JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's funny right there. My wife used to call it "Ketchikan time". Someone would say they'd be there at 10am and she would ask "What is that in Ketchikan time?" because it was never 10am.
I was young and I was living in the Seattle area at the time, so I was used to rushing around when it came to traffic, and other people doing the same. "Rush hour" in downtown Ketchikan is different; people will let you pull out into the traffic flow from a parking lot and they take their time elsewhere while driving somewhere because there is only 25 miles of road (not including the logging roads), so you don't need to drive 70 MPH to get somewhere on time.

Right now the snow is piling up, snow pac is water in the bank so to speak. That is a very good thing, but what is causing the drought is those late January warm rains that melt the snow pac and then we get no more snow until next winter. No snow, no snow pack, no water in the bank. We've been in this pattern for along time. When's the last time you've seen skiing in May-June?

Alot of people are also unaware how much water gets consumed by data centers. I just saw a really interesting video on YouTube about the topic the other day (see below). I don't know about ya'll but in my part of Oregon they just keep building data centers one after another. Funny how we hear politicians talking about climate change and how Oregon is in a drought, then we see places like Umatilla, Prineville, and Hillsboro approving new builds of these data centers like they're going out of style and we don't hear a peep from the politicians.

Last Edited:
Alot of people are also unaware how much water gets consumed by data centers. I just saw a really interesting video on YouTube about the topic the other day (see below). I don't know about ya'll but in my part of Oregon they just keep building data centers one after another. Funny how we hear politicians talking about climate change and how Oregon is in a drought, then we see places like Umatilla, Prineville, and Hillsboro approving new builds of these data centers like they're going out of style and we don't hear a peep from the politicians.

Then.....
Add the electricity demands for charging Elec. Vehicles.

Aloha, Mark

Didn't read any of the responses just OP's title. I for one relish the idea of a lack of Water World! It was a tediously long and boring Costner disaster!

from a daily, free email from https://forwardobserver.com

The National Weather Service (NWS) has released its 90-Day forecast. The conditions outlined may limit recovery from current drought conditions with above-normal temperatures in the Midwest and Western United States. Spring recovery forecasts starting in March may see a longer and slower recovery than expected. (AC: With slower recovery from drought conditions, supply relief may be limited with slower food price recovery into the summer. Increased strain on growers and fertilizer supplies will contribute to increased food prices. – D.F.)

Drought Outlook.jpg

The much bigger problem than the weather/climate/etc., is the fact that even with non-drought weather, we are using up the water we have accumulated over thousands of years (in aquifers) faster than it can be replenished. It takes a lot longer than a couple of years of good rain to replenish aquifers.

The root cause is human population uses too much water - in part because we waste it - but mostly because we are exceeding the carrying capacity of our environment.

I met my brothers neighbor yesterday and we are all effed, I now KNOW for his, for certain, "the true poles of the earth have shifted position enough to alter our seasons several months, because of the volcanic eruption recently in the pacific"!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top