, a way to charge the cell phones, the battery powered radio, the means to remove debris (fallen trees and limbs) from the house/driveway/street are things that been useful over the years. Most recently it was the ice storm that hit our area a couple of years ago. We were without power and cable for almost 2 weeks, and the neighborhood was isolated by fallen trees and downed power lines. While it is the habit of some of our neighbors to bail out to a motel or the homes of near-by relations until normalcy is restored, we have always considered such events good "practice."

Given the current tendency of our current leadership to mismanage our energy resources as well as the world situation, I'd be more concerned about a grid down type of scenario than the once in a hundred thousand years geologic event.

Become a mentor to some one or youth group. Should crisis come, you'll be needed to offer experience and survival knowledge to the young or grasshoppers who were wiling away while you were gathering.
I'm stuck mentoring guys my own age; tongue in check comment.

After going to Journey/Def Leopard cover band concert Sat night was chatting it up with a nice hefty 67 year old man. His disposition about his weight and general health had him 100% demoralized and emasculated. HATE seeing any man acting like that and having no self-belief.

So for about an hour gave him a pep talk and told him NO do NOT go on Ozempic and insulin shots that is doctor is heavily PUSHING as well as Statins.

Here is what you need to do brother and here's my contact info when you need answers. I am in my 60s and was in worse shape than you, at times had trouble even walking. Stop talking like you are going to die soon or you will. Decide now. Go out like a b____itch or do something about it. You don't have to work out or go to a gym.
Just eat correctly; food as medicine.

When his wife of 45+ years came back from ignoring him for an hour and we parted ways I heard her say "If that guy isn't a doctor you better not believe any of that." Sadly, she is a big part of his problem. Doctors. Corporate drug pushers then, corp drug pushers now.

Drs Smoke Camels.png

I'm stuck mentoring guys my own age; tongue in check comment.

After going to Journey/Def Leopard cover band concert Sat night was chatting it up with a nice hefty 67 year old man. His disposition about his weight and general health had him 100% demoralized and emasculated. HATE seeing any man acting like that and having no self-belief.

So for about an hour gave him a pep talk and told him NO do NOT go on Ozempic and insulin shots that is doctor is heavily PUSHING as well as Statins.

Here is what you need to do brother and here's my contact info when you need answers. I am in my 60s and was in worse shape than you, at times had trouble even walking. Stop talking like you are going to die soon or you will. Decide now. Go out like a b____itch or do something about it. You don't have to work out or go to a gym.
Just eat correctly; food as medicine.

When his wife of 45+ years came back from ignoring him for an hour and we parted ways I heard her say "If that guy isn't a doctor you better not believe any of that." Sadly, she is a big part of his problem. Doctors. Corporate drug pushers then, corp drug pushers now.

View attachment 1784370
This is the way.

the-book-of-boba-fett-din-djarin.png

Interesting subject. My shift has gone from 'arming up' and storing food - STILL important - to taking care of my mental and physical health.

There is zero fear of death in me. Never could relate to that at all. However, laying on a couch obese and immobile was something I decided wasn't something I for me and I changed my course. Worse would be laying in a hospital at the mercy of a corrupt, uncaring for-profit only medical system or a 'rest home.'

So as a "Prepper" over 60 my goal is to stay active and healthy as long as I can, but most of all try to enjoy life even in this declining Clown World society.

If you have tens of millions of dollars and a mansion but are laying vertical on a sofa eating a pizza and downing an IPA, pulling down a face diaper to take a bite, at 60+ you are a life loser IMO. It will not matter if you have more ammo or PMs than an small country.

As a guy who has slaved working for 40 years I've lived in big homes, paid taxes, never taken a hand out, drove Porsches, Mercedes, Jags and all of those materialistic distractions. The happiest times in my life when young or old was when I stepped back and let go. Enjoyed life, specifically, van life and being out by myself. Cared about my HEALTH. Things own you not the other way around.

Many years back people like Edward Bernais turned us all into corporate gov't consumers obsessed with something that really isn't real. Material 'wealth.' I see other guys my age spending all their time trying to get more 'things' and I have to pity them.

Looking at my life I see the happiest people are the ones not tied into social constructs like marriage, having kids, must own a home, must subscribe to politics and vote, must be part of this tribe or that one. Let go of being told by others what you must do to be a man and do your own thing. Stay vibrant and healthy as long as you can.

Then rent an Arial Atom and get it up to 180mph hahahaha. Other than that, enjoy the buffet!

Great post. I couldn't agree more. I'm 71 and learned it's all about adapting to the changes we face as we go through life. I stay as active as my old body will allow and just keep moving as long as I can. Having said that I do go to the range regularly although the calibers and guns I now shoot have less recoil and are easier to operate.

Great post. I couldn't agree more. I'm 71 and learned it's all about adapting to the changes we face as we go through life. I stay as active as my old body will allow and just keep moving as long as I can. Having said that I do go to the range regularly although the calibers and guns I now shoot have less recoil and are easier to operate.
I took some content/lessons from Viking Preparedness as it relates to posting security. I would envision someone your age being in a role of something like "captain of the guard". I would probably look to have you be responsible for managing the 2 or 4 hour guard rotations, walking the relieving guard to their post, after performing a gear inspection to make sure they are squared away.

I concur with the sentiment that EVERYONE should know basic firearm handling, including the women. But I know I'm not putting my aunt or the 70 year old dude on guard duty. Be prepared to help defend the property of course when the zombie horde arrives.

Canadian Prepper had a video a long time ago that stood out to me, it was about being a prepper in old age. The premise was, when you're 60, 70, etc. what is the point of prepping? We all have our time coming for us. To top it off, at that age, you're not going to ruck march out of town, do Chris Costa type maneuvers with rifles and pistols, etc.

Point is, I've been an avid camper, hiker, outdoorsman and survivalist. But as I get older (now approaching mid 40's), I just can't see myself doing this stuff at 50. Maybe even as soon as 45. As it stands, despite being muscular, working out, being athletic, etc. I am beginning to hate hiking in hills with 80+ lbs of gear. The list goes on. Being a prepper in middle/old age is like being an infantry soldier in old age, it just doesn't make sense, hence why those guys are all young "kids".

But that begs the question, what do I do with my new found free time if I'm not prepping/training, etc.? Go wine tasting? Checkout museums? Collect stamps?
You do like the rest of us old ...... none of can run any more, my thought on this is. Stand and fight give a but kicking or get one, give them something to talk about either way. 82nd ABN

Canadian Prepper had a video a long time ago that stood out to me, it was about being a prepper in old age. The premise was, when you're 60, 70, etc. what is the point of prepping? We all have our time coming for us. To top it off, at that age, you're not going to ruck march out of town, do Chris Costa type maneuvers with rifles and pistols, etc.

Point is, I've been an avid camper, hiker, outdoorsman and survivalist. But as I get older (now approaching mid 40's), I just can't see myself doing this stuff at 50. Maybe even as soon as 45. As it stands, despite being muscular, working out, being athletic, etc. I am beginning to hate hiking in hills with 80+ lbs of gear. The list goes on. Being a prepper in middle/old age is like being an infantry soldier in old age, it just doesn't make sense, hence why those guys are all young "kids".

But that begs the question, what do I do with my new found free time if I'm not prepping/training, etc.? Go wine tasting? Checkout museums? Collect stamps?
Hiking with 80lbs of gear? That sounds like pure hell to me. Take up a hobby like mountain biking would be my suggestion. You can get an older $3,000 msrp bike in nearly perfect condition for less than $300. Take up boating, fishing, hunting, new type of shooting, travel, photography, etc etc.

Hiking with 80lbs of gear? That sounds like pure hell to me. Take up a hobby like mountain biking would be my suggestion. You can get an older $3,000 msrp bike in nearly perfect condition for less than $300. Take up boating, fishing, hunting, new type of shooting, travel, photography, etc etc.
I thought so too, back when I was a fatass. My first time out rucking we only did 5 miles, I only had maybe 20-30lb, and it was pure hell. I was literally down in bed for 5 days recovering. I had to stop 10-20 times on the way back, that last mile was pure hell.

Now I know I can do 11 miles non-stop at least on flatish ground. A 6 mile with hills no problem. And I find it enjoyable. 80lb? No thats just dumb, we arent marines trying to pack 110lbs. Be smart and use a guideline to calculate a percentage of your body weight to determine max weight. For me it is like 75lb and that is with full ruck, chest rig with magazines and ar15 (around 72lb).

If you cant sprint 10 feet, you arent defending anyone when shtf. Also, you can do this AND all the other hobbies. We have guys in their 50s, stronger than me (43) doing this stuff. There were dudes who I think were 60+ in a recent 3-day rifleman course and kicking bubblegum. You can do it.

I thought so too, back when I was a fatass. My first time out rucking we only did 5 miles, I only had maybe 20-30lb, and it was pure hell. I was literally down in bed for 5 days recovering. I had to stop 10-20 times on the way back, that last mile was pure hell.

Now I know I can do 11 miles non-stop at least on flatish ground. A 6 mile with hills no problem. And I find it enjoyable. 80lb? No thats just dumb, we arent marines trying to pack 110lbs. Be smart and use a guideline to calculate a percentage of your body weight to determine max weight. For me it is like 75lb and that is with full ruck, chest rig with magazines and ar15 (around 72lb).

If you cant sprint 10 feet, you arent defending anyone when shtf. Also, you can do this AND all the other hobbies. We have guys in their 50s, stronger than me (43) doing this stuff. There were dudes who I think were 60+ in a recent 3-day rifleman course and kicking bubblegum. You can do it.
For me it's not a matter of can I do it. It's a matter of why would I want to. If you enjoy it like you said then that's awesome. I would absolutely hate it personally.

If you are considering throwing in the towel as a kid of 40, you have my sympathies. I am likely as old as your grandpa, and will never have such an attitude.

Do or do not, there is no try.

In my youth - 20s - I was a lot more durable. Slept on a lot of rest stop hard benches in the freezing cold with no blanket and didn't care. Drove cars until the metal plys were hanging out of the tires. When old, must treat ourselves to the best environments we can.

To wit, buying this and getting the latest one without the issues. Can't see anything being a better usable non-SHTF and SHTF item. Right up there with food and water. Looked on CL to see what used ones sell for and of course the usual clowns wanting more than new. Happy to say I can still pick up and move around a 105lb generator. The 9500 model at close to 300 lbs not so much.

I prep for my daughter mostly.

I prepare to hopefully be around if/when she needs me if something happens.

Her and her husband are in some ways physically less able than I am to cope with SHTF.

But prepping is not just about being able (or wanting to) hike off into the woods, sleep on the ground and live in a tent/bivy.

I live at my BOL, and I am working towards a building a better BOL that is more self-reliant with regards to shelter, food, water, energy. I am not going to be bugging out to live in a tent or ad-hoc shelter somewhere. Most people won't last very long doing that anyway.

Went from barely being able to walk after ladder work to 12mph treadmill 30-sec HIIT sprints so with a lot of discipline it CAN be done. Yes, a realist and I know father time eventually wins but 'giving up' on mobility in the meantime is a big No Thanks.

That makes me scratch my head in amusement.
Prepping is more applicable to a natural disaster occurring than some end of the civilized world armagedon scenario. In the Pacific Northwest that probably means earthquakes or related geologic activity.
So is some couple who are 60 or older supposed to forgo having some water, food and fuel available in an emergency? It seems to be suggested they not bother, just die quickly please.

Others have mentioned this reply and I will echo it. At my age and medical concerns I will not be marching long distance if there is combat. I would be of more service in the rear guard delaying any oncoming assault. I do believe that in a well fortified and stocked location of my choosing (for example my root cellar) it would take more than small arms fire to dislodge me.
I've thought on this too. Knowing the US military and their police sub-groups, the artillery or gunship would be called in. Actually it doesnt take much to dislodge even a well-protected sniper. So I expect it to be short and nasty, and my thought is to get the Old Woman out of the way first (if she would leave)...

And I thought the OP might be older than I am, but not even close.
Age is not just "in your head" , but if you are feeling "older" at mid 40's, I think your mindset is wrong.
Granted, I am not as strong as I once was, but like @Stomper , I still do the things I enjoyed when in my 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's... Dirtbikes being one of them.
Often times I think I'm inclined to do things the hard way just because I can. My nephew, who is about 30 complained about splitting wood and said, "I can't do this like I used to and it hurts. I will rent a splitter instead of swinging an axe." I'm twice his age and my reply was, "Sucks to be you!"
I'm a firm believer of "attitude is everything". To give up now would be failure.

I'm 61 and have no intention of slowing down until I actually can't do it anymore.

And I thought the OP might be older than I am, but not even close.
Age is not just "in your head" , but if you are feeling "older" at mid 40's, I think your mindset is wrong.
Granted, I am not as strong as I once was, but like @Stomper , I still do the things I enjoyed when in my 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's... Dirtbikes being one of them.
Often times I think I'm inclined to do things the hard way just because I can. My nephew, who is about 30 complained about splitting wood and said, "I can't do this like I used to and it hurts. I will rent a splitter instead of swinging an axe." I'm twice his age and my reply was, "Sucks to be you!"
I'm a firm believer of "attitude is everything". To give up now would be failure.

I'm 61 and have no intention of slowing down until I actually can't do it anymore.
I'm going to be 63 this year.I'm also retired military and agree with you 100% age is just a number.Survival preparation is like insurance you do it and hope you don't need it common sense it everything. It's easy to die or give up, attitude,stubbornness, not giving up are key. I'm going to take my bubblegum wipping or give one before I go.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top