JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am hoping others will follow your example No_Regerts , in how to do this very challenging job properly, And my hat is off to you for figuring out how to work with people while you answer this calling! I hope no offence was taken, I just wanted to point out what I think one of the biggest problems we all have, IS! I feel like not enough training is involved in preparing officers for how to deal with people in a respectful manor, and how to try and calm situations in hopes of fixing things before they need fixing! I also feel like many LOE don't fully understand the impact they are having through there actions and demeanor when dealing with the public!

No offense at all brother. I have some ideas as to how the hiring process is causing some of these problems, or at least creates the environment for them. Many departments hire candidates from a pool generated by private testing companies like Public Safety Testing. A lot of times, that results in hiring outside the locality where the candidate has no personal investment in the area they are policing. I think its easier to be in robot mode or aggressive mode against people you dont know or care about.

Another thing is that personal history questionnaires weed out the best candidates. Saw a guy who interviewed great, was a local, lots of community ties, great attitude. He was 29, admitted to using some sort of steroid or HGH when he was in highschool and the beginning of college because he wanted to get stronger for football. Admitted it was a stupid mistake and I believe he meant it. Automatic disqualification.

Another thing is that personal history questionnaires weed out the best candidates. Saw a guy who interviewed great, was a local, lots of community ties, great attitude. He was 29, admitted to using some sort of steroid or HGH when he was in highschool and the beginning of college because he wanted to get stronger for football. Admitted it was a stupid mistake and I believe he meant it. Automatic disqualification.

That's too bad. Considering he was forthright about his past discretion, I would think that alone would say something about his character. He easily could have just lied about it and likely never have been found out. People make mistakes, they do stupid things. I'm all about 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances, etc., so long as the person can demonstrate that they are truly sorry for their actions and have shown that they no longer walk that path. How people react after they've done something wrong, to me, is a greater indication of the type of person they are rather than someone who claims or appears to have never done anything wrong.

If departments are looking for 'perfect' people, they're going to have a hard time finding them. None of us fits that bill. Sorry to hear they passed on a potentially good candidate over something like that. We need good people, not perfect people.

Thats too bad. He could have benefited from some of the "coaching" I, and others, received when we went into the military from our recruiters on what not to admit to.

That's too bad. Considering he was forthright about his past discretion, I would think that alone would say something about his character. He easily could have just lied about it and likely never have been found out. People make mistakes, they do stupid things. I'm all about 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances, etc., so long as the person can demonstrate that they are truly sorry for their actions and have shown that they no longer walk that path. How people react after they've done something wrong, to me, is a greater indication of the type of person they are rather than someone who claims or appears to have never done anything wrong.

If departments are looking for 'perfect' people, they're going to have a hard time finding them. None of us fits that bill. Sorry to hear they passed on a potentially good candidate over something like that. We need good people, not perfect people.

In a way, I think it brings the possibility of hiring complete sociopaths! Who else can lie to your face, feel no remorse and pass a polygraph? Its something we talk about amongst ourselves when we see some candidates. Thank God for the probationary period.

Thats too bad. He could have benefited from some of the "coaching" I, and others, received when we went into the military from our recruiters on what not to admit to.

Yeah, but a lot of that unravels durig te polygraph. Unless you are a complete sociopath, the polygraph can be difficult. Especially with the butt clinch/butt heat pad. Apparently many lies are telegraphed through the butt.

Sounds like condemnation of all police officers for the poor performance of a few...

Not exactly the appropriate tact to take. Imagine your employment being terminated because someone, somewhere within the company with the same responsibilities screws up? Is that how it's supposed to work?

Just wondering...
Sorry but depending on the company that is exactly what happens. Marketing doesn't sell as much widgets they can reduce manufacture head count. Why should LE be any different. A LEO screws up and takes money out of the city coffer why does that not come out of their budget.

Sorry but depending on the company that is exactly what happens. Marketing doesn't sell as much widgets they can reduce manufacture head count. Why should LE be any different. A LEO screws up and takes money out of the city coffer why does that not come out of their budget.

It doesn't work that way most of the time. Most settlements are paid out by an insurer.

No different than jihadis, can't change them, they are just evil and only want hate and violence. Only way to find peace is through helping them meet their maker.
as luck would have it I am in a particularly giving mood so if there are any extremest that wish to go ahead and get their 72 virgins please let me know because I will be happy yo give them to you.

In a way, I think it brings the possibility of hiring complete sociopaths! Who else can lie to your face, feel no remorse and pass a polygraph? Its something we talk about amongst ourselves when we see some candidates. Thank God for the probationary period.
Where do I apply??? Oh should I not admit that kind of thing???
All kidding aside we are raising a generation of sociopaths.. society and the media are telling us we should feel bad about this and bad about that when you're a kid you don't know why you just go along pretty soon you fake it all the time and just divorce your emotions from the situations. It is very hard being a parent these days especially to younger kids when you are competing with the media, School teachers, and a little liberal friends who have Democrat mom's and dads.

It doesn't work that way most of the time. Most settlements are paid out by an insurer.
The point being that there,are few repercussions for police misconduct. Even the chief of police makes out well from a drunk shooting and lieing to other police officers and John Q public gets stuck with the bill.

Great Work, but when are the guilty police officers going to jail for their crimes??

Never. Or more accurately, almost never (once in a blue moon a cop gets thrown under the bus - like Serpico!)

Don't expect to see cops going to jail; don't hold your breath. That's just not the way the world works. As long as there will be police, there will be the problems associated with the police. If you kicked every cop off the job, and replaced each one with someone else who was not a cop, you'd end up with exactly the same problems.

The only way to get rid of cop problems is to get rid of the institution. Arm all the peons, and let the market supply protection for those who can't or won't protect themselves. America did just fine before it had cops, and it's gotten worse ever since we abandoned that paradigm. (The same goes for education, by the way. We don't need government schools either.)

So...who you gonna call ...at least when shooting someone isn't an option or the situation doesn't warrent killing someone...last time I checked ....the old West did have cops and so did the Revolutionary period...when did we not have law enforcement?

.last time I checked ....the old West did have cops

No, it had sheriffs. And he deputized from the general population as needed.

Look at how the James gang met its end.

So...who you gonna call

I'll tell you what, I sure ain't gonna call any cops. That's just asking for more trouble.
What Happens When 911 Is Dialed by Charles E. Corry, Ph.D. (http://www.dvmen.org/dv-6.htm#descent)

It's funny, I was googling for "don't call 911" and I found there are a lot of people selling signs with that on it, heh.

No, it had sheriffs. And he deputized from the general population as needed.

Look at how the James gang met its end.

I'll tell you what, I sure ain't gonna call any cops. That's just asking for more trouble.
What Happens When 911 Is Dialed by Charles E. Corry, Ph.D. (http://www.dvmen.org/dv-6.htm#descent)

It's funny, I was googling for "don't call 911" and I found there are a lot of people selling signs with that on it, heh.

So when you consider the population of a town back then as apposed to a population of one now...whats the difference between a cop and a deputy? Most of the local LEO live in our communities and are vested here. Big cities are a different story, they don't care about the city or its people because they don't live there, they commute to work.

The link you provided ...is for domestic violence...the laws are the way they are for a reason. Say you are a police officer and you let a husband stay at home even if its the wife asking that he be left home and he kills her after you leave ,,,that's on you.

So the rational is no matter what shoot first and ask questions later? even if the situation doesn't warrant death? There are situations the cops are good for and are necessary for.

I am not saying that anyone should just lay down and not stand up to bad cops but there are a lot of good ones too. Putting them all into one group is well not very fair to all of them.

By all means if you don't want to call the cops if something goes wrong then don't...but have the courage of your convictions and if something {God forbid} should go bad don't blame the cops for not being there or not helping.

Now...If you were a cop and read your post would you want to help someone that had said what you said?

Addendum ......Saying all cops are bad is like saying all whites are bad just because of a few.

BTW ...NLEOMF estimate of "over 1.13mil. sworn officers" this was in 2014...there death rate is 3.4 out of 100,000. 318.9 million (2014) total population of the U.S. at that time.

I hardly think Wyatt and Doc could handle the ratio

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads