JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here are a couple of interesting documentaries discussing the geologic, atmospheric, and astronomical factors influencing the formation of deserts.

there's a reason I purchased property in a river valley with 3 hydro dams
have my own well, water table just 21' down, but also have an artesian well with 12 mo. surface water just 100 yrds from the house
when my neighbor's well went out, I let him drop a pump in my artesian well and he was able to pump enough water in July to supply his place

Just a recent observation...
I'm not in any way saying there are not water issues around, but the hype and lack of good information (misinformation?) is a challenge as well. I have been using the National Weather Service NOAA website for years for checking weather and rainfall. I've always found it to be pretty accurate...unit recently. They had a pretty significant format change a few months ago and the rainfall amounts have been massively off.

There have been times recently where we have received tons of rainfall and their report shows none, a trace or maybe .02". I understand the rainfall gauge is a few miles from my house so their amounts will differ, but I've talked with folks who have been in the area during a rainstorm and the amounts show 0.00".

Peculiar.

Lawns are stupid anyway. All that time, energy, water and other resources to have a green patch around your house. Especially in the Southwest.

That said, I have a big lawn/yard, but I'm only maintaining a small part of it. The rest I'm just mowing or letting go natural.

I've also been looking into more low maintenance low water landscaping. I'm probably going to bring in a bunch of rock in the fall.

Life Straws…. There's gotta be water somewhere…
yep. get water collection barrels at your gutter downspouts. at least you'll have water to drink in emergency. Life Straw. Big Berkey, etc. Doesn't solve the lager megadrought problem. Time for states to get serious about water conservation and change some environmental laws. Maybe it's time for the little fish California is protecting in the Sacramento river delta to meet it's maker and divert water to storage.

Lawns are stupid anyway. All that time, energy, water and other resources to have a green patch around your house. Especially in the Southwest.

That said, I have a big lawn/yard, but I'm only maintaining a small part of it. The rest I'm just mowing or letting go natural.

I've also been looking into more low maintenance low water landscaping. I'm probably going to bring in a bunch of rock in the fall.
the older I get the less I like manicuring grass and the more I like rocks. rocks are cool!

I live in a neighborhood with an HOA and I pay a yearly fee to maintain the common areas with a playground and stuff. Unless there is a drought within Washington State I need to keep my front lawn green in the summertime even though it wastes a lot of water.

RE : Bacon
Besides agricultural run off from growing food.

Perhaps, the Marijuana Growers are contributing too?

Aloha, Mark

PS.....BTW, it's illegal in Morrow County.

BUT, But, but......it's not like a law (in this case- prohibiting marijuana production, processing, wholesale, retail in Morrow County) has 100% stopped people, from doing illegal stuff.

An example from Jackson County.

etc....etc....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads