JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While I agree, it was a PC move to hire her. I don't care what the new chief's gender or race is, I care about their qualifications. Based on how Oakland is doing, the selection process obviously did not consider that factor in evaluating her abilities.

You know how I rate a mayor?. by how long the COP has held his position. It seems Portland rather sucks.. for a very long time.
That'd be one of the main sucky parts of being a cop I'd think.. politics and sucking dong. Pardon my figure of speech.

Can't wait to see her in the background nodding in agreement as one of our elected leaders speak about 30 caliber magazine clips and ghost guns shooting 30 bullets in 1-1/2 seconds...1-1/2 seconds!!

True, but she has a couple aces in the hole............. any city council member that would advocate her firing would be racist and sexist.Ray

True.
In the mid 90's Portland had a real problem with Chief Moose, a Bud Clark appointee. He was outwardly crude and unapologetically racist in his dealings with members of the public. {He wouldn't have lasted a week in "The Tavern"} All this continued for years while at the same time he received accolades from the local media, Town Hall, and various liberal clique organizations like the "City Club". This continued unchecked until public resentment grew to such a level that his personal residence was the target of a protest of several hundred people. This caused City Hall to do a C.Y.A. pivot in the opposite direction, led by Erik Sten. He was nudged out of office and on to Montgomery Co. Maryland soon after.

Portland had similar issues with Chief "Bad Penny" Harrington, this time a Vera Katz appointee. Her defrocking was more public.

The point is, appointments made for the sake of political correctness can be hard as hell to get rid of when problems crop up. Especially in this uber-PC condition we have now.

I hope this issue bites them both in the bubblegum, and while i think about it, i hope that brown stain in Salem gets mixed up in some sort of scandal involving all 3.
Of course that would just leave a giant vacuum for even more crooked, self serving, liberal scumbags to find a position in politics.

True.
In the mid 90's Portland had a real problem with Chief Moose, a Bud Clark appointee. He was outwardly crude and unapologetically racist in his dealings with members of the public. {He wouldn't have lasted a week in "The bubblegum"} All this continued for years while at the same time he received accolades from the local media, Town Hall, and various liberal clique organizations like the "City Club". This continued unchecked until public resentment grew to such a level that his personal residence was the target of a protest of several hundred people. This caused City Hall to do a C.Y.A. pivot in the opposite direction, led by Erik Sten. He was nudged out of office and on to Montgomery Co. Maryland soon after.

Portland had similar issues with Chief "Bad Penny" Harrington, this time a Vera Katz appointee. Her defrocking was more public.

The point is, appointments made for the sake of political correctness can be hard as hell to get rid of when problems crop up. Especially in this uber-PC condition we have now.

I just learned that Charles Moose applied for and was interviewed for this position! WTF was he, or they, thinking?! Did they interview him just so he couldn't claim racism?? WTH is going through his head applying to return to PDX??

Here is the article OregonLive did on this: Former chief Charles Moose not among 4 finalists for Portland top cop

Can't wait to see her in the background nodding in agreement as one of our elected leaders speak about 30 caliber magazine clips and ghost guns shooting 30 bullets in 1-1/2 seconds...1-1/2 seconds!!

It's coming...and Reese will be standing on the other side. Politician and media talking point...both law enforcement officials agree that confiscation is necessary.

I will give her a chance I don't care about color or sex. I say give her the chance to fail. I hope she is successful. What's important to Portland is having a fair and honest police department. I know naive.

I will give her a chance I don't care about color or sex. I say give her the chance to fail. I hope she is successful. What's important to Portland is having a fair and honest police department. I know naive.

I don't recall any mention of sex or race being a disqualifying factor for the position. I do know that many of us here believe those attributes are all too often are used by liberal politicians to gain political favor rather than looking for the best qualified candidate.

I'm with JRuby here. What's with all these negative waves man? Is there any proof that this is a bad hire? I mean, other than the fact that our city counsel and mayor are simple clones of the latter, and I don't trust or like ANY of the city/county politicians in Oregon any more. Not being argumentative I really want to know. If Oakland is as bad as people say that doesn't necessarily mean this gal will be terrible at the job. If anything, the gal would be terrible because of the mayor and city council! Imagine trying to work with THAT "Circus" of clowns?

I'm with JRuby here. What's with all these negative waves man? Is there any proof that this is a bad hire? I mean, other than the fact that our city counsel and mayor are simple clones of the latter, and I don't trust or like ANY of the city/county politicians in Oregon any more. Not being argumentative I really want to know. If Oakland is as bad as people say that doesn't necessarily mean this gal will be terrible at the job. If anything, the gal would be terrible because of the mayor and city council! Imagine trying to work with THAT "Circus" of clowns?

For me, it's a LONG demonstrated track record of what appear to have been bad choices. I just don't think I trust them to make the right decisions any longer. But as I noted in my previous post, I am willing to accept that I'm wrong on this one, if she proves out to do a good job. History is not on her side, at least as far as Portland's top cop list has shown.

I looked up the list of past PDX police chiefs. I was surprised how many made it around a year and then were gone again. Also shocked that Charles Moose lasted as long as he did.

What I would really like to see is someone who came from an area with a ton of problems and a demonstrated track record of cleaning them up. I don't think that's too much to ask, but I've not yet seen one that can say that.

For me, it's a LONG demonstrated track record of what appear to have been bad choices. I just don't think I trust them to make the right decisions any longer. But as I noted in my previous post, I am willing to accept that I'm wrong on this one, if she proves out to do a good job. History is not on her side, at least as far as Portland's top cop list has shown.

I looked up the list of past PDX police chiefs. I was surprised how many made it around a year and then were gone again. Also shocked that Charles Moose lasted as long as he did.

What I would really like to see is someone who came from an area with a ton of problems and a demonstrated track record of cleaning them up. I don't think that's too much to ask, but I've not yet seen one that can say that.
A lot of "public servants" (lol) "retire" and then go back to work.. holding the same job. "Double Dipping" by getting their full financial benefits package and then their salary at work. I wonder if some "top cops" are quadruple dipping or somesuch.
Would make for an interesting story/piece.

That is the problem. Wheeler wants to have his hands in the police department and the chiefs pocket. He has no practical policing experience but wants to act like a cop. He expressed early on in his campaign about how he wanted to work closely with the police chief. Which isnt an entirely bad thing, but i believe it is not motivated by letting the police enforce the laws. Rather it is motivated by telling the chief what he wants done that will further his political agenda.
The Trimet cops killed a person less than a mile from my home recently. Wheeler showed up on the scene before the body was cold.
While i can certainly understand his concern. He needs to stay away from the scene and let the staff that handles these types of things do their job.
Maybe if he can do that, he can wrangle the crazy things in the city like potholes, public works projects that always come in way, way, way, over budget. Or maybe he can wrap his mind around the fact that the freeway infrastructure in the Metro area is at capacity and the solution to fixing it does not involve laying more max tracks, bike lanes, or other half baked feel good horse pucky.
Then if he is really feeling motivated he can figure out how to get the homeless issue under control.
If he can figure out reasonable and equitable solutions to those problems, then maybe he can assist the PPD. But it looks like he has a full workload without meddling in law enforcement affairs.

Is there any proof that this is a bad hire?

Has the City of Portland made a good hire for Police Chief in the last 30 years ?? Has there been any that did not "retire" when sh*t went south on them ?

With all due respect to those of you who live in Portland, you get what you deserve. As long as the ultra liberal left runs that city, you will have a revolving door of politically acceptable hires who the minute they try and put their own style on the Bureau, will be thrown under the bus as incompetent, much like Portland has thrown its officers under the bus for years when sh*t goes bad. If a police chief comes to Portland, they damn sure know the history and patterns of how it has operated and should not be surprised when they are fired after a couple of their officers take a suspect down and injury him while he is trying to resist arrest.

On the flip side maybe she knows a thing or two about dealing with a bunch of anarchists and rioters.

Anybody remember "Don't choke them, smoke them. "?

. He expressed early on in his campaign about how he wanted to work closely with the police chief. Which isnt an entirely bad thing, but i believe it is not motivated by letting the police enforce the laws. Rather it is motivated by telling the chief what he wants done that will further his political agenda.

Of course it is. That is the way of micro management of those under you whom you wish to be puppets for you. And then of course when something one of "them" does goes wrong, you throw them under the bus even though you sanctioned and approved what they did. Until he goes wrong. Then it is their fault. They can do all the work and the honk at the top gets credit and takes it if things go right. If not, the drone gets hosed. I have worked with so many companies in the past that had this type of culture, and we blew out the upper honks and found perfectly competent people working right under them.

If any of the drones are a threat to the incompetent person at the top, the drone will be kept down and suppressed until they leave on their own, tired of their incompetent bosses leadership style, or the top honk can drop the hammer on them for some fabricated reason. Wait until the millennials get a hand on this style and watch them feed on their own every day.

For those who haven't heard, Portland has a new Chief of Police.

So this one will likely be much better since she is another Wheeler appointee and has 19 years in the Oakland PD. ....Bwahahahaha :s0140:

<broken link removed>
Hillarious...I live a couple of miles from Oakland. Thank God I'm on an island as water's a great barrier. As I recall Outlaw resigned in disgrace over her role in the cover up scandal involving officers passing around a teenage prostitute who was the daughter of a police dispatcher. Reminds me of the CEO of my former emloyer. He ran the biggest LTL freight company in the country into the ground and went straight into running the ship line my buddy works for!

Hillarious...I live a couple of miles from Oakland. Thank God I'm on an island as water's a great barrier. As I recall Outlaw resigned in disgrace over her role in the cover up scandal involving officers passing around a teenage prostitute who was the daughter of a police dispatcher. Reminds me of the CEO of my former emloyer. He ran the biggest LTL freight company in the country into the ground and went straight into running the ship line my buddy works for!

Interesting...Did this make the press, we should look at a link to it if so. {especially the part about her resignation}. o_O

Interesting...Did this make the press, we should look at a link to it if so. {especially the part about her resignation}. o_O
Yes the whole scandel was huge news here recetly and has yet to play out completely. Oakland had 3 or 4 chiefs in a year due to it!

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top