JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Does "I will take it' have any meaning

• Yes: you have agreed to buy the item

Votes: 102 85.7%
  • No: A deal is never a deal untill the money changes hands.

Votes: 17 14.3%

• Total voters
There seem to be some question weather the "I will take it" post in a classified add has any meaning at all. I am from the school that a mans word is his bond and If I post that I will take your item for sale, you can take it to the bank. I also expect that if you post "I will take it" in my classified add, that you have agreed to my price and my terms and we now have a contract. The item is yours. And I will try 100% to make the deal happen on my end. Others seem to feel that a "I will take it" post has no value, is not any type of contract, and does not have to be honored in any way. Am I just to Old School to think that people have honor and that their word has value. Or am I just dealing in a new/younger crowed that has neither.

I agree but is it fair to anybody to post "I will take it" then tell the seller that you can't do the transaction for a few days? I don't think that is fair to the seller or other potential buyers

This goes back to the terms of the sale. I think that most reasonable people would agree that a deal may or may not happen of the day of the posting. People work and have family obligations. I live three hours South of Portland metro. I would think a couple of day to set up the time/place would be reasonable. But if the seller needs to move the item faster than that. I have no problem with the seller stating IN THE ADD, that the buyer needs to make the deal that day or ASAP. I have seen many adds that state that the seller needs the money that day and any buyer needs to meet that term of the sale. No problem. All players know the terms of the sale going in.

I agree that the "I will take it" post amounts to a sold item, especially if no posts above show that the item may be sold. My word is valid, and I expect everyone else to keep the same standards.

Unfortunately I've dealt with a couple of sellers who OBVIOUSLY don't feel the same way. One of them has posted in this thread...

I know this thread has to do with a thread in "The Den". The man who prompted the OP in this thread to post is one that apparently does his best, intentionally or unintentionally, to get under people's skin. I originally thought him to be a jerk, then was softening my opinion on him until I read his posts in that thread.

If your word isn't your bond, go fly a kite. (that's the way I'll put it to keep the censors at bay, not the words I'd usually use.) Once I deal, or attempt to deal with you, I will never make the same mistake again.

If you post "I'll take it" you have agreed to said price and terms in the ad. I believe that the item should be picked up in a timely manner, typically the coming weekend, as peoples schedules vary. If the timing is to long you should have noted in your ad that its a distress sale and you need the $$$ ASAP.

I agree with most everything above.....IDK the story referred to obviously, but I can say I try not to agree to anything I can't carry through on and expect the same. I really hate when I end up counting on something from someone, so go ahead and make another plan based on the prior happening....only to have the first thing fall through and leave me looking like an asshat because I don't have the money, the help, parts, etc. What is the saying....."A man's only got his word and his balls.."

As an afterthought....I wanted to add that I don't think age has anything to do with it. It has to be something in how people are brought up, or???

I don't think people should post things like this in the FS thread. It should be done via PM and the two can work out the details via PM based on confidence levels. 1) It would bump the post up. 2) If the guy doesn't follow through other buyers might have not even tried to contact the seller thinking it was too late.

To be honest you can't really trust people to follow through. People break contracts all the time that are signed sealed and notarized.

As a buyer I would never post "I will take it" in a listing because as a seller I have accepted these posts as fact and had the buyers flake out many times. If you want the item, email the seller and quickly pay for the item.

in my opinion, saying "I'll take it" before you get a chance to inspect the item is foolish. I contact the seller by PM and tell them I am interested, and ask when I can see the item. I've looked at LOTS of firearms that looked great online, then disappointed in person. To each his own.....and good luck on all your future purchases.

in my opinion, saying "I'll take it" before you get a chance to inspect the item is foolish. I contact the seller by PM and tell them I am interested, and ask when I can see the item. I've looked at LOTS of firearms that looked great online, then disappointed in person. To each his own.....and good luck on all your future purchases.

I agree with the above to make sure the buyer is being honest about the item.. "However" When and if someone posts:
"I will take it" that means to me that the buyer is "Serious AND Has The Cash In Hand".

Not... Can you wait two days or??

+1

I think I'm looking at this from a different perspective. If a buyer responds in such a manner then I believe he should be bound to that commitment, save for the item being different from the posting. But the seller, and other buyers for that matter, should not assume the item is sold until money has changed hands. If someone posts "I'll take it" in the post but someone else has already pm'd the seller and agreed on a deal the post is a somewhat of a moot point.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top