Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Poll: Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by dobeman, Mar 24, 2010.

1. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

so what type of hearing protection do you use for shooting? if you use ear muffs, what type/brand?

2. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Cheapo Harbor Freight $5 muffs. Work great though and are pretty comfortable.

3. theflyguy

theflyguy Beaverton, Oregon Member

Yellow foam ear plugs that I buy at my local Lowe's. Works great. When they get dirty, I put them in one of my wife's "nylon washing bags" and throw them in the washer. When they are done I let them air dry....good as new.

4. uscsoldier

uscsoldier Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

5. crosse

crosse Bellevue Active Member

6. cbzdel

cbzdel Tacoma, WA Member

I use some cheap muffs from walmart I think they are called silence-o they were like $12

7. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Depends. I use the foam plugs when shotgunning. I use Peltor electrics when shooting my wheelguns and rifles. I use US Navy flight deck ear muffs WITH the foam plugs when I shoot the big boomers like my 300 Ultra or 338 winnie.

8. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

When shooting shotgun I use custom molded plugs. When shooting HP rifle and handgun I use the plugs plus some cheap Silencio muffs.

9. bugeye

bugeye Oregon Well-Known Member

I use the same ones!
    I also use their ear plugs though I find the mack's ear plugs are better.
    The bulk plugs I buy are cheap so I give them away at the range if I see someone without protection.
    Sometimes both at once if I'm shooting something loud or one of my range neighbors is.
    I like to use the plugs alone when possible as they don't get in the way.
    As a motorcyclist I've been using ear plugs for a long time, they have to be put in right or they don't work, they need to be sticking into your ear canal and not just bunched up and in the shallow ear bowl.

10. thelendog

thelendog Milwaukie Member

outside I use electronic muffs, inside I use foam plugs & the muffs.

11. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

SHOW-OFF!!, I got the $2.99 muffs, if they aren't cutting it I have a pair of Army issued orange rubber plugs from like 20 years ago.

12. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

which brand of e-muff?

13. satinwood

satinwood Portland Member

I use electronic Howard Leights ear muffs. i really like them. They are great for hearing and talking to people while blocking out the gun blast. For extra protection i use the disposable ear plugs inside the ear muffs. Works great.

14. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

Ear muffs when out shooting in the woods, ear plugs and ear muffs when at the range since it's usually much louder. I don't like to wear ear plugs when I don't have to, they hurt my ears..

15. MEP1000

MEP1000 Milwaukie Active Member

I use Peltor electronic muffs :D If indoors and lots of shooters sometimes I will double up with foam plugs

16. pirateer2007

pirateer2007 Spokane Wa Member

caldwell electronic muffs

17. James1300

James1300 S.E. WA. Member

Huh? Speak-up! Type louder, please!

18. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

+1

19. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

I use the mid-priced Silencio earmuffs with the "liquid-filled" ear cushions. WELL worth the slight increase in price. These ear cup cushions really shape themselves to your head and seal well so that they do not have to be worn so tightly as the cheapos, and they dampen noise much better as a result.

For you younger macho-man shooters, PLEASE don't kid around like I did when I was young-and-tough and skip good hearing protection! You don't want to end up an old fart like me with constant tinnitis! It's like my own personal little steam whistles constantly sounding inside my head.............................elsullo:(

20. toobigtofail

toobigtofail PDX Member

I use Home Depot plain ear muffs and disposable foam in the ear plugs. I wouldn't mind more protection, my Mosin Nagants are pretty darn loud.