JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a pair of Walker Razor and Peltor Rangeguard electronic hearing protection, and usually use a cheap pair of sunglasses or shooting glasses on the range. I highly recommend everyone get electronic ear muffs for shooting if you haven't yet, they make a world of difference!
I've been considering upgrading to a pair of electronic ear buds for shooting, and to get a pair of shooting sunglasses (just has to be polarized for use while fishing).

I'm curious what you guys use or would recommend.

All things related to ear and eye protection on the range!

I understand this is an old thread, but I'm going to bump it, because I also need some recommendations for hearing protection. And eye protection for that matter. The range I go to is indoor, so a majority of my practice will be inside. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I bought myself a pair of Leupold Becnara glasses and absolutely love them.
The Peltor RangeGuard ear muffs would be a useful set of ear pro to you, as they allow you to hear your surroundings (such as range commands).

I bought myself a pair of Leupold Becnara glasses and absolutely love them.
The Peltor RangeGuard ear muffs would be a useful set of ear pro to you, as they allow you to hear your surroundings (such as range commands).
Is there a certain NRR you'd recommend? It seems that everything I looked at so far ranges from low twenties to low thirties.

I started with the Howard Leigh Impact Sport version, but switched to the Impact Pro version for the higher NRR. They work really well, if I turn them up, I can hear people talking at the other end of the firing line, a good 50' away, but they still clamp down instantly if someone fires. Price is good, around $60 on Amazon, and battery life is stellar, I bought mine 3 years ago and I'm still on the original set of batteries. My only "complaint" is using them when shooting rifles, they're bulky enough to get in the way a bit.

On NRR, the higher the better, especially if shooting indoors. About 32 is as high as they get, adding ear plugs only nets you about another 5 or so NRR points, or whatever the correct term should be. Google NRR, there's some excellent info on the subject available. Later.

Dave

If you want electronic muffs you're stuck in the low 20's, i've always found it to be fine for shooting most calibers indoors. I did find that magnum rounds indoors were still loud, but i'd rather be situationally aware.

If you want electronic muffs you're stuck in the low 20's, i've always found it to be fine for shooting most calibers indoors. I did find that magnum rounds indoors were still loud, but i'd rather be situationally aware.
Check again, Flymph, the one's I mentioned are rated at 30 NRR. Later.

Dave

I started with the Howard Leigh Impact Sport version, but switched to the Impact Pro version for the higher NRR. They work really well, if I turn them up, I can hear people talking at the other end of the firing line, a good 50' away, but they still clamp down instantly if someone fires. Price is good, around $60 on Amazon, and battery life is stellar, I bought mine 3 years ago and I'm still on the original set of batteries. My only "complaint" is using them when shooting rifles, they're bulky enough to get in the way a bit.

On NRR, the higher the better, especially if shooting indoors. About 32 is as high as they get, adding ear plugs only nets you about another 5 or so NRR points, or whatever the correct term should be. Google NRR, there's some excellent info on the subject available. Later.

Dave
Thanks for the input. I will take a look at those!

Howard Leigh and Walkers Razor (link) are very common at the range, I have the Howard Leighs and replaced the foam pads with gel after about 5 years of use. Both are noise cancelling and also slim so allow you to get a good cheek weld with long guns. The disposable foam ear plugs have some of the highest NRR and are cheap and readily available. I happen to use Surefire EP7s, but most any will work. I double up with anything above .22. Really surprised at the difference it makes.

I have an older set of Guide Gear earmuffs. Got them when Dad died five years ago. No idea how long he'd had them. Never have changed the batteries. We shoot outdoors and they work very well. I can turn them up and magnify my hearing and they cancel with the click of dropping an AR bolt.
I really liked having my grandson wearing them when we shoot. I don't have to worry about shouting for him to hear me. I also appreciate the "situationally aware" thingie @Flymph mentioned. Sometimes I am by myself or have my dog with me and It's nice to have ears when shooting.

Personally, suffering from tinnitus, I double up on ear protection. Foam or reusable ear plugs under electronic ear muffs. I turn up the ear muffs so I can hear range commands and have a conversation over the ear plugs, but when shots are fired the electronic ear muffs clamp down and I have double protection again.

I also have a pair of electronic ear plugs that I have tried out with pistol calibers, but not with rifle calibers so far.

As I recall the last article I read regarding Electronic Ear Protection recommends NRR of 30's!
Be aware not all electronic ear guards are created equal even with the same NRR rating .

As an instructor and competitor I spend lot of time at ranges both indoor and outdoor. I have several pair from relatively inexpensive to $150 pair. Price seems irrelevant to how they clip noise. My favorite pair were under $40 on sale. I also have a pair that are less cumbersome when shooting rifles. I have found that "in ear" foam and the "over ear" guards used together offer the most reliable protection both indoor and out door.
Hearing loss from shooting is cumulative. Prior to the 90's ear and eye protection requirements were mostly voluntary at most ranges. Hearing loss from shooting is cumulative and may take years to become a problem. I had my hearing checked this year and have some drop offs but not enough to require aids, yet!

Smiles,

Last Edited:
I've had not satisfying experience with electronics. Wore out couple pair Peltors beyond redemption. Used at range as well as mowing large acre lawn.
Not against 'em. Just found 3M 105 with foam plugs serve me just as well. And far longer.

I cannot speak to a brand or model of electronic hearing protection. But I bought a set several years ago. They worked okay in the way of reducing gunshot noise and still allowing hearing. I can't compare them to anything else as I only have experience of the one set and I don't remember what brand or model mine were. I will say they weren't the most expensive around, got them on Amazon. They still allowed a bit more gunshot sound than I'd have liked.

I'm hearing impaired and have tinnitus. I removed my hearing aids when using the electronic muffs. The muffs acted like an amplifier of normal sound, kind of like the hearing aids.

Why I don't still have my set: One time I was out shooting in the woods, clouds came along and it started raining. Evidently the battery compartments were not waterproof because moisture got in. After that, it was quickly downhill. I had to throw them away; since then I've been using just ordinary, non-electronic muffs. Not because I was unsatisfied, I just haven't gotten around to buying another pair of the electronic version. Next time around, I'm gonna buy them in person so I can try them out for fit in the store, if possible.

as they allow you to hear your surroundings (such as range commands).
And maybe prevent someone from getting the jump on you out in the woods.

I double up on ear protection.
I know of shooters who do this. Especially at the range, where someone with a .300 Rem. Ultra Mag might come along and set up on the bench right next to you.

Howard Leigh Impact Sport version is what I have. They have worked well. I do sometime seem to get some static on them coming from my cell phone. The Sport is thin and is better for shouldering a rifle. Make note that the thicker ones, regardless of make, seem to get in the way.

I have used, two different Walker Models, a Howard Leigh and something else all worked, I lie the Howard Leigh rather good, but bulky
I had an early model set of Walker ear buds, USB Rechargeable, battery life half a day, not a whole day like I needed, but the Cat's meow for rifle shooting. Stayed out of the way!

I am hearing impaired and need to wear hearing aids for near normal life anyway.

I have 3 budget or value level sets including the Walker Razor, which I like best. Not too much difference between $60 and bellow. You can always wear foam or other ear plugs if your electric ears aren't getting it done.

I plan to buy some extra sets and will stick with the Razors.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top