JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like the arpc gun show but I havent found any good deals on guns. I may be the odd man out here but I'll buy all my new guns online nowadays. I find much better prices online. And even with shipping ( which is usually free or very cheap) and ffl fees I still save money. The 2 S&W M&P's I got I got online for $400 and $420...every local shop wanted $550+ so yeah I dont mind a 7 day wait and a $25 fee to save hundreds. With that being said the show is great to go and see everything in one spot and get to pick up guns and see how they feel and I always try to buy some small stuff, magazines, food, trinkets and what not. Just not firearms. That may change though, I just havent found a decent deal yet is all.
And then B 4 you know it all the local gun shops Vanish

And then B 4 you know it all the local gun shops Vanish
Well that's business...your either competitive or your business goes under. I'm not going to spend an extra $150 on a gun to support a local shop. Sorry. If it really was just a few bucks, $10-40 then sure but $150...That's a lot of ammo. They wont all go under anyways cause the majority of people dont want to order online or dont know about it. I bought my first probably 7 or 8 guns in stores a giant markups just because I didnt know you could order online. And theres many people just getting into guns that are in the same spot I was and there will be more people after that.

Ok but lets take this to the end
if your not what you say competitive where are you going to go for your Back Ground check

I shop local to a degree because I know if you don't support local there will be no local

What killed it for me was the choice of venue.

Why would I choose to go to a venue that denies my right to concealed carry, and is an obvious target for militant fruit-loops on the far left. "they specifically have signs prohibiting it" — really? I don't shop Keiths for the same reason.

I see many comments that indicate, with the possible exception of the Albany show, that most gun shows in the Northwest are not that great. This actually may present an opportunity for a group to bring back the gun shows of the past. Maybe the members of this site could form a 501c3 non-profit, call it the Northwest Firearms Collectors Association for the purpose of organizing a couple of big gun shows/meet-ups in the PNW every year. Take the profit motive out of the show and charge just enough to cover the venue and admin costs, make it free for members. The Oregon Knife Collectors does it every year, and people from all over the West attend that show in Eugene. Just a thought.....

I see many comments that indicate, with the possible exception of the Albany show, that most gun shows in the Northwest are not that great. This actually may present an opportunity for a group to bring back the gun shows of the past. Maybe the members of this site could form a 501c3 non-profit, call it the Northwest Firearms Collectors Association for the purpose of organizing a couple of big gun shows/meet-ups in the PNW every year. Take the profit motive out of the show and charge just enough to cover the venue and admin costs, make it free for members. The Oregon Knife Collectors does it every year, and people from all over the West attend that show in Eugene. Just a thought.....

Interesting idea...
I have often debated the idea of having a display set of my antique muzzleloaders and even giving a talk of the history behind them or the fur trade , etc...at a "modern gun show"...
What is a stopping point for me in this is the cost of the table rent....some places its $40 or more per table...
And if I ain't selling anything....I can't afford to give a display / talk...
Andy

We are almost there....
We just need to keep complaining about them and stop attending gun shows until most of them dry up and go away.

We have waaaaaay to many gun shows! Seems like you can go to a gun show most any weekend of the year (with a little driving).

Back in the late 80's and early 90's there were only a couple of gun shows a year within driving distance and they were more anticipated events with better deals and more of the items you were looking for.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want the gun shows to end, I think less of them will increase their value/enjoyment and quality.

I just returned from the show. I have to agree and disagree with a lot of posts.

The parking and entry fee is a $20 setback from the beginning. I get over it real quick when I walk in through the doors and realize that there is not one LGS that has what is in front of me. Now, for the 2-3+ hours walking, looking, drooling, handling and fondling NUMEROUS makes and models of firearms.

With the advent of the internet pricing can be found cross country and around the world. As a lot of folks like to reminisce about "the old days", well, now everyone knows what a good deal is, and isn't anymore. But, if you look, you'll still find good deals. Lots of good deals. I see folks complaining that they can't low-ball someone for something. I have NEVER been turned down for a reasonable offer - regardless of what the initial asking was.

"Asking price". That is exactly that. They have to put a price on their stuff, and they have to start someplace. They can always go down, but they can never go UP on their price when "negotiating".

Yeah, you have the same people asking 20% OVER new price, for a rifle that was used as a splitting axe. Or $150 more for a pistol, than the guy 1/2 way down the isle is selling too. Offer something for it if you are interested.

I'm picking this next item as it seems to stick out the most..... AR mags or Glock mags. 1 guy is wanting to sell his PMAG's for $20ea. The guy 2 isle's over, and 1/2 way up, is selling them for $10ea. Glock mags are the same. If I don't want to walk back to the "cheaper guy" I at least offer what the other guy is selling them for. Very rarely am I ever turned down. Or the people that think just because it's 30 years old, doesn't make it worth 200%-300% of a new one.

Yeah, sure, you get great prices online, but take into consideration shipping, FFL fee's, wait times, blah, blah, blah and you've saved yourself what? Or better yet, you buy it from an auction and realize that that there was a lot more wrong with it that disclosed.

I'll still go to them on occasion. I like looking. On rare occasions there is something that i can't live without. Looking at all the products, eye-candy, bling, the latest on the market (and being able to hold and feel every one of them), 3 hours of exercise, etc, is $20 nicely spent by me.

My $0.02.

Can't disagree with the above. And I'm always up for meeting another regular board member.

I really get the urge to go to the EXPO shows again. Even the entry fee isn't too high considering all the stuff inside to look at. Go to a local pub to meet friends or watch a game and you'll spend more. The parking fee going up to $10.00 is the killer for me. I LIVE where METRO has their hands in my pants throughout the year with their damned fees and taxes. And I'm sure MultCo has something to do with that too. Effer's, both of them.

I heard that this was a "new" show. A Shooting sports show or Sportsmans show type. Is it worth going if I'm looking at guns or should I not waste my time? I don't like paying the parking and entry fee but do it because I enjoy looking at guns and talking to the vendors.

I've been hearing this on the radio all last week. Really made me want to check it out. I think it's a good idea to add some other outdoor related stuff to the shows. But then maybe I'm weird, I don't give a rip if there are "Carol's Nuts" and hand carved wooden ships and airplanes. It's not like there are vendors dying to get in and Carol's Nut are taking up THEIR table. It's more work to get on-line and cry about it than walk right on by to the next table. Besides, munching on a bag of nuts while perusing tables isn't a bad thing. If you don't like nuts, don't buy 'em.

Gun shows in the NW fizzled out 2-3 years ago and have only gotten worse. I'm not going to drop $20, when I can walk into any Oregon gun store and get the exact same price. Vendors that still attend the show should save the cost and just offer free background checks if they want to increase business.

Maybe the members of this site could form a 501c3 non-profit, call it the Northwest Firearms Collectors Association for the purpose of organizing a couple of big gun shows/meet-ups in the PNW every year.
Great idea!
How about if the stipulation was NO dealers ?

'Hobby' type dealers only, collectors, weekenders and small show types only.

I have to say that I think the Gunshow gigs at the Expo center have been a bust for a long long time. Overpriced stuff and not a thing that was novel or unusual, no treasure to be found and no screaming deals, the parking was expensive too.

Plus, being disarmed at the entrance...

If the Portland Gun show still has life the pulse must be weak. . . . and they are running out of meds. The final days will be apparent. They will kill the hot dogs.

Gun shows in the NW fizzled out 2-3 years ago and have only gotten worse. I'm not going to drop $20, when I can walk into any Oregon gun store and get the exact same price. Vendors that still attend the show should save the cost and just offer free background checks if they want to increase business.
I have a quick question so If everything is free does the vendor simply pick up the tab for everyone .
This sounds great but who pays for the FFl License / Business License/reseller permit License / Dealer License / the LLC License buying all items for inventory so you find what you want when you come in looking , then when BGC is Needed offer that for free to , Please tell where this store is in Oregon or Washington

A lot of good back & forth here that has been said many times over. Once again, I will offer some input from the "other side of the table". I spent the week end with a friend that has a few tables at the Expo show and yes, it is a bit spendy to get inside. $70 per table plus parking plus fuel from Lebanon not to mention the time involved and labor hauling the inventory and putting it on display and then loading it all back in the rig at the end of the show because all anyone did was pick it up and play with it. No free lunch from the "other side".

That being said, the fun begins when the doors open. Two days of people walking by with a thousand yard stare, sometimes picking up a weapon to fondle and asking to cut the tie to "try the trigger" that sort of thing and this is $800 - 1K weapons with no intention of buying. No mention of prices being above retail because nobody trying to deal on anything. Coupled with that is the stories about what they used to have or telling you all about their knowledge of what they might have in their hands. Hopefully nobody will take something apart that they can't put beck together.

As for high prices, the public coming through either wants to sell something but they don't have a price on it or their prices are well above what my friend would price his merchandise for. That coupled with the old adage "I took that thing to a gun show and got rid of it" knowing it didn't function.

Everyone has their take on things but the options are LGS, internet or gun shows. The commies in Salem have taken away the old hobby of cash & carry. No positive results from that as yet but that is reality. Are we our own worst enemy by not voting them out of office? Would a republican governing body do us any better? Who knows. What we have in front of us is reality and we have to deal with it but not necessarily like it. If gun shows are not supported by the public then the only options will be LGS or the net. As a community, we will decide how things go in the future.

Thank you for enduring my rant but I felt that things should be put in a bit of a different perspective. Keep in mind that the vendors have the option of not participating in guns shows and sticking to word of mouth, LGS or the net.

Bulk powder, bullets and primers at a price cheaper than retail was one of the major "purchasing" reasons I attended so many different shows in the past. Neither bulk nor cheaper can be found - at least not without great perseverance (and luck). I have my old guns, and new... guess we all eventually get to an age where we find there to be very little "new" desires out there. Had always thought the crowded parking lots and ticket sales were a sign of strength. I find myself still waiting for someone we can all get behind to step up and say follow me.

Interesting idea...
I have often debated the idea of having a display set of my antique muzzleloaders and even giving a talk of the history behind them or the fur trade , etc...at a "modern gun show"...
What is a stopping point for me in this is the cost of the table rent....some places its $40 or more per table...
And if I ain't selling anything....I can't afford to give a display / talk...
Andy

Andy, You might want to run that by the new owners of the Expo show. They might comp you a table to do that. I do know that they need more full tables at the show. You still have the fuel and parking expense but your concept does have an appeal. I attend the Civil War encampments for the very reason that it is educational and also the suttlers. I know how the battles and the war ends but the information being presented by very knowlegable people you can't find anywhere else. Just a thought.

Exactly. Gone are the tables filled with Garands, Enfields, and M1 Carbines.. Gone are the tables filled with high end rifles like HK, Galil, Uzi etc.. Gone are the tables filled with lever-actions going back 100 years.. Gone are the tables filled with 98k's or bolt-action hunting rifles... They're still out there, but now they're on the web, scattered across various forums and online auctions. The new normal..

Sorry but my friend had some of what you are mentioning here plus parts and other hard to find items that go with those weapons. No takers. About the only interest were those that wanted to get below low wholesale and unfortunately the cost of acquiring that inventory and the cost of doing any gun show prohibits selling below the cost of the merchandise and unfortunately that is what the public is wanting.

Sorry but my friend had some of what you are mentioning here plus parts and other hard to find items that go with those weapons. No takers. About the only interest were those that wanted to get below low wholesale and unfortunately the cost of acquiring that inventory and the cost of doing any gun show prohibits selling below the cost of the merchandise and unfortunately that is what the public is wanting.

....THIS.....

Whether at a LGS, or trying to sell privately, it seems everyone wants it for below cost - and can "justify" why you need to sell it to them BELOW cost. (IE: "I can get this anywhere on the 'net for xxxx amount of money..." Yeah, right.....:rolleyes:)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top