JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

I got an idea. Cut back on the numbers of illegals entering the country.

Aloha, Mark
How would that help? o_O

Climate change doesn't exist. Water, like oil, is a renewable resource. Liberals are trying to control you by suggesting that anything will ever change with the earth or due to the actions of people.

Vote for the status quo. Move to Arizona.
Well the truth is somewhere in the middle.

There are larger cycles of climate shifts that take 500,000 years to swing up and down.

The Brazilian Rainforest was a desert.. then plains/savanna.. 100,000 years later it's a rai forest. The Sahara desert was mostly forests 20k years ago. It all shifts. Temp going up from human caused emissions just triggers cycles that will eventually result in global cooling... some of the fear mongering or conspiracy theory is just public relations firms that work for corporations that don't want to pay millions/yr to clean up their emissions. Because China doesn't often follow the same rules. You would need a REAL united nation's with full participation of all nations and resource sharing etc to really alter global pollution. Also due to global weather patterns a lot of airborn pollution ends up in the poles.

It's just tempting to pull the trigger and fire off attack statements about one side or another when it really all comes back to the $$$.

Was the Paris accords? USA pulled out. Some say that's terrible... but we are already exceeding the goals. Meanwhile countries that don't don't have the infrastructure to complete with us... are pushing for further restrictions... while they try to build up their own capacity to better compete.

It's like someone that is unemployed.. demanding 50% income tax that will expire before they get a job and are impacted.

Big world.. lots of competition.. we are a big country. We don't have to be dicks but we ARE competing and winning in the USA.

The minute we stop competing we may as well just request to become a Chinese or Russian territory...

Just curious, how many of you were insisting to yourselves 10 years ago that the climate wasn't changing? As recently as 3 years I've seen people on gun forums insisting that the Antarctica wasn't melting.

Now we're playing "it is getting hot, but it will be okay"? This stuff is unprecedented in what we like to think of as "livable". But it is met with this sliding scale of platitudes.

Geez, get real.

A few years ago (maybe 20? Time moves oddly somedays . . . ) Arizona floated a plan to pump water from the the Oregon aquifer to AZ, I can't recall anyone outside of AZ very excited about that plan
Yeah.. if you take out too much aquifer reserve they collapse and lose capacity. Take several several hundred thousand years to recover. If ever..

I know there are plans in California for a series of reservoirs but they have too many idealistic people that vote no. You can either have A or B.
A: Fire scorched wasteland of chaparral biome in Pristine and uninhabited conditions. B: Several reservoirs to guarantee life sustaining drinking water for centuries.

Yeah, because the water is falling here to run back into the ocean rather than making it to the mountains to rebuild the snowpack everything runs on.
??? That strikes me (and hopefully others) as a very strange comment to make. You do understand the water cycle, yes? Besides, where do you get the idea that there is a snowpack problem? The current snowpack on Mt. Hood is very near historically median levels. Look here:

Just curious, how many of you were insisting to yourselves 10 years ago that the climate wasn't changing? As recently as 3 years I've seen people on gun forums insisting that the Antarctica wasn't melting.

Now we're playing "it is getting hot, but it will be okay"? This stuff is unprecedented in what we like to think of as "livable". But it is met with this sliding scale of platitudes.

Geez, get real.
Of course the planet is warming. Duh. Look at this graph from Smithsonian.com data and you can see that we have been at near historical low global temperatures, so of course the planet will recover back to historical norms. Today's average global temperature is around 55.5 degrees Fahrenheit, but for the last 400 million years we averaged 71.8 degrees Fahrenheit. We're warming, and there is not a single thing puny human beings can do about it. Deal with it.
1651771383588.png

Yeah.. if you take out too much aquifer reserve they collapse and lose capacity. Take several several hundred thousand years to recover. If ever..

I know there are plans in California for a series of reservoirs but they have too many idealistic people that vote no. You can either have A or B.
A: Fire scorched wasteland of chaparral biome in Pristine and uninhabited conditions. B: Several reservoirs to guarantee life sustaining drinking water for centuries.
Filled from what source? Positive thinking?
??? That strikes me (and hopefully others) as a very strange comment to make. You do understand the water cycle, yes? Besides, where do you get the idea that there is a snowpack problem? The current snowpack on Mt. Hood is very near historically median levels. Look here:
And the Olympic glaciers are near gone.

Of course the planet is warming. Duh. Look at this graph from Smithsonian.com data and you can see that we have been at near historical low global temperatures, so of course the planet will recover back to historical norms. Today's average global temperature is around 55.5 degrees Fahrenheit, but for the last 400 million years we averaged 71.8 degrees Fahrenheit. We're warming, and there is not a single thing puny human beings can do about it. Deal with it.
View attachment 1192663
Of course we can "deal with it". We know how to make machines that pull carbon right out of the air. We have lots of technological options to fatalism.

[h3][/h3]I'm NOT a hydrologist. I'm just a poster here. So then, if I had to explain everything (including the nuances of what I'm thinking) to some people (while also keeping the thread Family Friendly and somewhat PC). Well, say it this way.....

If I Have to Explain, You Wouldn't Understand

BUT THEN.....
I'd guess that the answer you seek might just depend on who (which hydrologist) you ask.....
Figure that it would/might depend on if.......
A hydrologist were speaking about/of the ENTRE WORLD'S ISSUE or about a more localized water issue.

Aloha, Mark

You would be shocked beyond belief the number of things I can understand when somebody explain something to me so give it your best shot.
Feel free to take as many words as you want, links to whatever information you need even use pictures on napkins with crayons if you think that would suit my learning style better

The only way to fix the problem is to remove the problem and ban humans all humans. We use the water the most by doing dishes, taken long showers using water in industry, washing our cars, planting flowers and watering our grass most of which is not needed to survive.

So, if we ban humans, it will all go back to nature and all will be well

You would be shocked beyond belief the number of things I can understand when somebody explain something to me so give it your best shot.
Feel free to take as many words as you want, links to whatever information you need even use pictures on napkins with crayons if you think that would suit my learning style better
LOL.
Nice try.

Aloha, Mark

There is as much (or more) water on earth today than there has ever been. In the beginning, the entire earth was a roiling ball of molten rock and metal. All of the water here has been delivered to this planet via comets and meteorites, with more and more being added every day.

Water does not disappear just because it is sprinkled on the lawn or is flushed down the toilet. I just moves along to a different place. Water is here to stay.

However, I do recognize that stupidity is also here to stay.

"Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. One may protest against evil; it can be exposed and, if need be, prevented by use of force. Evil always carries within itself the germ of its own subversion in that it leaves behind in human beings at least a sense of unease. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one's prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. In all this the stupid person, in contrast to the malicious one, is utterly self satisfied and, being easily irritated, becomes dangerous by going on the attack. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one. Never again will we try to persuade the stupid person with reasons, for it is senseless and dangerous."

LOL.
Nice try.

Aloha, Mark
If you liked that 'try' you will LOVE this one! :D

but But but . . . a hydrologist DIDN'T say it, you did, and maybe this is JMHO, but much like we are responsible for every bullet we fire, I believe we are responsible for our words, so what might you have meant by those words?

I could only come up with two options:
Option Uno

By using reductionist hyperbole you were attempting to mock the simplistic nature of common discourse by picking an absurd and obtuse point to illustrate how so many people attempt to gaslight conversations by taking a hard and pointless turn into needless controversy

Or, Option Deux:

You actually meant it at face value and when called on it found it impossible to defend so you decided a good "LOOK! A DUCK!!" reply might work to detract me long enough for me to lose interest

lolz, fat chance of that! :cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads