JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Andy, You might want to run that by the new owners of the Expo show. They might comp you a table to do that. I do know that they need more full tables at the show. You still have the fuel and parking expense but your concept does have an appeal. I attend the Civil War encampments for the very reason that it is educational and also the suttlers. I know how the battles and the war ends but the information being presented by very knowlegable people you can't find anywhere else. Just a thought.

So if I'm hearing (reading) you right, they nail a vendor for table space, AND make them pay parking?? At some point there is that final straw. I can see where something as simple as that extra $3.00 added to the parking fee a couple of years ago could have been that final straw. That's nervy when they sometimes have the hot tub, or RV shows, and proclaim free parking.

So if I'm hearing (reading) you right, they nail a vendor for table space, AND make them pay parking?? At some point there is that final straw. I can see where something as simple as that extra $3.00 added to the parking fee a couple of years ago could have been that final straw. That's nervy when they sometimes have the hot tub, or RV shows, and proclaim free parking.

The parking fee may be dictated by the owners of the EXPO center, not the gun show promoter(s).

Gun show vendors as well as the public attending pay the parking fee. It is $16 for vendors for the two days of the show. I don't know the drill for other evens there or if it is METRO or whoever. At any rate, it is all part of doing business there and when there is no business it tends to take a toll. There are more and more vendors that simply don't do that show. I will continue to help my friend because he is 87 year old and doesn't get around very well because of a bad knee. When he is out that it will be history for me.

For me I didn't do any Expo shows last year, I'm new in business and trying to figure out what does and doesn't work. I believe I lost some business by not attending at least a couple shows there a year. I need to put aside my personal prejudices about Portland's politics, drivers, freeways, fees and all that and attend to business. I sell ammunition that is popular, but my customers if they don't see me at a show will buy it somewhere else. I'm kind of excited to see someone at least willing to try to make a bigger and better show out of Portland so will give it a try again.

I've been moaning about the decline of the Portland show for years, but on the other hand I have scored enough good guns there at good prices that I will occasionally bite the bullet and go back in. A vast majority of the complaints spouted here confine themselves to a cost-benefit ratio (expense to get in, prices, etc.) I am somewhat innocculated from such a view as my main reasons for going are entertainment and knowledge. But...recently...

A Remington Model 722 .300 Savage in un-messed-with shape (other than a period-correct Redfield receiver peep properly installed.) It was on a table all by itself surrounded by antique clocks. I was VERY short on funds, and so merely kicked the tires on it at first passing, muttering to myself, "It won't be there when you come back and so the decision to make an offer will be moot."

Hour and a half later, I swung by the table to see and the darn thing was still there like a poor little puppy at the pet store. Guy said I was the only person that even looked at it. (He'd taken it in from an estate with old clocks). "Make me an offer". Lowballed him right off the bat, once again thinking I'd walk away unscathed with the decision out of my hands.

$175.

I had a Lyman Alaskan in fine shape laying around, Brownells supplied another one of the best rifle slings ever devised by man (Latigo), and I inletted the buttstock beneath the aluminum buttpad to accommodate the slider piece (with aperture) of the fine Redfield. Die-stamped the spacer piece I made for the sight base to read "BUTT PLT" so that any prospective owner in the future would know where to find his irons.

The gun now has three sighting systems at the ready and dialed, Don't write off the crappy Portland show yet.

Oh: And Welcome to 1958:

p1050112-jpg.647196

P1050111.JPG

P1050112.JPG

I've been moaning about the decline of the Portland show for years, but on the other hand I have scored enough good guns there at good prices that I will occasionally bite the bullet and go back in. A vast majority of the complaints spouted here confine themselves to a cost-benefit ratio (expense to get in, prices, etc.) I am somewhat innocculated from such a view as my main reasons for going are entertainment and knowledge. But...recently...

A Remington Model 722 .300 Savage in un-messed-with shape (other than a period-correct Redfield receiver peep properly installed.) It was on a table all by itself surrounded by antique clocks. I was VERY short on funds, and so merely kicked the tires on it at first passing, muttering to myself, "It won't be there when you come back and so the decision to make an offer will be moot."

Hour and a half later, I swung by the table to see and the darn thing was still there like a poor little puppy at the pet store. Guy said I was the only person that even looked at it. (He'd taken it in from an estate with old clocks). "Make me an offer". Lowballed him right off the bat, once again thinking I'd walk away unscathed with the decision out of my hands.

$175.

I had a Lyman Alaskan in fine shape laying around, Brownells supplied another one of the best rifle slings ever devised by man (Latigo), and I inletted the buttstock beneath the aluminum buttpad to accommodate the slider piece (with aperture) of the fine Redfield. Die-stamped the spacer piece I made for the sight base to read "BUTT PLT" so that any prospective owner in the future would know where to find his irons.

The gun now has three sighting systems at the ready and dialed, Don't write off the crappy Portland show yet.

Oh: And Welcome to 1958:

p1050112-jpg.647196

P1050111.JPG

View attachment 647567

Coincidence...I have that same Lyman Alaskan. In even better shape. It was mounted on my dad's M17 Enfield he sporterized in '48-'49.
Curious about the rings? I played with putting that late 40's scope on an AK47 and had to do some searching to find 7/8" to picatiny rings.

Coincidence...I have that same Lyman Alaskan. In even better shape. It was mounted on my dad's M17 Enfield he sporterized in '48-'49.
Curious about the rings? I played with putting that late 40's scope on an AK47 and had to do some searching to find 7/8" to picatiny rings.

Rings came with the scope, so maybe Lyman as well? Turret dovetail front and traversing rough windage adjustment on rear that melded perfectly with Leupold bases. Yes, 7/8 rings to mate to Weaver style bases are hard to find but Weaver did make them relatively recently. Leupold also manufactured 7/8 STD rings when they introduced their "Retro" Alaskan line in the '90's, so watch for them.

Rings came with the scope, so maybe Lyman as well? Turret dovetail front and traversing rough windage adjustment on rear that melded perfectly with Leupold bases. Yes, 7/8 rings to mate to Weaver style bases are hard to find but Weaver did make them relatively recently. Leupold also manufactured 7/8 STD rings when they introduced their "Retro" Alaskan line in the '90's, so watch for them.

I had found what I needed at the time on ebay, so I'm good to go with the AK. I feel deep inside though, that the Lyman should be on dad's rifle how he made it and not the AK. I'd like to find a late 40's-early 50's vintage for the AK. Haven't seen anything that wasn't $$, or crappy glass.

Being new to the area, this was my fist gun show here and initial impression was that it is just like any other gun show I have been to. Vendors awful "proud" of their wares, but some good deals to be had. There was an ammo vendor there that was pretty much sold out, so he had the deal of the show. Did find a guy in the back with old surplus parts that had a box full of M1 Carbine parts. Bought a newer looking gas piston and nut from him. One table had a few "under $100" 22's that were interesting, along with a couple of dandy little .410's. Could have easily picked up 4 guns from him, but I am out of storage space.

Overall, it was good for the times. Sure it had its share of art and a big booth of first aid stuff, but it's hasn't gone full foo-foo yet. Yes the good old days are gone, but I still appreciate being able to go look.

Private party transfers.

Yeah, last private party transfer at a gun show I did in Washington was in 1996 for a Cobray M11/9. New in the box from a guy who had 100+ New in box guns on the table. I handed him the cash, he handed me the gun and I'm like "what about the 4473? "I'm not a dealer" he says.

10 plus years ago the Portland show was great. Definitely not what is use to be. I hit up the Rickreall show for the first time in the last year and it was the best show I had been to in years

I know I've said it before on another gun show thread; it's all about expectations. If you go to a gun show with the expectation of finding a great deal on a new gun, then you might as well just get online and order one in to your local dealer.

If you enjoy browsing around for entertainment, talking to people, looking for something you don't need, or a diamond in the rough, then shows can be fun. I never go with the expectation that every table will have good deals or something I'm interested in. If 1 table in 50 has something worthwhile then I figure it's pretty good. I went to a piddly little show in Tillamook one time. It really was a pathetic little show, but there was one guy with a couple tables, selling a bunch of old reloading and ammo type stuff from an estate. I ended up buying a whole bunch of stuff from him, so it was a great show!

Speaking of reloading components, I've found some great deals in the last year or so, but you have to go early and look for them. I've stocked up on plenty of powder for $15/lb or less, and lots of primers for $20/k. There's always a bunch of tables with high prices, but then you'll find the guy with too much stock on hand who just wants to blow it out. Shows now are so much better than the "shortage years", when there were no deals to be had on anything.

If you don't enjoy the process though, and you just want to find that killer deal on a new rifle and be on your way, then you're probably better off spending your time doing something else.

Just another piece of what used to be that I loved, going, going and soon to be, I believe, gone. Memories are strong and sweet of the "used to be" gun shows. And I suppose those memories are what make the current situation so distasteful. There were four of us and always at least three would go as a group. Be there when it opened, walked slowly 'till your knees ached. Talked, bargained, kibitzed and speculated like crazy. Lot of it was real salted with occasional BS. And we knew we were generating memories to be talked about over and over likely until almost the next show. After what seemed like hours we'd gather up and head to a lunch knowing that was probably another couple of hours, and maybe a beer or two to keep our voices in shape for all the talk going on. Then home, thinking of a story to tell just in case you'd spent a few extra bucks of family money. It's gone and I wish my memories of it would go so I wouldn't miss it as much.

I think of it as low-risk gambling (I don't do the high risk kind). You may pay parking and admission and come out with nothing. Or you might find a gem. It's actually fairly cheap entertainment, probably cheaper than going to the movies these days.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top