JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone make a good pre-made bug out bag? Im looking for a good 72 hour one person pre-filled bag to save time on collecting all the contents myself.

I was hoping someone out there has a quality kit. Like Chinook med has for Medical kits but in an all purpose 72 hour survival bag.

I'm sure there are fine pre made kits but no help personally but my .02 is this. In most cases whether a reloading kit or an emergency vehicle kit, it is something that you get the most bang for the buck by not taking shortcuts and hand picking each item based on personalized needs and likes dislikes. It seems like if one was unfortunate enough to need one they would do best being intimately familiar and an expert at the use of each item.

What I would call my BOB is my backpacking pack. I handpicked every item based on knowledge learned on every backpacking trip I take. I have shouldered it over many miles and many thousands of feet of elevation gain. I have lived on the contents of it for a week at a time and am confident in it.

It seems to me like if you feel the need to have one a Pre order special will probably sit in a closet forever but if you need it you will have a hard time finding the weak points at the worst possible time.

Ymmv

I'm with Slimmer...I've tried "kits" for a while.

First Aid Kits/IFAKs
Survival Kits
Sewing Kits

All of these companies either cut corners on quality and you'll end up tossing the junk items or you'll pay out the nose for name brand items or from items that you can otherwise find yourself.

If you want, I can send you a list of items that I sent to my Militia guys...it's very link heavy so you can just click and buy directly from the sites (most are from Amazon) or at least gives you an idea what to look for.

*edit*

Our S1 even recently bought a few IFAKs....we ended up having to toss a lot of the items, thus ending up with an overpriced pouch and EMT scissors!

Last Edited:
You can look into American Red Cross 72 hour kits! We bought a couple for the kids a few years ago. The quality was good but they are bare bones!

I'm sure there are fine pre made kits but no help personally but my .02 is this. In most cases whether a reloading kit or an emergency vehicle kit, it is something that you get the most bang for the buck by not taking shortcuts and hand picking each item based on personalized needs and likes dislikes. It seems like if one was unfortunate enough to need one they would do best being intimately familiar and an expert at the use of each item.

What I would call my BOB is my backpacking pack. I handpicked every item based on knowledge learned on every backpacking trip I take. I have shouldered it over many miles and many thousands of feet of elevation gain. I have lived on the contents of it for a week at a time and am confident in it.

It seems to me like if you feel the need to have one a Pre order special will probably sit in a closet forever but if you need it you will have a hard time finding the weak points at the worst possible time.

Ymmv

Understood. And this one would be to sit in a closet until needed. Though I would check everything

I was hoping there was something similar to the Chinook kits like this one
<broken link removed>

Im a physician and could put together a decent medical kit but it would take ages to collect all the stuff in this one.

The rest of your survival bag has probably a fraction of that med kit in it, item wise.

Personally, I want everything in my bags tailored to me and my needs so pre-made kits are useless to me.

That and all the quality gear in the world will get you no where if your not familiar with how to use it.

Just my two penny's.

I'm with the build it yourself faction! In effect, you only have to design one bag and then assemble however many you need. It's fun and I'm a freak for quality in my gear. I also like to skeletonize and lighten my gear!
The ARC 72 hour kits I mentioned above are indeed in a closet most of the time, but the kids do take them on road trips, etc. I go over them once a year and replace water packs and battery's for the flashlight and radio! That's the level of preparedness my son and grandson are up for. I get that being a Dr probably means that you don't have a lot of extra time so it might be best to purchase those kits, or look at the Red Cross kits and modify them to suit your needs! Best of luck finding your perfect solution! :) SRG

The basic wilderness/survival necessities are essentially to keep your core body temperature within the specified range and then water and food.
A wool blankie, a poncho, fire makin's, some grub and water will get you down the road right off the bat. good luck

AMP III
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8oZS5NSgpZcev6eKXEnO8g
is run by a PDX ER Doc.
He has lots of med. kits I'm sure he'll reply to your query
He's got that part covered,
Im a physician
He's looking for a bug out bag of the same quality as the link he showed for the med pack
It seems to me that you should be able to find someone locally that could put one together for you.Is there a supply store in PDX that carries all the necessary bits?

realistically... some of the el-cheapo walmart kits arn't too bad. Compared to a custom kit, they have things that will go unused, and are kinda expensive compared to the custom kit (depending on how custom). Really, to me it sounds like what you want is a duffel bag with 4 solas rations and half a case of water. Maybe with a cheap windbreaker and a box of matches.

To me, the cheapest "ready made kit" is a grocery bag with a gallon of water, and 2 jars of peanut butter.

I haven't seen one yet that doesn't/isn't:

1) Have a bunch of stuff you won't need.
2) Has mostly cheap crap
3) Way overpriced.

Besides a FAK, you primarily need shelter, water, food and security (guns and ammo).

I ordered a "camillus 3 day survival kit" from Walmart for $23 and got it delivered last week. Mostly I wanted it because it was pretty close to a small bag I bought on Amazon for more, that was empty, and this one was supposed to have some survival supplies in it. So I figured at the least I would get the little bag and maybe get some decent supplies.

Some of the supplies were okay. The bag itself is okay, but not as good as the one I got from Amazon. The "shelter", which is a mylar blanket and a plastic "poncho" were crap - the "poncho" is the equivalent of a thin plastic garment bag you get over your clothes when you get them from the dry cleaner - and when I say "thin" I mean thinner than a grocery bag - it would last about 5 minutes - a garbage bag would last a lot longer.

It had about one day's worth of life raft survival rations, a cheap flashlight, some first aid supplies and water in tin foil bags. I wasn't cheated, but it isn't a super bargain either.

I would think about how much stuff you want to pack.

Find what you are going to use for:

Shelter - I use an Ecotat shelter/poncho.

Food - I use Mountain House FD meals for my GHB.

Water - I have a hydration bag/pack and an inline water filter for my GHB, and I store water in my trunk, in half liter water bottles.

Security - I keep a 9 mm pistol and ammo in my trunk.

I have a FAK, fire starting kit, and a few other odds and ends, but for a GHB I try to keep it to a minimum - enough to get me home. I don't really have a BOB as I live at my BOL.

Once you know how much stuff you need to carry, then get a *good* hydration pack that will easily carry everything you need.

He's got that part covered,

He's looking for a bug out bag of the same quality as the link he showed for the med pack
It seems to me that you should be able to find someone locally that could put one together for you.Is there a supply store in PDX that carries all the necessary bits?
Wow, Just Wow.

Bolus didn't ask our opinion if we wanted a pre-made bag. He asked if anyone made a good bugout bag, he's looking for a 72 hour bag. Notice he didn't mention price:) Probably a good thing. I'd never seen anything before, but maybe the question had me looking. Just tripped over this and have no experience with these guys. So here you go. http://www.forgesurvivalsupply.com/store/c/23-Complete-Bug-Out-Bags-Systems.aspx

eberlestock_dragonfly_ultimate_bug_out_bag.jpg
$ 3400 for this bad boy.
Ultimate Bug Out Bag Contents:
The Pack:
Eberlestock Dragonfly w/Rifle Scabbard (Coyote)
Eberlestock Extension Bag (Coyote)
Granite Gear White Pines Hip Pack

Dry Bags:
SealLine Main Pack Liner 65L
SealLine Marine Compression Sack Liner 9L
SealLine EcoSee Dry Bag 5L (x2)
SealLine EcoSee Dry Bag 10L
SealLine Map Case - Small
Loksak Bags 4.7 x 7
Loksak Bags 6.75 x 6

Survival Tools:
Fallkniven A1 Survival Knife
Leatherman Wave
Leatherman Bit Kit
Gerber Exchange A Blade Saw
U Dig It Shovel
Breath of Life Survival Mask
McNett Tactical Field Fix Kit
McNett Duct Tape
McNett Gruntline Elastic Cord

Fire Starters:
Aurora Fire Starter - Silver
Stormproof Match Kit (25 - Green/Yellow)
Wetfire Cubes (Pack of 8)
Tender on a rope

Food Gathering:
Standard Survival Fishing Kit
Emmrod Packrod Casting Fishing Pole
Survival Slingshot Archery
Animal Snare Vival Trap (4 each)

Cooking:
MSR Marine XGK Stove Combo Kit
180 Tactical Stove
MSR Quick 2 Cooking System
MSR Alpine Kitchen Set
UCO Spork (x2)

Navigation & Communication:
Suunto MC-2G Global Compass
Petzel Tactikka Plus Headlamp
ExtremeBeam SX21R-M Tactical Flashlight
Motorola Talkabout Radios (27 Mile Range)
Starflash Survival Mirror 2" x 3"
Jetscream Survival Whistle

Water:
MSR Hyperflow Micro Filter
Nalgene Silo (White) 48oz
Nalgene Silo (White) 48oz
Aquamira Water Purifier Tablets (12)
Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter (Straw)
Platypus Hoser 3.0 Water Bladder

Shelter:
MSR Nook 2P Tent
MSR Nook Footprint
or Eberlestock 1P Micro Condo Tent (Add $300)
Thermarest Saros Sleeping Bag
Wiggy's Waterproof Sleeping Bag Bivvy Sack - Multicam
MSR Marpad-Lite Sleeping Pad
SOL Thermal Bivvy II
Ultralite Poncho + Shelter

Personal Hygiene:

Bath Wipes
Ben's 100 Max Spray Pump
Bug Head Net

Food and Water:
Freeze Dried Food Pack (8 Each)
Emergency 1200 Calorie Food Bar (5 Each)
Emergency Water Packs (5 Each)

Personal Protection:
Super Magnum UDAP Pepper Spray With Chest Holder
Monkey Fist

Medical:
Fundamentals Medical Kit (Includes Emergency Medical Guide)
Tactical Tourniquet (w/coyote pouch)
Blast Bandage
SAS Survival Handbook
QuickClot Silver 25g (2 Each)

Or a little more realistic Urban Bug out bag.

granite_gear_special_mission_assault_pack.jpg

$499.95
The Pack:
Granite Gear Special Mission Assault (Coyote)

Survival Tools:
Gerber Profile Series
Breath of Life Survival Mask
Loksak Bags 6.75 x 6 (Dry Bag)
Gear Aid Duct Tape

Fire Starters:
Sparkie Fire Starter
Wetfire Cubes (Pack of 8)

Navigation & Communication:
Jetscream Survival Whistle
Suunto M-9 Wrist Compass
Petzel Tactika Headlamp

Water Filtration:
Aquamira Water Bottle with Filter

Shelter:
Liberty Mountain Poncho
Escape SOL Emergency Bivvy II

Personal Hygiene:
Bath Wipes
Ben's 100 Max Spray Pump
Bug Head Net

Food:
Emergency 1200 Calorie Food Bar (5 each)
Emergency Water Packs (5 each)

Personal Protection:
UDAP Bear Spray #12

Medical:
SAS Handbook
Adventure First Aid 2.0

They have a bunch more inbetween the 2. Good luck with your search.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top