JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some one on the news excitedly reported that the SKS used in the baseball shooting was powerfull enough to kill an elephant.

Besides not knowing the difference between an SKS and an AK47, he should know that is not that great an accomplishment.

Howard Hill killed one with an arrow in 1950. Recently an American woman became the 1st woman to kill one with an arrow. Actually Hill is listed as the 1st WHITE man to kill a elephant with archery equipment.

Probably forgets the story about David and Goliath in his effort to demonize firearms by exaggerating the power of firearms.

Some one on the news excitedly reported that the SKS used in the baseball shooting was powerfull enough to kill an elephant.

Besides not knowing the difference between an SKS and an AK47, he should know that is not that great an accomplishment.

Howard Hill killed one with an arrow in 1950. Recently an American woman became the 1st woman to kill one with an arrow. Actually Hill is listed as the 1st WHITE man to kill a elephant with archery equipment.

Probably forgets the story about David and Goliath in his effort to demonize firearms by exaggerating the power of firearms.

This is just something I have come to expect. Often the talking heads who spout this stuff really believe it. Many have never fired a gun. They just repeat something they heard. Listening to a talk show after this happened some caller got on. Claimed to be retired Military and retired LEO. Said the rifle was "A full auto 60 caliber". He made this statement a couple times and the host (Mark Levin) did not correct him. Just thanked him for his service and call. Now after the break the host dis give the corrections. The rifle was not a machine gun and was 30 caliber. Now was the caller lying? Maybe, maybe not. I would not really be shocked if he really was both ex military and ex LEO. Who knows where he "heard" what he was spouting. No doubt many are telling everyone at the watering hole that the shooter bought the gun off the net and had it sent to his home and believe it.

Many centerfire rifles can kill an elephant if you shoot it enough times. Poaches in Africa use AKs and other rifles to poach large game, including elephants. It probably takes quite a while for the elephant to die too. As you note, this does not make the rifle all that powerful.

There is an anecdotal story going around of a professional hunter who killed an elephant with a .22 rimfire.

We should remember that mastodons and wooly mammoths were eliminated from the N. American continent by aboriginal hunters using arrow and spears and probably even rocks.

image-233x300.png

I've heard on good authority, and from several anonymous, reliable, secret un-named sources in the FBI and State Department...
...that politicians are fully capable of talking an elephant to death!:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Man, people been killing elephants with sticks with pointy ends for thousands of years before this " journalist " was an itch in his daddys pants. or hers.. its maybe? who knows these days.

Thomas Edison is often credited for having an elephant electrocuted to show how dangerous Westinghouses' AC current was. So I guess if you had a big taser...

Thomas Edison is often credited for having an elephant electrocuted to show how dangerous Westinghouses' AC current was. So I guess if you had a big taser...

Ever seen that video Taser did with the Bull? They had to pull it due to outrage by PETA types but it's floating around out there still. They were early on trying to show what it would do. They zap a huge bull who does down, feet strait out. As soon as the juice stops he jumps up and charges the bars. It was funny as hell.

Ever seen that video Taser did with the Bull? They had to pull it due to outrage by PETA types but it's floating around out there still. They were early on trying to show what it would do. They zap a huge bull who does down, feet strait out. As soon as the juice stops he jumps up and charges the bars. It was funny as hell.

Nope, haven't seen that one. But the Edison electrocution of the elephant video (very old film) is still available on YT.

I'm a bit surprised in today's culture that anyone would use an animal to demonstrate something like a taser. You're just asking for an SJW blizzard.

I was once reading about some gun history and apparently after the 2nd Boer War the settlers were issued SMLE rifles and piles of 303 FMJ rounds to go with them and it was said probably more African game animals (including elephants) have been killed with the .303 British than any other cartridge in history - and also wounded more in the process.
Regardless the reference to the SKS being 'big enough' to kill an elephant is pointless and of no value.

Last Edited:
Nope, haven't seen that one. But the Edison electrocution of the elephant video (very old film) is still available on YT.

I'm a bit surprised in today's culture that anyone would use an animal to demonstrate something like a taser. You're just asking for an SJW blizzard.

Yep, I have seen what Edison did on the old film. Many are shocked to find out he (Edison) was not the altruistic inventor many made him out to be. He wanted to make money. He was in heavy competition with others and wanted to make money. When AC theory was proved out he was trying to keep it from taking the market as he knew it would. So he did a few demo's like that trying to scare people into keeping his DC. I'm sure even he knew it was never going to stop AC, just trying to get a little more time out of his VERY poor system.
As for Taser the first time I saw that I thought the same thing. Oh guys this is not going to go over well. I knew they were using hogs for testing in the development, trying to find the right combination that would disable and not harm. They were smart enough to not let this out. The bull demo was I suspect originally meant to show PD's purchasing departments. You have to remember when they first perfected these they were VERY expensive. Trying to get PD's purchasing people to spend the money was a challenge. They were trying to make money off the R&D that went into them plus the money they paid the original inventor for his patent. When I got my first one The local PD here both city and county only had a handful. When they needed one they would have to put out a call to "anyone with a Taser". Many of them looked at mine with envy. For me it was the best money I ever spent. I never had to use it for the many years I carried it. By then they were well known. every time I pulled it the fight just stopped right there. Almost made me laugh a few times when some guy who was MUCH bigger and younger than me would stop in his tracks. One monster even got on his knees, hands behind his head and said "please don't do that". I thought I would have to shoot him when I first came up on him. He was drunk, young, and VERY buff, just back from the Iraq theater. Made me feel much better about the cash I had laid out to buy that damn thing. :)

I chuckle in remembrance of that one. Better the bull than me is how I feel about it. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top