JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
May I suggest that you scout around an seek out a 1991-vintage S&W Airweight "Centennial" in .32 H&R Magnum? It provides an extra round, has plenty of penetrative power and can be easily emptied (in short order) into both the face and/or chest of a malefactor.

I like mine.

However, I know of at least one fellow who drew and shot his auto, from a pocket holster, during an earnest social interaction. The first round discharged, but his pistol then jammed, I think an FTF, due to pocket lint. Fortunately, his first shot encouraged a hasty resolution to the situation. However, his story experience stuck with me, and helped med decide on a small-size wheelgun. Maybe a strange choice for a southpaw, but it has always gone bang when I've pulled the trigger.

Sorry - I guess that's probably a different conversation. Hmm, revolver vs. automatic. Do you suppose anyone has had that discussion before? ;)

I have pocket carried for a VERY long time. 2 rules I always follow. #1 NOTHING but the pistol goes in that pocket.
#2. Every time I put on the pants after wash the pocket is turned inside out and cleaned. These simple rules will prevent a LOT of problems.

I just got home from picking up a new LCP II. Frankly, this thread got me looking into it and a quick trip to the LGS made it follow me home. I will say, the trigger is absolutely AMAZING compared to my old LCP Custom. Night and day difference. I will shoot it soon, but initial impression is great.

Let me know what you think after you shoot it the first time Kruejl. I would like to know your thoughts between the LCP and the Glock.

If your really in the sporting mood you could add the kimber to the list of comparison's:D

Ah, well I love my G42. It's a smooth shooter that I bought originally to get my wife into shooting pistol. She handles it ok, much better than my G19. It kinda morphed into my pocket carry after my LCP Custom found a new home. As far as comparing it to the Kimber, if you supply one I would be more than happy to share my thoughts on all 3! :D

Since you are a Walther fan..

Walther PPS meets your requirement for 9mm. You can choose your magazine capacity to match the size of your hand. 7 ought to do it. 8 if you have monster hands.

You have your choice of the original PPS with a paddle mag release and a rail, or the M2 version with rounded PPQ style grip and no rail.

Both PPS versions should fit most pockets, even with the 8 round mag. 7 would be better and still allow a full grip for most large hands.

Viridian C5L on the original PPS carried in a Remora holster with the little magnet sewn in to automatically activate the laser. Pocket, backpack, wherever. Point and bang.

How 'bout the Ruger lc9s pro? I believe it's smaller than the Glock 43 and is on sale at NW Armory for $250?. I forget.
For a real front pants pocket gun I'd probably go with a .380 of some sort though.

PPK/s Walther or even the PP models up to 380, are all a little pudgy yet 'roomier'.....

and the older Colt/Browning/Llama gov.380 frames are surprisingly comfy for Bluto fingers....;)

Well, I think the older I get, the more Fudd I get, but for me it's all about the j-frame. I rock a S&W 442 in a PCS pocket holster. I have largish hands (at least my wife says I do), and the stock Smith grips were a little small. I replaced them with a set of Hogue bantam grips. The Hogues really made a difference for me, in terms of how well I can keep a hold on it while shooting +P loads.

I also have a Glock 43, and as long as I have an extended mag of some kind in it, it fits my hand kinda sorta acceptably well. However, it hasn't knocked the 442 off the throne. It does hide nice and easy in a Desantis pocket holster though.

One part of that decision, for me anyway, is some concern about pocket carrying an auto. Now I know - I know - that everyone regularly tears down and cleans their carry guns. Right? Right?!?!

However, I know of at least one fellow who drew and shot his auto, from a pocket holster, during an earnest social interaction. The first round discharged, but his pistol then jammed, I think an FTF, due to pocket lint. Fortunately, his first shot encouraged a hasty resolution to the situation. However, his story experience stuck with me, and helped med decide on a small-size wheelgun. Maybe a strange choice for a southpaw, but it has always gone bang when I've pulled the trigger.

Sorry - I guess that's probably a different conversation. Hmm, revolver vs. automatic. Do you suppose anyone has had that discussion before? ;)
If zombie's were attacking you, a revolver would be a beast to reload. A semi auto loads quickly. With practice you can clear a jam. The ruger LCP is known for shooting hundreds of rounds of different types of ammo without jamming. That's the type of semi auto you want, one that's been fire tested.

I have Eleven pocket pistols, my main squeeze is a Glock 33 with a leather pocket holster by RKBA, it does fill the pocket and a little hard to grasp lightning fast, but same for the smaller ones. My 33 is 357 Sig and I carry 9+1 in the gun. The G-27 (40 S&W) is the same size and capacity, the G-26 (9 MM) same size but I think carries two more. With all three of these Glocks it is not comforting to grasp, my medium hands (I'm a little guy 6' 2") my pinkie has to curl under the magazine. I can shoot it surprisingly well. I have 357 Sig to get that 124 Grain 9MM bullet moving 150 to 200 FPS faster than same bullet out of 9MM Luger. So #1 with me is my G-33. Trigger safety (Well some other internal safeties, but trigger only on the outside)
Guns 2 and 3 are two Springfield XDS's one in 45 (My favorite, but it only carries with 5+1) and the 9MM which can carry 7+1. The XDS 45 is very accurate, surprisingly soft shooting for a little 45. I have a Crimson Trace laser on the 9MM so the wife has absconded with it. They make a XDS now in 40 with dimensions identical to the other two. These are pretty easy to pocket carry, your pinkie will curl under the magazine. They were the rage a few years back. They had a recall, both mine went back, all the new ones are fine, they are a great choice! I have a Leather RKBA holster for the XDS 45.
Gun 4 and the one I would now carry if my G-33 was unavailable would be the Ruger LC9s Pro a single stack with a good reliable trigger, trigger safety only (The regular LC9s (non-Pro) has a external thumb safety). The holster and my trigger finger make it safe for me. it is a 7+1 with the flush make, carry a extended spare with 9 more. It is very narrow for great concealment but as a result it is a kicker. Shoot it again and it will kick you again, but it is accurate and reliable. I do not have a Glock 43 at 150 to 200 more, but I understand the Glock is softer shooting, not as narrow. Broken record, the leather holster is from RKBA.
That gets us to the 380's, I don't personally carry a 380 regularly as a prime mover, I have friends that do and I do occasionally when greater discretion is desired. I do regularly carry one as a Backup. My favorite is my Colt but I'll talk about that one down the list.
Gun 5 is the largest Pocket 380 that I have....a Glock 42, a 6+1 380, it is only a little smaller than my G-33, soft shooting, easy to rack accurate, mine has been reliable, My wife glommed onto it too. All of the 380's have the pinkie under the Mag, if it can fit your pocket this is the one. Again RKBA.
Guns 6 and 7 are Ruger's LCP and LCP Custom, nearly the same except for the Custom has a Stainless guide Rod (I don't know why except there may have been reliability questions, then again I don't know) it also has a pretty red trigger that is more comfortable, a real difference, Finally the Custom has way better sights, taller front and rear with a dot on the front. These are uncomfortable to shoot a lot. Both 6+1, the Custom is my EDC BUG. I use a Galco holster for it due to the sights, RKBA for the other.
Gun 8 would be a Kahr CW380. I like this gun it is very accurate using PMC Bronze or Underwood XTP's, but it refused to eat Fiocchi ammunition and I have yet to get to the bottom of it. I did after my last session, detail striped the gun down replaced the striker and Guide rods with more reliable part from Lakeline LLC (I think that's the name) according to other forums the striker breaks now and again. I replaced both for reliability. This gun has good sights and was the most accurate of all my pocket 380's. I will just have to pay attention to what I feed it. 6+1 or 7+1 with a extended Mag that gives me (Medium hands) pinkie purchase. RKBA.
Gun 9 is my Colt Mustang XSP is easy shooting, I really like it, most expensive of my pocket pistols, yet only average accurate. I don't mind carrying a pocket pistol cocked and locked, but it make most people a little antsy as the safety does not lock the slide. So while I love it many don't or won't, that's why it is down this list.
Gun 10 is fairly new to the market a Remington RM-380. This gun is the easiest of all to rack, reasonably accurate and reliable. End of kind words. Notchy trigger. Dimples some cases. Hurt my trigger finger on strong side, support hand was okay using it only. Still it will shoot.
Gun 11 is not generally available anymore, it is ugly and clunky, but it is reliable and as accurate as channel sights have a right to be, A S&W Sigma 380.
Too bad about the LCP II mentioned earlier, I have one on order anyway. I also have a S&W Shield in 45 on the way, not sure is it is pocket able or not

Well if I wear cargo pants and my shooting vest... close. But it gets heavy!

I only carry my G33 and the LCP Custom usually, but the 380 could be my Kahr CW380 or LCP II I need to shoot both a bit before the LCP-C moves over.

Currently, I carry a Sig-Sauer P938 as a pocket carry; it's a 9mm. I don't have large hands but do like my 'pinky' on the grip. The mag has a built in extension that extends the grip. I bought the Sig new and it was faulty from the factory; they did repair work on it and it shoots fine now (at least the first time, only time, I have shot it). Hope you'll have better luck than I did...it still seems like the right pocket carry for me, but, I need to run it several more time before I can trust it.

A .380 Auto self-shucker doesn't impress me unless it's loaded with Underwood "Extreme Cavitator" ammunition. I prefer a .32 Auto loaded with the Underwood fodder, due to shot placement/penetration issues. (The .32 Auto simply penetrates better and performs better than the .380, despite what the "experts" say).

Let's be honest with ourselves, when it comes to cartridges that are less powerful than the 9mm Luger, the higher the velocity, the better. When it comes to the.380, most of the FMJ ammunition leaves the barrel at the same velocity as the .32 Auto. The greater sectional density and frontal area tends to cause the .380 Auto FMJ to shed velocity faster. Were I to shoot the .380 Auto, I would use the Underwood ammunition exclusively.

The "Extreme Cavitator" ammunition from Underwood ammunition in .32 Auto has been proven to provide more penetration and a larger permanent crush cavity than any FMJ load extant.

In this case, bigger (read: less controllable with a larger volley of shots being fired) isn't always better. Sometimes a smaller bullet can be more effective. In this instance, a magazine of my CZ Zastava .32 Auto filled with Underwood ammunition, under stressful situations, can be more effective than the larger .380.

There are times when "less is more". This is one of them.

Last Edited:
A .380 Auto self-shucker doesn't impress me unless it's loaded with Underwood "Extreme Cavitator" ammunition. I prefer a .32 Auto loaded with the Underwood fodder, due to shot placement/penetration issues. (The .32 Auto simply penetrates better and performs better than the .380, despite what the "experts" say).

Let's be honest with ourselves, when it comes to cartridges that are less powerful than the 9mm Luger, the higher the velocity, the better.

There are times when "less is more". This is one of them.

When it comes to CC especially "pocket carry" it often comes down to what the person is willing to carry. I am a 1911 .45 fan boy, BIG TIME. I "know" There are better designs now days, just don't care. Problem is there are times I just will not carry one of mine. I know I "should" but I also know reality. I have known some over the years who would always carry a serious firearm. Great for them. Sadly many will not. If that "quick trip" with no gun turns into disaster that better gun left home is worthless. So the old 1st rule of a gun fight, have a gun comes in. ANY gun beats no gun. I often carry a .32 Kel-tec. Don't know if it will "stop" a threat. Beats hell out of the .45 at home. Everything else I tried for pocket carry left me feeling like I had a rock in my pocket so I would give up. Not to mention there is UNTOLD times when the gun stops the problem with out ever being fired. This has happened to me.

It might seem common knowledge to the old gun guys, but some might not realize the Ruger LCP is a virtual mechanical copy of the Kel-Tec P-AT3 380 ACP and P-32 32 ACP pistols. Ruger a little prettier is all.

I use a European single action .32 "police turn-in" that's all steel. I can empty the darned thing in "less than a heartbeat". I can also group them very tightly. Couple this with the penetrative and destructive properties of the Underwood "Extreme Cavitator" loads, and you can keep your .380 Auto.

Thank you very much.

It might seem common knowledge to the old gun guys, but some might not realize the Ruger LCP is a virtual mechanical copy of the Kel-Tec P-AT3 380 ACP and P-32 32 ACP pistols. Ruger a little prettier is all.

KT started quite a deal when they came out with the P-32. Up until then I had all but given up on pocket carry. Nothing worked for me. I finally ended up with a NAA .22. That I would always carry. Not much of a gun. I had come close to a Seecamp a few times. The VERY poor customer service horror stories always kept me from laying out the cash.
Now I do like the new offering from Ruger in the .380. Like the changes they have made. Doubt I will end up with one unless something happens to one of my P-32's. The CC market has really brought out some great designs the last many years.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top