JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Does "I will take it' have any meaning

• Yes: you have agreed to buy the item

Votes: 102 85.7%
  • No: A deal is never a deal untill the money changes hands.

Votes: 17 14.3%

• Total voters
The order in which people post, pm, or call with "I'll take it" determines who gets first crack at it. I do it by the book, down to the second if necessary. I've waited a few weeks to meet people because I keep my word. I mean, in reality it's all I have. If I don't have that much integrity, that'd be a sad existence.

I would apologize for my generation, but they do suck and deserve to be bashed for this.

A man's word is his bond. If a person says, i'll take it, in my book the deal is done.
To which I completely agree - when standing in front of the seller. Unfortunately in this mostly electronic world a PMd or emailed "I'll take it" does not a man's word make. Like it or not. right or wrong that is the reality. I gave up giving any credence to a PMd or emailed "I'll take it" long ago and anymore when this happens I will email back to call me and then I'll go from there.

To which I completely agree - when standing in front of the seller. Unfortunately in this mostly electronic world a PMd or emailed "I'll take it" does not a man's word make. Like it or not. right or wrong that is the reality. I gave up giving any credence to a PMd or emailed "I'll take it" long ago and anymore when this happens I will email back to call me and then I'll go from there.

And it really helps when the seller includes a phone number in the ad. There have been a couple of instances where I was wanting to buy something, was ready to act ASAP, and the seller didn't give a number in the ad. Because of the delay in PM-ing things "went south" from there.

I agree. "I'll take it" is like clicking "Buy Now" or winning an ebay auction. You're entering a binding contract and it's your responsibility/obligation to see the transaction through and pay for the item. It's the buyer's responsibility to ask all the right questions before committing and to buy with confidence.

However, I think there are special circumstances when you can break that contract and walk. Like cases of fraud or other illegal activity that the seller might be attempting to pull.

Can still pm.... so since its not in the open we don't want integrity? Sounds nice...

It removes the public 'dibs'. In the past, if there was a gun i was interested in and I saw 'i'll take it', I'd just move on. Now I'd PM regardless. This may be better for sellers to pick and choose their price and who they sell to.

People either follow through or don't in the real world. It'd be nice if everyone was reliable, but that hasn't been my experience online.

This may be better for sellers to pick and choose their price and who they sell to.

So even if you're the first person to say "I'll take it" and you 100% mean it, they can still sell their item to someone further down the list or adjust the price in private? Doesn't sound like a very good or honorable system to me... :/

So even if you're the first person to say "I'll take it" and you 100% mean it, they can still sell their item to someone further down the list or adjust the price in private? Doesn't sound like a very good or honorable system to me... :/

All things being equal, of course they should sell to the first person. Life isn't always so black and white, I can see lots of cases where the first person wouldn't be the buyer.

what if the seller hasn't committed to someone and...

the second buyer offers more $$

or

the first buyer is 60 mins away and the second is 5 min

or

you get a strange vibe from the first buyer

Last Edited:
So even if you're the first person to say "I'll take it" and you 100% mean it, they can still sell their item to someone further down the list in private? Doesn't sound like a very good or honorable system to me... :/

Very true.

And is this not the reason we have the Feedback Score? If someone was a dishonest seller or a buyer that went back on their offer of I'll Take It, you could always say so on the Feedback Score.
That way sellers or buyers would be able to see what kind of person they were dealing with.

The feedback score could even be expanded for just this reason.

Like on Ebay, i always look at the scores and comments to see what kind of person i am dealing with prior to buying or selling.

All things being equal, of course they should sell to the first person. Life isn't always so black and white, I can see lots of cases where the first person wouldn't be the buyer.

what if the seller hasn't committed to someone and...

the second buyer offers more $$

or

the first buyer is 60 mins away and the second is 5 min

or

you get a strange vibe from the first buyer

I'm not talking about selling to the first reply/person. I'm talking about honoring the request of the first person who says, "I'll take it".

Are you saying you think it's fair for a seller to pass up the first person to say they'll take it, to hold out for more money, someone they like better, or just because they don't feel like committing and replying to the first person who said they'd take it?

It is the responsibility of the person who posts "I'll take it" to have the ability to pay promply and without delay. I can't stand it when a person tells me "I'll take it" then gives me an excuse as to why they can't pay right away, or attempts to work out some kind of deal, trade, or payment plan. You don't go to the grocery store, get to the checkout, then attempt to negotiate with the cashier. You need to make those arrangements prior to posting "I'll take it".

I am a man of my word and anyone here that knows me knows it. If I say I will take it, I will take it! But, I will pm the seller first and settle all the details and conditions of sale But in my situation I do a lot of work out of State / Country if I cannot make it asap I offer a deposit usually 10-20% to hold till I return and it usually works. Some sellers i have dealt with in the past know my situation and know my word is my bond and will hold till I return with no deposit.

I think Joe should make it to where if you want to use the classifieds either buyer or seller do some sort of verification "Like Craigslist telephone verification" I would not mind pay a small fee for this as I have had buyers say I will take it and no further contact or *** another button an I will take it button that they have kicked the tires and had pm'd the seller made payment arrangements prior to clicking this button!

I think a buyer should discuss the details with the seller first.....Some people think the seller should be willing to wait for his money and be willing to travel more at times to honor an "I Will Take It"
Got to consider the sellers situation also.

Have a great day Gent's

I did the "I'll take it" once and the item wasn't in as good of condition as described. I bought the item as I said I would and the seller knocked the price down. I agree with SquackDaddy, Don't agree to buy something you haven't inspected...You just might kick yourself in the end!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top