JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Does "I will take it' have any meaning

• Yes: you have agreed to buy the item

Votes: 102 85.7%
  • No: A deal is never a deal untill the money changes hands.

Votes: 17 14.3%

• Total voters
Yes, to all the above.

As some of you remember a week and a half ago, I posted "I'll take it" on a handgun.

The OP posted a hour later that the gun was still available!

I then posted "what part of I'll take it didn't you understand?

The OP then posted that the first one with cash at his house with cash gets it. It was 9:00pm?

??What??? I told him I could meet the next morning.

I then posted, suppose three guys show up at your house, at the same time,at night, now what?

I almost gave him a negative feedback, but thought better and just posted that I would never buy from him in the future.

Be well,
Will

Yes, to all the above.

As some of you remember a week and a half ago, I posted "I'll take it" on a handgun.

The OP posted a hour later that the gun was still available!

I then posted "what part of I'll take it didn't you understand?

The OP then posted that the first one with cash at his house with cash gets it. It was 9:00pm?

??What??? I told him I could meet the next morning.

I then posted, suppose three guys show up at your house, at the same time,at night, now what?

I almost gave him a negative feedback, but thought better and just posted that I would never buy from him in the future.

Be well,
Will

I think it is unreasonable to expect a seller to reject a buyer with cash in hand based on an online comment of "I will take it". I know I have rejected buyers with cash in hand based on such a comment only to have the "I will take it" never showing up or even responding to attempts to re contact them. This has happened to me several times on sales of many different types of items. It is not like the seller has any way to hold anyone to their online commitment to buy.

I don't know about the op, but I am not really meaning a random i'll take it to be a deal......but someone telling me they'll take it and contacting me, setting up a time to meet is a deal- and at that point i expect them to come through. i also will not sell it to another buyer just because they are more convenient until after i have carried through on the first arrangement.

now someone asks me to hold something/says they'll take it and then disappears, flakes on a meeting, arrives and tries to lowball or has some lame excuse for showing up short on cash, tries some other dumb *** tactic or fleeb thing , or appears shady/questionable to me and we're done. I try to make sure everything is on the table and out in the open before i ever come to the point of someone saying "I'll take it".

If I am reading an ad and it is something I want for the deal the seller is asking I post "I'll take it" meaning I agree to his deal as is and as expected. Now if the details of the ad are not correct or the condition or something similar is not what was advertised the seller did not meet his end of the deal neither does the buyer need to. I will then send a PM/Email to the buyer so we can work out the fine details.

If I see and ad and it is something I want but want to offer a different price, different details, I am out of town, ect I will then post "PM sent". I will then PM/Email the buyer with my offer's, questions, details, ect so we can see if we reach a deal.

So with this method as a seller if I see someone with a "I'll take it" with a posting time before a "lets make a deal" kind of offer I will take the "I'll take it" person first. If I have a "lets make a deal" offer that comes in first I will try to make a deal with that person prior to moving onto the next person even if it is an "I'll take it". I understand cash is king but if someone is making me a reasonable offer with reasonable terms I will deal with them first.

I just had a situation where a fellow came out to my shop, agreed to buy a $5000 machine, shook hands and the following day made arrangements for transport... When it was ready to go he "changed his mind" Very frustrating to say the least... I have had several deals where I was not in a good spot to keep my word but did anyway because I think you are obligated to do everything you can to keep your end of a deal... And a verbal deal is a done deal as far as I am concerned

It seems that more and more people both buyers and sellers are modeling their word and honesty after the leaders of our country. If those who make the laws don't have to be honest why should anyone else. Personally I believe my word is still my bond regardless of which side of the deal I am on. I guess I am old-fashioned also, but remain so.

First "I'll take it" posted in the thread followed by a confirmation PM to set up the transaction is the winner concerning my sales.

If you voted 'no' to the OP's poll then please pass my for sale items by because I don't want anything to do with you.

You shouldnt say "I'll take it" unless you are prepared to immediately pay pal or make the funds available to the seller. Don't get upset if you cant get to the seller due to "family emergencies" or other excuses that everyone has heard. Anyone who has sold something has most likely been strung along for days by the person who says," I'll be right over", or something to that degree.

The old school "hand shake" is slowly going away.

You shouldnt say "I'll take it" unless you are prepared to immediately pay pal or make the funds available to the seller. Don't get upset if you cant get to the seller due to "family emergencies" or other excuses that everyone has heard. Anyone who has sold something has most likely been strung along for days by the person who says," I'll be right over", or something to that degree.

The old school "hand shake" is slowly going away.

Immediately is a little quick and a little unreasonable.

Using Pay Pal for gun purchases and getting caught is a good way to get your funds lock. Piss on PP. I have passed on many deals that the buyer would only take PP. I dealt with other buyers that wanted my money not my money -%

one day you are walking along, trying to do your best, When...BOOM, you step on a mine. It's never done till it's done, or as Forest Gump would say, "stuff happens"
Put another way, let he without sin, cast the first stone.

Immediately is a little quick and a little unreasonable.

Using Pay Pal for gun purchases and getting caught is a good way to get your funds lock. Piss on PP. I have passed on many deals that the buyer would only take PP. I dealt with other buyers that wanted my money not my money -%

Why wouldnt you be prepared to pay immediately? It should be treated as a business transaction unless they are friends or family. Alot of people agree to transactions before they do research on items. I agree paypal has their own set of problems, but it helps eliminate some problems and at least you know the buyer is serious.

If you post "I'll take it" you have agreed to said price and terms in the ad. I believe that the item should be picked up in a timely manner, typically the coming weekend, as peoples schedules vary. If the timing is to long you should have noted in your ad that its a distress sale and you need the $$$ ASAP.

First "I'll take it" posted in the thread followed by a confirmation PM to set up the transaction is the winner concerning my sales.

If you voted 'no' to the OP's poll then please pass my for sale items by because I don't want anything to do with you.

If I am reading an ad and it is something I want for the deal the seller is asking I post "I'll take it" meaning I agree to his deal as is and as expected. Now if the details of the ad are not correct or the condition or something similar is not what was advertised the seller did not meet his end of the deal neither does the buyer need to. I will then send a PM/Email to the buyer so we can work out the fine details.

If I see and ad and it is something I want but want to offer a different price, different details, I am out of town, ect I will then post "PM sent". I will then PM/Email the buyer with my offer's, questions, details, ect so we can see if we reach a deal.

So with this method as a seller if I see someone with a "I'll take it" with a posting time before a "lets make a deal" kind of offer I will take the "I'll take it" person first. If I have a "lets make a deal" offer that comes in first I will try to make a deal with that person prior to moving onto the next person even if it is an "I'll take it". I understand cash is king but if someone is making me a reasonable offer with reasonable terms I will deal with them first.

AGREE....

regarding "I'll take it" and "PM sent with offer", it is also dependent on specifics to the add, WTS or WTS/WTT, Price is firm, etc

to add, I also think sellers need to put some time and thought into their adds, list specifics about the items, condition, finish, caliber, accessories, age, etc...but that's a whole other topic

I haven't done a lot of buying and selling on the board yet. I am currently in the process of an "I will take it under certain conditions" situation, me being the taker. The seller is a busy person, and is the hold up here, which is fine with me. The worst thing for me would be to waste a bunch of the guys time, but with out being able to inspect the item close up, couldn't possibly take it sight un-seen. We're assuming the item is NOT a super low price thing, where it's a great price even if there are issues with the item. I would also expect a buyer to come closer to the seller in a super low price situation.

Something "New in box", an "I'll take it" is a signed deal in my book. If the buyer needs a day or three to get around to picking it up, after all the buyer NEEDS to be a working man to afford the item, then a "Sale Pending Funds" goes up on the thread, in the header.

For me, if a person said "I'll take it" and then after inspection decides it's not quite up to his specs, we'll, I'll put it back up and it will sell eventually. No harm no foul, as long as I don't have to drive fifty miles.

Mike

Why wouldnt you be prepared to pay immediately? It should be treated as a business transaction unless they are friends or family. Alot of people agree to transactions before they do research on items. I agree paypal has their own set of problems, but it helps eliminate some problems and at least you know the buyer is serious.

Sorry it was late when I posted. I mean the ability to pay and pick it up in a day or two should not be unreasonable. It is not unreasonable to not pay for the item till you pick it up. This way you are able to view the item and verify the condition prior to the transfer of money.

I'll take it means exactly what it says. It doesn't mean I'll look and see and maybe I'll buy it. If you're not sure, PM the seller and ask a few questions, but don't say I'll take it unless you intend to buy. On a side note, 'Feedback Scores' are your friend.

If I post "I will take it", it is followed up with a pm trying to arrange a meetup. It means I have the money and intend to buy the item for the listed price if there hasn't been any other communication.

If someone is a ways away, meeting up might not happen for a couple of days. The seller is within his rights to sell to someone else if they don't want to wait.

I'll take it means exactly what it says. It doesn't mean I'll look and see and maybe I'll buy it. If you're not sure, PM the seller and ask a few questions, but don't say I'll take it unless you intend to buy. On a side note, 'Feedback Scores' are your friend.

Feedback scores can be misleading. After scrolling up and down on this thread I see either 0 feedback or 100% positive.
So either some of us are just too polite to give each other negative scores, some of us may have ignored reporting bad-deals to keep a 100% rating, or some of us genuinely mean what we say when we want to buy an item!

Feedback scores can be misleading. After scrolling up and down on this thread I see either 0 feedback or 100% positive.
So either some of us are just too polite to give each other negative scores, some of us may have ignored reporting bad-deals to keep a 100% rating, or some of us genuinely mean what we say when we want to buy an item!

I agree they can be misleading, but you can read between the lines on a persons rating summary. In your case, after reading your feedback, I wouldn't hesitate to deal with you at all. Where a person with 0 feedback I may have to use more caution. I realize that we all have had a 0 rating at one time, but I've noticed a lot of dine & dash around here lately.

When I post "I will take it" I mean I will take it, as described, as soon as arrangements can be made. Period. I have funds, and am ready to make the deal as soon as humanly possible. Having said that, I am flexible to the arrangements. The second deal I made here took several weeks to complete. The seller was more than fine with it, and we made it happen. If the seller had not been okay with the terms, I told him I was also more than fine with him making another deal. However, on that one deal, I did not post "I will take it". I just PM'ed him. It was a rather high dollar item, and he had had no other interest.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top