JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah. That is.....IF......the drone didn't move since getting a good sight picture.

But then.....will the drone zig or will it zag? Or maybe.....the intent, is to fill the sky with .223 and pray?

Hummmmm......sort of like watching those WW2 films where the ships are being attacked by enemy aircraft and every anti-aircraft battery is trying to defend the ship. Only the flight path was a little more predictable (back then).

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I think the idea is that you hold the trigger back and then scan the area for the drone. When the sight crosses the drone the rifle fires. There are variations of this for other targets/sights.
So then, probably a SG type approach.
BUT, But, but......the average SG might lack the range.

So......mount the sight on a good "cannon" (w/smart exploding type of projectile) and you might have something.

Example: The 5" Naval cannon (w/proximity fuse) did a pretty good job (back in the day). Of course, you wouldn't want to haul around that sucker.

Aloha, Mark

PS....Yes, there are systems already on the battlefield, though costing millions. So yeah.....the NEW gun, would have to be cost effective too. And, NOT take years and millions to develop.

Last Edited:
So then, probably a SG type approach.
BUT, But, but......the average SG might lack the range.

So......mount the sight on a good "cannon" (w/smart exploding type of projectile) and you might have something.

Yeah, the 5" Naval cannon did a pretty good job (back in the day).

Aloha, Mark
I think the idea is to have a man portable weapon - in this case an infantry rifle.

I would suppose they would allow the sight to be turned off so the weapon could be used at will for regular uses.

They also may have one or more of these sights for designated "drone killers" and the rest not - or maybe all of them (I suppose it would depend on cost/weight/size/etc.). The article doesn't say how what the tactics might be - I am just assuming. Having 2-3 "drone killers" in a squad would allow several infantry rifle persons to try targeting a drone in the hopes that one of the shots would take the drone down.

Certainly drones will increasingly become an issue. Other articles have said the US military doesn't really have a solution.

It looks like it's able to identify UAV's, calculate the flight path and gives adjusted aiming cues based on speed, distance and trajectory.

Kinda cool actually. Drones can be all different sizes so difficult to judge distance and leading a moving target at a guesstimated distance that can travel at 30-40mph+ isn't easy. Basically having a personal auto targeting system taking all the guess work out... cool indeed!

Standard field optics integrated so no need to have dedicated "drone hunters". Seamless switching between 2 legged and UAV targets.

VORTEX has a variation

season 2 robot GIF by DREAM CORP LLC

Edit to add:

AUDS...Drone defeating system...employs multiple options.
1688412755148.png

Last Edited:
Yup.....man portable.
Or maybe perhaps an area defense system (used by a small "anti-aircraft" unit).

Though sexy.....missiles.....just cost too much. And anyway.....production is backlogged. But of course, RTX, AJRD, and who ever else.....would love more contracts for the "Military Industrial Complex".

I'm thinking more of an "off the shelf" system.

Aloha, Mark

Batteries die or get lost....bad weather interferes with the aiming / guidance system...
No thanks...
I'd rather train with existing firearms and more basic , simple tech ...and adapt it to work.
Andy

Certainly drones will increasingly become an issue. Other articles have said the US military doesn't really have a solution.

BUT, But, but....perhaps it's too expensive or just impractical (for now/at this stage) and of course we wouldn't want the "enemy" to capture one and share the "secrets". Not to mention, that it's probably NOT "man portable".

Aloha, Mark

PS.....BUT, But, but......things are getting smaller.
The system is comprised of two vehicles — one a "command node," and the other a "sensor node." The vehicles are outfitted with radar sensors, cameras, and radio frequency detectors and jammers. Once the crew is able to detect a threat, they use the jammer to disrupt the signals from the drone.
Taken from:

Last Edited:
Yeah...."drones" come in all shapes and sizes. Not to mention, the different tasks that they carry out.

Carry a camera for surveillance?
Carry a grenade or several?
Carry a missile or big bomb?

But yeah......the OP's example was probably meant for the smaller sized stuff.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews