JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for people with firsthand experience with pistol comps and/or ported barrels. I've gotten bored with the plain Jane irons and black barrels so I started branching out. I just shot my M&P 9mm performance center with a ported barrel yesterday for the first time and I was both surprised and disappointed. Surprised in that it wouldn't cycle my lighter loads that my Glock 34 digested well the same day and disappointed that I couldn't really feel any less recoil compared to same. My Glock 22c definitely benefits from it's ported barrel so I thought a ported 9 would be like a dream. It just shoots like a 9. I'm also assuming it failed to cycle light loads because the porting bled off enough pressure to prevent that.

Compensators are something I've never tried, though by looking at them, it seems like they theoretically do the same thing porting does without the velocity loss. Please share your experiences

You've already experienced the "mechanical" downside.
But then, what about the added length (with a comp)?

But whatever......it's up to YOU.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....also, consider your "night vision". And, some say.....your hearing will/might also be affected.

In the end.....what's it all worth to YOU?

Last Edited:
Comps and porting both use the gas pressure to do their job and light loads don't have much if any extra pressure so your not going see much improvement. Hot loads with slow burning powder are the ticket to better results

Experienced with both, on handguns and rifles. There are arguments pro and con of their effectiveness. Ported, you're stuck with it forever. Muzzle devices, when you finally decide they are not worth the effort, they can be removed and replaced with a thread protector.

P1040627.jpg

Over and above performance, I excuse myself from the firing line or bench when anybody else is using an offensive compensator. They can be punishing to spotters or other shooters.

Last Edited:
Experienced with both. There are arguments pro and con of their effectiveness. Ported, you're stuck with it forever. Muzzle devices, when you finally decide they are not worth the effort, they can be removed and replaced with a thread protector.

Over and above performance, I excuse myself from the firing line when anybody else is using a compensator. They can be punishing to spotters or neighbors on the other benches.
Pretty much my experience as well. Never thought much about either and I've never heard of any real advantages. Maybe sone recoil mitigation, but even then it's not going to turn a 9mm into a .22lr recoil signature. I've shot a few pistols over the years that had comps and ports but never wanted one myself. Even my rifles aren't comped.

I've never ran a ported barrel. I do however run comps on many guns and really enjoy them. 9mm is not a high recoil pistol but with a PMM or Radian comp where your cutting recoil by over 40% it's very noticeable and shoots flat.

They can be finicky though depending on ammo. It also can be affected if there is weight added to slide such as certain optics. It takes time to find the sweet spot. Dual port comps are much more finicky than single port comps. If it was a duty gun or carry gun I would suggest single port. If it's a range/competition gun I may go with a dual port comp.

My current carry gun is compensated and I have no issues with it at all.

I think it goes without saying but a Comp just like a RDS won't fix or compensate for poor shooting mechanics.

Experienced with both, on handguns and rifles. There are arguments pro and con of their effectiveness. Ported, you're stuck with it forever. Muzzle devices, when you finally decide they are not worth the effort, they can be removed and replaced with a thread protector.

View attachment 1394554

Over and above performance, I excuse myself from the firing line or bench when anybody else is using an offensive compensator. They can be punishing to spotters or other shooters.

Fair enough. I know I've moved more than once when someone with a big brake hits the rifle line. I have to wonder if comps to the same thing with pistols or maybe to a lesser degree?

Fair enough. I know I've moved more than once when someone with a big brake hits the rifle line. I have to wonder if comps to the same thing with pistols or maybe to a lesser degree?
Way less on a pistol.

Maybe not, they are are fun on the range, though. Sometimes it's fun to explore new stuff
Oh if you're a good shooter a comp will definitely benefit you. I was simply saying that a part won't make you a good shooter.

Just an example. This is my current carry gun until I get my G45 sighted in. Single port PMM comp on a G19X.

D46FF333-90B1-4E6E-A172-EC3C8FF0D0C2.jpeg D7BB925B-C738-44EA-9B20-0C83A9B859F8.jpeg

I would like to ask what's different enough about the G45 that you want to switch from the 19X? That comp looks like it makes your gun just a hair longer than a 17
Between a 17 and a 34.

My G45 is comped too. And has an optic on it. My main reason is because if my shirt is raised accidentally the tan is much more noticeable than black in contrast to my undershirts. Color is the main reason other than a red dot.

The only pistol I have put a compensator on is a .45 1911 and the effect was minimal. I had to try it for myself and now I know it isn't worth it for me.

My HK91 rifle made a huge difference replacing the flash hider with a muzzle brake. It went from slapping my cheek on every shot to down right pleasant to shoot.

Oh, I also have a EWK screw on compensator for my Dan Wesson 744 revolver which is a pretty trick piece of kit. Even with decent power .44mag loads I don't think it makes a huge noticeable difference. It may tame the muzzle rise a bit but that is probably due to the extra weight as much as anything.

I have a comped 308 ,30-06, 300 bo 22 pistol 45 acp. The rifles brings the kick way down. My 45 the loads have to be pretty hot to cycle but muzzle jump is greatly reduced my 22 keeps muzzle jump to a minimum. My biggest dislike is they are loud as luck..

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top