JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Super dumb question here. Flame away if you like.

I use poly 80 Glock frames but have had better luck with the serialized versions. It's a stripped lower but a handgun lower I guess.

My ignorance here. Would that be considered the same thing as an AR lower?

It's not 80%, it's finished just no internal parts.

Super dumb question here. Flame away if you like.

I use poly 80 Glock frames but have had better luck with the serialized versions. It's a stripped lower but a handgun lower I guess.

My ignorance here. Would that be considered the same thing as an AR lower?

It's not 80%, it's finished just no internal parts.

I haven't purchased the serialized ones and don't practice law. My understating of RCW 9.41.010, RCW 9.41.010: Terms defined. (<i>Effective until July 1, 2019.</i>), is that it is not capable of firing a projectile, so no on "firearm" and it does not have a barrel, no on "pistol", and should be transferred as a "other" but not 100% sure as I'm not a FFL. Your best bet is to contact a FFL and pose the question to them.

I don't want to call my local FFL. If I ask Wally at gators in Kelso one more dumb question he is going to ban me from the shop! It's bad enough I bring him all my home gunsmithing mistakes to fix! My ignorance is downright embarrassing. :cool:

You still have to go thru the process before the 10 day wait starts. So lots of people have likely gone thru it already. After the 10 day wait it's as simple as walking in, the dealer handing it to you, and taking it home.
Not sure about that.

If you purchased a semi auto rifle prior to July 1st, you got to take it home after the NICS check was complete. As of July 1st, any handgun or semiautomatic Rifle have a mandatory waiting period of 10 business days. That clock couldn't have started before the first, so the first 10 days isn't up until July 12th, including the weekend.

If I read the statute correctly, the firearm purchase begins the process, including the waiting period-paperwork filled out and payment for the firearm and fees. You will need proof of training to pick up a semiautomatic rifle after the waiting period is over.

I went into Sporting Systems the first day they were open (Tuesday 7/2) after I1639 went into effect. It was me and two employees at 2:30 in the afternoon. I treated myself to some ammunition and went on my way. Huge difference from when I was there with coworker picking up her first gun on Friday 6/28. Then it was packed to the gills.

I was in Sportsmans Warehouse on July 1 in Kelso and today in Vancouver and noticed very little activity at the gun counter.
Doesn't surprise me. Most people who were contemplating the purchase of a new firearm did so before July 1st. It will take a while for purchase activity to reset.

I am going to have a hard time paying hard earned money for a new firearm and then walking away without taking it home.

When was the last time you paid for a new vehicle and waited two weeks to take possession? By the way- cars are way more dangerous than guns.

Not sure about that.

If you purchased a semi auto rifle prior to July 1st, you got to take it home after the NICS check was complete. As of July 1st, any handgun or semiautomatic Rifle have a mandatory waiting period of 10 business days. That clock couldn't have started before the first, so the first 10 days isn't up until July 12th, including the weekend.

If I read the statute correctly, the firearm purchase begins the process, including the waiting period-paperwork filled out and payment for the firearm and fees. You will need proof of training to pick up a semiautomatic rifle after the waiting period is over.
The training requirement is on the paperwork filled out to start the process as a Y/N answer. It doesn't appear that any actual proof is required by the law but some dealers may want to see a certificate but are not required by law to do so. Of course a truthful answer is required under threat of penalty and it is recommended to keep your proof of training document that will be issued when you take your training.

The training requirement is on the paperwork filled out to start the process as a Y/N answer. It doesn't appear that any actual proof is required by the law but some dealers may want to see a certificate but are not required by law to do so. Of course a truthful answer is required under threat of penalty and it is recommended to keep your proof of training document that will be issued when you take your training.
I'm not a dealer and don't pretend to be. Any FFL folks can correct me without hurting my feeling. (I only have one)

Before "delivering" a semiautomatic rifle the dealer is required to receive a certificate from the purchaser verifying completion of the training specified in the statute. It isn't just the customer checking a box.

You still have to go thru the process before the 10 day wait starts. So lots of people have likely gone thru it already. After the 10 day wait it's as simple as walking in, the dealer handing it to you, and taking it home.

What I am wondering is if it's going to be 10 days. May at first. What I suspect will happen is as soon as sales start to go to something close to normal again the days will start to stretch out. Since the state will of course not have enough people working on it. I brought this up before. During last great panic it got to a month was common to buy a hand gun if you did not have a CPL here for just this reason. So suspect now it will be the same with almost all.

I'm not a dealer and don't pretend to be. Any FFL folks can correct me without hurting my feeling. (I only have one)

Before "delivering" a semiautomatic rifle the dealer is required to receive a certificate from the purchaser verifying completion of the training specified in the statute. It isn't just the customer checking a box.
i reread my copy of I 1639 and see what you are referring to. The forms for the state have the question on training with a Y/N answer and the dealer only has to look at your certificate to verify proof. I would think that would be at the beginning of the process when the paperwork is filled out so it shouldn't affect the timeline to delivery. Questions like this are why I started this post to see how the process is working. We may start having some examples by the end of this week or soon after.

Doesn't surprise me. Most people who were contemplating the purchase of a new firearm did so before July 1st. It will take a while for purchase activity to reset.

I am going to have a hard time paying hard earned money for a new firearm and then walking away without taking it home.

When was the last time you paid for a new vehicle and waited two weeks to take possession? By the way- cars are way more dangerous than guns.

And cars are a privilege to drive on public roads, bearing firearms is a right.

Tyranny abounds and good men do nothing.

Is the transfer or sharing of AR uppers affected by 1639? Could I loan an Upper to a friend in Washington state? Also what about out of state CCP holders and the mandatory Wa. state classes? My take is reciprocity would nullify residents requirements.

Is the transfer or sharing of AR uppers affected by 1639? Could I loan an Upper to a friend in Washington state? Also what about out of state CCP holders and the mandatory Wa. state classes? My take is reciprocity would nullify residents requirements.

Uppers are not firearms, and they are not affected by i1639. No class is required for a WA CPL. WA recognizes any state that meets the same standards WA uses to issue a CPL. The list is here:
Concealed Pistol License Reciprocity | Washington State

The shop is much more traditional summer season now. Most of June was plain crazy and the last week, was bonkers.

Certification is done by the purchaser signing the FTA. No hard copy is required, or authorized by law. Our free training is being accepted all over the state, with just shy of 20,000 people already having completed it.

Lowers are still selling, no delays. Keeping our sale going, having sold 6800 since November, we'll just keep that wagon train rolling.

Handguns are still selling, although we've had to correct most departments on the pistol transfer forms acceptability (the old, online form versus the new PDF). DOL still allows us to use the online form and save time, postage, paper, etc.

Last Saturday we sold 5 SCARs, I don't expect to sell another one this month.

Semi auto rifles are a mandatory 10 business day wait. Handguns are up to 10 days but not mandatory, we're getting many turned around from agencies inside of 5 business and then they can be delivered.

I did not realize that handguns are "up to" 10 days with a turn around of about 5 right now, I thought they were also 10 days mandatory. Quick question, I can no longer get a rifle from out of state shipped to your shop and pay you all to do the transfer, right?

I did not realize that handguns are "up to" 10 days with a turn around of about 5 right now, I thought they were also 10 days mandatory. Quick question, I can no longer get a rifle from out of state shipped to your shop and pay you all to do the transfer, right?

You can buy online and have shipped to local FFL. You can purchase in Oregon, but they will transfer the rifle to WA FFL for delivery. Ironically, we CANNOT sell, gift or transfer a semi auto rifle to non residents (this includes citizens, dealers and manufacturers).

Semi auto rifles are a mandatory 10 business day wait. Handguns are up to 10 days but not mandatory, we're getting many turned around from agencies inside of 5 business and then they can be delivered.

I am guessing the 10 days is the same as it used to be for hand guns when buyer did not have a CPL? That the FFL was waiting for the "OK" but, could let the gun go after the wait even if the agency they were waiting for had not yet responded? So in other words if it gets bogged down, and you do not hear back inside the 10 days, you can let the gun go? If so this was the big rub during the last great panic. Some FFL's would let the gun walk if they did not hear back after the wait but many shops would not. Told customer they had to wait till the agency they were waiting for gave their blessing?
On the 10 day wait to buy a .22 rifle I hope a lot of the people who could not be bothered to vote just love this new wrinkle when they go to buy the kid a .22 rifle :mad:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top